First impressions?

mank!

Part of the furniture
Been playing a bit tonight and enjoying it. Some maps are much harder than others and some are bloody confusing. It seems as if no one can fly the choppers either, I was playing earlier and people were just waiting around for choppers to spawn and people would get in and the pilot would promptly take off and crash horribly. Repeat ad nauseum.

Despite all of that once you get into a game it's great. Crawling around the undergrowth, flanking the enemy, nicking an enemy jeep and flying across the countryside listening to Canned Heat and jumping out and taking out two enemies and capping a base. Great fun. The weapons are magnificent, although it does get quite irritating that you can die from one AK47 shot sometimes but that's realism for you, I suppose!

I bought a Joystick today and I'm useless at flying but once I get the hang of that I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more. I'm trying to decide whether I prefer sniping or charging the enemy with my heavy assault rifle and grenade launcher.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? Bear in mind I'm not a BF42'er although I did play it a bit.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I do like it, though at the moment what with all the bugs Id still say desert combat is a bit ahead.
Good fun all the same, just ashame they cant make it work ffs :/
The choppers are easy, try the ones in DC :)

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Great game. EAUK servers have lots of lag but jolt solved that problem for me. Can get annoying at times but most of the time it is very good.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I think it will be a little while whilst people figure out the exploits, enjoy it whilst you can.

The general rule should be "stick together", in most cases you can't see where the shots come from and the disorientation is so bad, if you see a partner get shot you get a chance to hit the deck and go unnoticed.

Several times I've hidden away and watched enemies run aimlessly by, it was so tempted to shoot them in that back but I had a base to cap !

Another time I got an unobvious sniper position over the airfield, i.e. not high up, I was having great fun with that one, got a huge amount of kills that simply would not have been possible in 1942, as unless you keep moving you will always get spotted.

My sniper "downed" a helicopter too ! Killed the pilot when he was hovering.

I can see the LMG/RPG class getting popular, it's only downside is the long reload time. BTW the reload animations are superb.

I do hope people continue to stick with the "pure" skins, once you start using hi definition skins in this it loses all realism.

The in vehicle music seems a bit wierd, surely it gives you away ?

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
In-vehicle music is for effect, adds to the vietnam setting etc.

I think that the LAW/M60/Medic combo is unbelievable. Not sure what kind of drug they were smoking when they thought that one up. I do think that the game needs more maps, maybe some open space ones with very long grass etc.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I was just playing on Jolt and the auto-team switch is INFURIATING. I kept dying for no reason, respawning and shooting an enemy. Who was on my team.

Drove me mental.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
First impressions are that it's good fun but buggy as anything. I'm getting repeated graphics glitches, sound dropouts, crashes, reboots, hard lockups etc. Twice now it's just shut the PC down without warning :s

And omg the planes & choppers are hard to fly! I'm giving up on them for now I think ;) And the M60 combo is deffo overpowered, I agree.

I reckon this'll be a top LAN game though, once they patch out some of the nasty bugs :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
One time you play it , its great, you think omg is this one of the best games ever?
Next time, for no reason, its as laggy as anything and feels terrible.
Add to that the fact that I crash to desktop every 2 or 3 maps makes me conclude that I wont be giving up on Desert Combat just yet ;)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
granny said:
And omg the planes & choppers are hard to fly! I'm giving up on them for now I think ;) And the M60 combo is deffo overpowered, I agree.

Hehe just saw this.

M8 the choppers and planes are a piece of piss, and have certainly been dumbed down a bit since DC. Having said that , its prolly a good thing as I cant fly the choppers in DC, but the ones in Vietnam are a peice of piss :)

granny

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
Hehe just saw this.

M8 the choppers and planes are a piece of piss, and have certainly been dumbed down a bit since DC. Having said that , its prolly a good thing as I cant fly the choppers in DC, but the ones in Vietnam are a peice of piss :)
Maybe it's cos I'm trying to use mouse/kb instead of joystick? Or maybe I just haven't got a clue :D

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Been practicing a bit and turned the mouse sensitivity down a tad for vehicles, I can now manage a helicopter... kind of...

OK that's a lie, I just turn all that fancy hardware into smoking wreckage, it's just that now I usually manage to get past the base perimeter in it first :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
I really like it. As Xane said the reload animations are superb. The radio rocks but definitely does give you away. I found two NVAs who had stolen my jeep because they left the radio on. I, of course, shot them. Thieving gets.

My only problem atm is the lag. I get no DT crashes or gfx glitches but when a high pinger was joining the last server I was on, there was noticable lag. It subsided when they left*.

*Read as vote kicked :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My posts look pretty negative . I really do like it :) Its awesome. I just wish it worked properly thats all. I mean , they had BF1942 , which works a treat, and they're going bring out a Vietnam option. Great I think.
So its a bit of a dissappointment to crash to DT every 2 or three maps, and to have to turn my sound down to fuck all. Its not like im running an old PC, this is a pretty serious bit of kit.
Oh well, wait for a patch , and put up with it I suppose :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Remember 1942 in the beginning though. Laggy horrible nonsense. I stopped playing it for ages until they brought the 1.2 patch out. ]

This isn't nearly as bad. Just had an hours worth of play with no bother whatsoever.

/edit

I forgot to add that the server browser is shockingly bad. Use ASE if you can.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Remarkably I must be the only person who doesn't find it laggy or buggy. I've come across no bugs yet and it runs really well, although I have graphics down on the low setting, but it still looks good. The gun animations are fantastic, right down to the clip on the AK47 moving when you move and when you stop. I'm getting a ping around 20 which is pretty damned good. It's never crashed either.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Laggy as fuck, graphical glitches coming out of its ears, M60/LAW seriously too powerful, too few maps, excellent game, been playing it all weekend.

Cant run it at all in medium detail or above, artifacts everywhere, all sorts of glitches but runs quite smoothly. No glitches at all on low detail and still looks reasonable.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I've decided that the US is vastly overpowered which is rather ironic considering they lost the bloody war.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive finally come across what seems to be the best thingfor me atm, 1280-960 res, with the detail slider turned down from hi quality to just quality :)( )
Sound turned to lowest horrible crackly 32 channel.
Doesnt lag anymore and still looks fairly nice :)
Now if only I could stop it crashing to desktop Id be laughing :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
They didnt lose the war millitarily Mank, they lost it because they didnt have the resolve to finish it, to be honest .

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
From what little I've played (only got it early Sunday) it's a great game, but as you've all said - buggy as hell. It's got more bugs than BF1942 which is a shame.

Anyone know if they'll start releasing DC for it and 1942 (save me installing both BF's ;)) ?

I keep getting graphical glitches such as weapons / hud going invis, flags being 1/2 there etc., just had the game just quit randomly too.

Running it at max details, 6xAA 16xAF on a 9800 pro.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
SheepCow said:
I keep getting graphical glitches such as weapons / hud going invis, flags being 1/2 there etc., just had the game just quit randomly too.

Running it at max details, 6xAA 16xAF on a 9800 pro.

Turn the details down.....

Although saying that i am running it at full whack 1600 x 1200 no problems whatsoever. No amzingly anooying bugs yet found.

Lag is utter utter wank on some servers at certain times. And really spoils it. Can be running as smooth as silk then just die and fall over into a laggy cesspit.

I think when the server changes maps it eats every available resource the box it is on has, meaning all other servers on it lagg like a mofo.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Deadmanwalking said:
Turn the details down.....

Although saying that i am running it at full whack 1600 x 1200 no problems whatsoever. No amzingly anooying bugs yet found.

Lag is utter utter wank on some servers at certain times. And really spoils it. Can be running as smooth as silk then just die and fall over into a laggy cesspit.

I think when the server changes maps it eats every available resource the box it is on has, meaning all other servers on it lagg like a mofo.
I've been told it hates ATI cards, what are you using?

No lag or low fps btw, just buggy ;)

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
9800 pro 128.

And it seems it hates all graphics cards (Or so the "l337 overclockers shout")

Have yet to find any bugs. But we will see.

Mofo8

Fledgling Freddie
I think I'm of the same opinion as most. It's a wee bit buggy.There are some serious balance issues for them to address in the first patch. But... it's fun!! :) I got it yesterday afternoon, and ended up playing it till 2am in the morning... even though I'm up for work at 6am :(

I really don't know what they were on when they thought up the M60 combos.

I think it's going to be a classic, after a few patches, and a few upgraded vid cars.

BTW... I have a measely Radeon 9200 and it runs fine with no glitches. It doesn't like AA/AF with Radeon cards is what I heard.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
locks up every 10 secs now for about 2 seconds, grapics look patchy, buggy...nearly took it back to the shop yesterday...

but am now late for work due to playing it non stop so go figure ;)

a few patches and it will be sweet. The best fun was shooting my M60 down on Jonny Nip whilst I was in a chopper with a couple of other US listening to War! :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Mofo8 said:
BTW... I have a measely Radeon 9200 and it runs fine with no glitches. It doesn't like AA/AF with Radeon cards is what I heard.

I'm using the same card and its struggling. I've had to turn the detail down and it still grinds, particularly on maps like Hue with loads of buildings and foliage. I think a card/RAM upgrade is gonna have to happen if I want to play this properly or its just going to piss me off. Its kind of worrying that my PC, which is a fairly decent spec (3.0GHz/512Mb P4), will need a few hundred quid spending to play this, kind of limits the appeal for most people I reckon. Lets hope patches help and help soon.

Planes and Helis are def easier than DC, and the guided missiles make it even easier (although flying over SAM sites is a definite no-no :)) - The Phantom's crap though, turning circle of a supertanker.

I'm afraid once I discovered the M60/LAW combo, I haven't used anything else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom