First impressions?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
My helicopter certainly drops out the sky like a broken bird, I must learn how to use the keyboard again, leave my uber-joystick to one side.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
The problem I've found with the throttle and the nam helis is that say 50 - 100% is where it registers for making the chopper gain height. At about 25/30 - 50% will bring you into a kind of auto-hover, were no matter where you put the throttle you'll neither gain or lose any altitude. Then 0-25% is where you'll start losing the altitude. Its this extra auto-hover type situation that wrong footed me for a while, until you get used to it it is a tad strange. As its not like DC at all.

I do think that this system is slightly easier on the keys because pressing neither up or down will use this auto-hover feature, then obviously down will take you down and up will take you up. It is a system designed more for the keyboard, but not unworkable on the joystick - once you get used to it.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
I've never understood why Battlefield handles joystick throttles this way. I want all the way back on my joystick throttle to represent 0% throttle on an aircraft and 0% collective in a helo. I'm not really comfortable with this weird 'reverse throttle' thing. I usually keep my throttle all the way down when not in use, so I find it disturbing to jump in a jet and start going backwards. WTF is that all about?

In most games involving helicopter flight (Flight Sim 2004 for example), I can pretty much do all the fancy stuff: take-off, hover, hover taxi, land, side slipping, flaring, landing, etc)... but to attempt this properly in BFV i reckon I'd benefit from a speedometer and an altimeter at the very least.

One tip for those with force-feedback joysticks (which BFV doesn't support). My stick has an option to turn on 0-100% default force in games which don't have FF. I was crashing within a minute every time before I turned this on, as without it, the stick is totally loose with no self centering or resistance at all.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
its a good game with 2 small issues. The M60 is a better sniper rifle that the actual sniper rifles, and the grass doesnt provide any cover from a certain distance.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, I've noticed that too - sometimes seems like people can be easier to see when they are further away than they are when they are close up as their clothes contrast with the background more.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Right, first impressions, afte playing with 64 bots single player for a while.

It's like an expensive mod for BF1942 (as in not like DC). Different guns, different player models, blah blah. I've found the mouse to be laggy and unresponsive in any resolution over 1024x768 and the graphics go cuckoo when I use AA or AF.
bfv1.jpg

Can't think why; my AMD Athlon 2600+ XP, 1GB RAM, GF4 Ti4200 128MB plays BF1942 fine. I'm gonna upgrade soon, but still... this shit shouldn't be happening.

Mr.Bee

Fledgling Freddie
I know most of you dont care about this but the AI is really unfinished in most of the maps it seems (they grab tanks/jeeps then just stay there...) and of course with them being bots they can see through all the jungle trees and bushes making it a nightmare to play against them. I know the game is mainly multiplayer but I wish they would take more time on the AI...

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
The messed up textures can be fixed by rolling back to an older graphics driver for the Nvidia cards, the ATI cards are screwed until a patch is released.

Not played against any bots yet, to be honest i doubt if I will as i very rarely play single player anymore unless it has a good storyline.

Clown

Part of the furniture
So I need the latest nVidia drivers for DC, and roll back for Vietnam? WATTAFAK?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
adams901 said:
The messed up textures can be fixed by rolling back to an older graphics driver for the Nvidia cards, the ATI cards are screwed until a patch is released.

Not played against any bots yet, to be honest i doubt if I will as i very rarely play single player anymore unless it has a good storyline.
Seems to work fine on ATI cards if you disable AA

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Clown said:
So I need the latest nVidia drivers for DC, and roll back for Vietnam? WATTAFAK?

The latest nVidia drivers from the nVidia website (not off the Vietnam CD), will work fine with 'nam.

Make sure you have the very latest :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Ok. I'll check when I get home. Last time I said I had the latest drivers, I got home to find that they weren't. I did only download them on Tuesday though... Hmm.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
On a different note, the custom combat settings look quite good with the exception of one thing, you cant remove individual weapons. It lists the 6 weapons slots but if you remove a slot it removes that slot from all classes.

Prehaps this is something else EA need to look into.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Can you replace a weapon in one slot for one class ?

kosh

Loyal Freddie
bfveitbug....laggy buggy worse than bf19laggy2, and worst of all NO SABER !!!! ;)

kosh

Loyal Freddie
Deadmanwalking said:
Lag tends to happen when running it on a pentium2 and geforce.

maybe so but im not, and that still doesnt explain the lack of a lightsaber :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
This game has gone from good to god awful and shite.

I can't even join a server most of the time, it's that bad. And when I do it's completely unplayable.

mank!

Part of the furniture
leggy said:

I can't even join a server most of the time, it's that bad. And when I do it's completely unplayable.

I was playing the reclaiming Hue City map earlier and the lag was fucking awful. My mouse was moving all by itself. Pity because I was having fun until then.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
If thats been within the last day or so, that may be due to the new Black Bag Ops Server Manager. It's only in a beta stage atm, but if a lot of the servers have upgraded to this and it does create lag (which I'm pretty sure it might), then thats the problem.

Hopefully (if this is the case), it shouldnt be too long before the problems are identified and fixed.

The-Don

Loyal Freddie
I love this game, I mainly stick to clan servers since the public servers seem to attract spammy idiots.

I am however finding the m60 is getting on my tits, it's over powered and everyone uses one... hopefully it will be 'downgraded' with the next patch if EA ever do release one :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Ater all I said about the M60 I've decided it doesn't need downgrading or making any less powerful, there just needs to be a limit to how many people can carry them. I can people with the AK47 just as easily with the M60.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
leggy said:

What's your problem? You got an old PC? Using a 56K dial-up? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom