First impressions?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
SheepCow said:
Running it at max details, 6xAA 16xAF on a 9800 pro.

This is your problem. I also have a 9800pro and have had no problems at all.(In the graphics dept anyway!)
Turn your AA off mate :)

granny

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
I'm afraid once I discovered the M60/LAW combo, I haven't used anything else!

First task as US: Choose M60/LAW, waste charlie!
First task as NVA: Kill yankee devil, steal M60/LAW, defend country!

Despite all the horrible bugs I've been having a blast :) Yeah the in-game server browser sucks badly but it has 1 major advantage over ASE - it's a lot faster to get into a game once a slot opens on a popular server. Talking of which, the Jolt servers are very good, totally lag-free, need lots more of them please :D

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone want to comment on its long term term appeal? Is it gonna pick up from where BF1942 left off or will it be like the expansions where people played for a while then went back? How much does it improve upon the original? Is there any real feeling of 'newness' or should it just have been another BF1942 expansion?

Haven't decided whether to buy it yet because money is pretty tight. I don't wanna spend a weeks food money on an inedible turkey :[

throdgrain

FH is my second home
It feels familiar, but its different to BF1942. Its graphically prettier , the explosions are great, the way the choppers whip up the grass and foliage on take off is excellent. The reload animations are like the best Ive ever seen, and the guns look superb too.
Will it take over where BF1942 left off?
I think it will, if only because ,among other things, EAUK has turned off all its BF1942 servers, they are running Vietnam now. So if you want to play BF theres a lot less places now anyway. I like to think my whinging at Adams got us one Jolt server running all BF maps, but strangely enough thats been empty.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
I have yet to get my head around the whole M60/LAW problem. Yes they can kill tanks in about 4 shots, and kill a few infantry that run at them......

It is far from overpowered, but then again people will always find something to blame for them dieing. As it can never be that they were killed fairly and squarely.

"OMgs11!!1 napalm1!!1 leek keeled meh!!! N00b ban!11"

xane

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
I've decided that the US is vastly overpowered which is rather ironic considering they lost the bloody war.

The text on the loading screens is quite informative in this respect. The US never really "lost" the war as the aim was to prevent communism spreading into South Vietnam. The protest movement that arose from the war that is more dominant today would make it appear otherwise, certainly they lost the political war.

As regards the LAW, one thing I've noticed is that it is overpowered because its reload time is a lot shorter than other AT weapons. I think this would be resolved soon.

FYI, the LAW is a one-shot weapon, so the "reload" is a simple unclip and extend the barrel, what it misses out is the "get the next one from my rucksack" part that makes it so fast :)

I don't think the US is overpowered, one of the nastiest weapons on the Vietnamese side is the booby trap, put that on a occupied vehicle and they are dead in one go. Also the US doesn't seem to have an equivilent for the 1942 Engineer Explosives Packs, whereas the Vietnamese do (the dynamite packs).

Also the SA-7 is a bit lethal !

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Just to reinforce what I just said, check out this summary of NVA booby traps, just like with the original 1942 game I think this class is underrated and will start being used once people discover how to use the equipment.

Remember in 1942 the Engineer class was being used a lot, especially when people started aiming properly using the one-shot rifles and learning how to chuck explosive packs a distance. The updates to the Pacific Theatre to introduce self-loading rifles boosted the Engineer class a lot.

The NVA Engineers all have semi-auto rifles that are quite accurate, so I don't see it too long before they start becoming dominant and balancing out the "uber M60/LAW" class.

granny

Fledgling Freddie
Good point xane, as a total BF n00b (never played BF1942) and someone who's not played an FPS proper for a loooong time I think one of the things that stands out about the M60 is it's ease of use.

It's not so much the LAW per se - for me it's more the M60, it seems more accurate and packs more punch than the viet MMG does. The fact that you get a LAW as 2nd weapon with the MMG is just gravy. If the NVA loadout was RPG + MMG then I think it'd be just as powerful a choice. I always tend to gravitate towards squad support weaponry in these games anyway, I was a die-hard M249'er in CS, great weapons :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
omg para noob :D

I have been playing this all weekend relentlessly. There is some serious satisfaction in placing a well aimed rocket into a passing river boat full of US soldiers (from a watch tower).

mank!

Part of the furniture
I think I was shooting you yesterday granny. I was on the server with swisseh as well.

Anyway, I think once they put a limit on the number of people who can be each class the game will be a lot more even. It's a bit too easy for the US to dominate with the M60. I was on a server yesterday and I was the only person not using the the M60 on the US side and half the VC were using M60's too. Some maps are easier for the US to dominate than others though, it's not totally uneven as I've seen Charlie win plenty of times.

I'm also fed up of getting in choppers with someone who can't bloody fly. Someone took off and flew straight out of the map with a full chopper meaning everyone in it died. Gnh.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
The game is really good and once they bring out one or two patches for balancing and fixing a few things I think it could prove to be one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. It's also nice when you have a few people with you rather than being alone, the game was obviously made to encourage people to stick together but it still isn't happening as much as I'd like. I usually play on a LAN with one of my mates or brothers but one other person isn't really enough.

Sulphuric

Fledgling Freddie
[BF noob alert]

How do you pick up an M60 if you've playing as VC/NVA then?

Just run over their corpse?

mank!

Part of the furniture
Press G or whatever key you assigned to 'use'.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Like i said earlier i see no problem with the balance at the moment.

Everyone just uses the M60 as they heard it was "uber" the NVA MG is it's equal if not it's better.

Plus the NVA have heat seeking infantry based weapons for anti-air. The Americans don't.

They are 2 very different and distinctive sides. If we go down the "Omg i got killed it's unbalanced" route, this will just turn into a MMO game. Where the differences between sides is squashed to keep a couple of morons happy.

Oh and punghi sticks rock.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Deadmanwalking said:
Like i said earlier i see no problem with the balance at the moment.

Everyone just uses the M60 as they heard it was "uber" the NVA MG is it's equal if not it's better.

Plus the NVA have heat seeking infantry based weapons for anti-air. The Americans don't.

They are 2 very different and distinctive sides. If we go down the "Omg i got killed it's unbalanced" route, this will just turn into a MMO game. Where the differences between sides is squashed to keep a couple of morons happy.

Oh and punghi sticks rock.

I'm not moaning because I keep dying. I'm not really moaning, I just feel it's a little unbalanced.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just played it online for the first time (I got it on Friday but only had to time to look at SP for half an hour or so until now). Damn I suck at this. I'm a fair DC player so maybe the jungle doesn't suit me :)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I just came off a server running some map in a city (one with the woman giving the anti-US propganda over the tannoy?).

What a fucking LAUGH!

Storming the enemy (I was NVA) with a t-60, funny as fuck...

Meh, hurry up with patches, this is FUN :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
Xtro said:
I just came off a server running some map in a city (one with the woman giving the anti-US propganda over the tannoy?).

What a fucking LAUGH!

Storming the enemy (I was NVA) with a t-60, funny as fuck...

Meh, hurry up with patches, this is FUN :D

Is that Hue city, as featured in Full Metal Jacket? Not seen that level yet.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Class level. Moped action.

"you can't win this war GI"

Clown

Part of the furniture
Sorry for being lazy but my work connection is really slow at lunchtime and it would take my whole hour to look through these Vietnam threads.

I have this ready and waiting for me to install at home... picked it up brand new for a whopping 5 quid. Are there any patches/fixes that I might need to download?

Win2K, nVidia GF4 Ti4200.

Thanks.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Personally, I think its a fantastic game. Yes there are a couple of 'lag bugs', yes the M60 could be toned down a bit (not the power, but the accuracy of it when you're stood up / running), but overall I do think its a much much better game that BF42.

I run it at medium (with textures / geomatry on high), no AA, no AF, sound on max, and it runs like a charm (using a 9700).

It does have issues with 9800 Pros if you have AA or AF turned on. It also has issues with nVidia cards if you're not using the latest drivers (the ones from the nVidia website, not the ones off the BF:V CD).

What we need to do is arrange a time for all of us to meet and go on a server.

I can normally be found on the Jolt servers playing under the name [MPG] Cdr.

(Just incase you've forgotten the jolt IPs - Jolt.co.uk 04 - BF:Vietnam|27ms|195.149.21.61:14564
Jolt.co.uk 05 - BF:Vietnam|35ms|213.208.119.142:15565
Jolt.co.uk 06 - BF:Vietnam|56ms|213.208.119.142:15566
Jolt.co.uk 07 - BF:Vietnam|32ms|213.208.119.134:14567
Jolt.co.uk 08 - BF:Vietnam|40ms|213.208.119.134:14568
Jolt.co.uk 09 - BF:Vietnam|32ms|213.208.119.134:14569 ;) )

Or pop into #battlefield.jolt and give me a prod :D

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
"Your pilots do not care that you are down here, GI - they will napalm you tonight."

So true.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
What that should read is...

"GI, your team mates do not care that you got the chopper first, they will still shoot you in the back so they can fly it"

granny

Fledgling Freddie
or

"GI your helicopters fall out of the sky like broken birds because your teammates can't fly them"

"GI jump out of helicopter now, it is good idea to leave sinking ship"

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Just installed it and I am very impressed I gotta say :)

Right back to the sandels, see you at Xmas :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
Clown said:
Sorry for being lazy but my work connection is really slow at lunchtime and it would take my whole hour to look through these Vietnam threads.

I have this ready and waiting for me to install at home... picked it up brand new for a whopping 5 quid. Are there any patches/fixes that I might need to download?

Thanks.

I've got a Ti4400 but other than making sure you've got the latest drivers for your gfx card, you won't need to worry about a thing mate.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Clown said:

Thanks.

Sorry Clown, didnt see this un earlier - my bad.

Like mank says, as long as you have the latest drivers from the nVidia site, you shouldnt have a problem.

There's a few 'tweaks' you can do to get it running better, but as yet, there are no patches you need to download.

Hope this helps.

Cdr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom