News Flight MH17

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
People are presuming the entire aircraft went up in a huge explosion. My completely uneducated guess is that any missile would go for the hottest thing it saw, which would be an engine. It's perfectly feasible for a large part of the fuselage to go spiraling downward, with its passengers still concious, until it hit the ground or broke up before.

I think it's very likely that a good many people on that plane would have been concious on the way down.

The missile they think was used is radar guided and not heat seeking (unlike most man portable ones) so would have gone for the larger radar signature i.e. the fuselage not the engines.

This. MANPADS use IR seekers because they're cheaper and work better at low level where most shoulder-launched missiles are used. Radar guided missiles are big fuckers and they're designed to destroy both the airframe and the pilot and crew (because by Cold War logic, the Russians knew it was more important to take out the pilots and crews because they took longer to replace than the aircraft).

DaGaffer

Viewed from beneath, an aircraft's wingspan is easily as large as its fuselage.

The missiles "pop-up" and try to lock on to the aircraft from above (that whole "get the pilot" thing again) , and the warhead isn't just explosive, its fragmentation munitions, so its like a giant shotgun shell hitting the plane.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
There is a video been posted on Facebook of mobile phone footage of the plane falling from the sky, it looks as if the right wing was hit, and the whole plane (complete) apart from the wing on fire, falls all the way down

ileks

Part of the furniture
I hope for the sake of the poor bastards on board they died instantly. I can't think of many worse ways to die than descending from the sky with your kids next to you :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is a video been posted on Facebook of mobile phone footage of the plane falling from the sky, it looks as if the right wing was hit, and the whole plane (complete) apart from the wing on fire, falls all the way down

Yeah, seen part of it. Can clearly hear the bang and see the plane intact as it goes down. Poor fuckers.

However, death would have still been pretty soon after the rocket hit, or at least loss of consciousness.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can someone post a link? Want to see and make my own views on it. So far I am leading on the West blaming Russia. (cannot trawl facebook as I fucking hate it)

soze

I am a FH squatter
In some of that it looks like the wing is in tact but on fire? If that is the case if the pilot was alive and awake could you not have leveled out into a glide? Or if the flaps on the wing on fire were broken would that stop you gliding? Also for autopilot not to level it out suggests its not possible or all the electronics were gone?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Has that cunt from Sky been fired yet for rutting through the belongings of one of the passengers live on air yet?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ugh I happened to be watching Sky News last night or the night before and they had all the Britons that had died up on their big wall thing in the studio and they were going through them one by one showing all sorts of social media posts and videos and stuff. It's sickening. I know it's public domain and everything (up to a point) but there should be some sort of code of conduct about trawling through somebody's facebook (or whatever) page for little nuggets they can pontificate about as if they knew the person.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not according to any Murdoch rag/trash TV.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The news is certainly getting more and more bold when it comes to probing stuff, when it comes to tragedy like this though I think they should be more fucking respectful rather than dribbling over fucking ratings, twats.

DaGaffer

In some of that it looks like the wing is in tact but on fire? If that is the case if the pilot was alive and awake could you not have leveled out into a glide? Or if the flaps on the wing on fire were broken would that stop you gliding? Also for autopilot not to level it out suggests its not possible or all the electronics were gone?

That's not the same plane, its an AN-30.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You try thinking clearly when you've been walking around fields strewn with the bodies of children and rotting flesh.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Props to him for writing the article but he shouldn't try and make what he said on air sound more like an apology than it really was. And this is going from the video that was posted with his article so it surely cant be victim to malicious editing or whatever (and I can certainly hear him clearly so he can't play video compression on t'inter)..

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You lot are a bunch of retards when it comes to theories and judgement.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Another plane missing between burkina faso and algeria, spooky year to be flying (or at least much more attention! )

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Forty-eight dead in a crash in Taiwan last night as well. :\

Gumbo

FH is my second home
You try thinking clearly when you've been walking around fields strewn with the bodies of children and rotting flesh.

I take your point, but you work in TV Tom. You know he'll will have set up there, standing between two piles of belongings, and known the camera was going to slowly pan over them while he did his bit. It would have been discussed before they went to him. I don't actually think the touching of the belongings is necessarily the worst bit. It's the lingering camerawork, drinking in the personal nature of the belongings.

As for the on air apology at the time. That had the air of a schoolboy being caught out, not a genuine, 'OMG what am I doing?' moment.

Typical Sky fayre really. Getting more like Fox News by the day.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I work in television and I also work for Sky. I've only ever met one of their reporters who could be compared to Fox, and he had a very large coming down to Earth moment many years ago. I haven't seen him in ages.

Suffice it to say I think you're wrong on every count. Television news is spontaneous, always has been, always will be. And in that kind of environment, looking at the corpses of dead people (and children), nobody's mind will be 100% on the job.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I feel like we're getting bogged down here over an insignificant point in the larger scale of things but it wasn't so much about what he did at the time it was more the way that, in the article, he tried to dress up what he had said to make it sound more contrite than it really was.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Agreed callous, some furious backpedalling after a Twitter outcry.

It wasn't that spontaneous Tom, the words might have been, but the tableau wasn't. They clearly hadn't run up there, shaky camera and all, and delivered a "we've just come across this pile" piece. It was a considered piece deliberately meant to be emotional. Tabloid at best, ill considered at middle, disgusting at worse. Someone should have gone, "Hang on a minute, is this really news, or is it just voyeurism?" It came across as vicarious death tourism.

With hindsight a similar piece could have been delivered with the gathering of belongings in the middle distance, showing the collection of them briefly before returning to the reporter, but without delving into the personal belongings of people who might well have still been left lying out in the fields. Of course hindsight can excuse a lot, but it can't excuse a veteran reporter who very definitely should have known better, and indeed admits that he should have known better in his "apology".

There's not much point trying to defend the indefensible.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is if you are a Murdoch drone.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Lets see the media coverage of some obscure flight over Africa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom