Final Fantasy XIII

pikeh

Resident Freddy
nah no change, same in those respects.

12 was awesome, I don't know why so many people say it sucked :p i've almost got every final fantasy game ever released across all formats and I can honestly say 12 was amazing... it gave you alot more freedom previous games didn't, turn based combat from previous games was fun to an extent but it gets old when used repeatedly and i'm sure thats what square is trying to avoid :p its just a shame people can't realise that.

All I see from people now is "Ah its alright, but its no final fantasy vii" its the story that made 7 great not the combat system and as for all final fantasy games the stories are amazing, no game even comes close story wise.

I didnt say FF12 sucked, I said what did suck about it :)
I quite enjoyed it and was a nice progression from the series. I just happen to feel that those bits were missing from it, the fact that Vaans ultimate dream was to become a sky pirate, I would have thought there being a flyable vehicle in there somewhere (and not the shitty airships).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye I get ya but that said if they kept giving flying vehicles it'd come to the point where people would go "ahh another ff game another typical world map vehicle setup" which would be a shame, change is good :) square know how to make changes work well which we should be thankful for :p it could be worse they could be activision or something that is starting to make shit/lazy made games.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am getting pretty fed up with Hope, whiny little dick. I hope I can drop him from the group soon, speaking of which, this swapping about all the time is getting on my nerves too, I want to build a party and stick with it for a while.

Overall its good, I am up to the part where Hope and Snow join together, really getting the hang of the combat too which I hated at first, I still don't think its is as good as the traditional turn based system but its certainly something new which the series probably needed.

I disagree with the map system too, part of the charm of Final Fantasy is exploration, the different towns with random people to talk to, rare items etc. At the moment it just feels like a tech demo at times, the look and feel of the road is pointless, you are still walking down a straight path with the odd off-shoot to grab a item sphere. It feels like they could just as well cut out the walking down a path and just skip to the next cut scene, which are great and are telling a decent enough story.

Will have to get further into the game and see how I feel, enjoying it at the moment but not loving it.

I never finished 12, I don't really remember a lot about it at all really, thought it got pretty boring so gave it to my brother in law. 10 was a hell of a lot better. 8 being the best imo (which I am playing again on my PSP)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
You can fully customize your party later yes, so don't worry about that :p as for the lack of world map it doesnt damage the game in anyway, theres still plenty of "Hidden Treasure" and hidden shops etc.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I am getting pretty fed up with Hope, whiny little dick. I hope I can drop him from the group soon, speaking of which, this swapping about all the time is getting on my nerves too, I want to build a party and stick with it for a while.

I think it's chapter 9 when you can choose your own people.

I disagree with the map system too, part of the charm of Final Fantasy is exploration, the different towns with random people to talk to, rare items etc. At the moment it just feels like a tech demo at times, the look and feel of the road is pointless, you are still walking down a straight path with the odd off-shoot to grab a item sphere. It feels like they could just as well cut out the walking down a path and just skip to the next cut scene, which are great and are telling a decent enough story.

This is exactly the same as most other FF games except the pointless world map in between areas, no?

I never finished 12, I don't really remember a lot about it at all really, thought it got pretty boring so gave it to my brother in law. 10 was a hell of a lot better. 8 being the best imo (which I am playing again on my PSP)

Ah, you're a FF8 fan. There's no saving you! :D But it's interesting that you like 10. How is that any different from 13 in terms of linear maps/exploration?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Did FF start at 1, or was it 7? Surely it was 7?

But why 7 and not 1?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
This is exactly the same as most other FF games except the pointless world map in between areas, no?
Not really no, the world map was a full part of the game with different mobs on area, rare mobs dotted about, secret areas, areas that you needed certain Chocobos to enter (in FF7, nights of the round materia for example) How do you go back to older zones in 13? Is there a fast travel mode later on? It all feels a little like hand holding in really. Its not a bad game by any standards, it just doesn't really feel like a final fantasy game it feels more like the Last remnant 2 tbh

Ah, you're a FF8 fan. There's no saving you! :D But it's interesting that you like 10. How is that any different from 13 in terms of linear maps/exploration?
You got the airship later on in 10 you could use it to go back to earlier zones, there was also the secret areas that opened up later on, some that you had find too, traveling back to find the dark endilons (or whatever they are called) for me you havent finished final fantasy until you have beaten the special bosses, Diamond/Ruby weapons in FF7 etc.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Chapter 6 boss is ******* hard. Sazh is SHIT. (ONLY character that has died for me)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Not really no, the world map was a full part of the game with different mobs on area, rare mobs dotted about, secret areas, areas that you needed certain Chocobos to enter (in FF7, nights of the round materia for example) How do you go back to older zones in 13? Is there a fast travel mode later on? It all feels a little like hand holding in really. Its not a bad game by any standards, it just doesn't really feel like a final fantasy game it feels more like the Last remnant 2 tbh

I always hated the world map. And I think a world map would look ridiculous in HD. But I can understand why you'd miss it.

Thing is, I think having a shop at every save point is GREAT, but I still miss towns specifically, mainly because of the effect they have on pacing. It's quite nice to have a rest after a long action section, but 13 is just relentless. It actually drains me to play it because you're constantly fighting and concentrating. This is both good and bad for me :D

You got the airship later on in 10 you could use it to go back to earlier zones, there was also the secret areas that opened up later on, some that you had find too, traveling back to find the dark endilons (or whatever they are called) for me you havent finished final fantasy until you have beaten the special bosses, Diamond/Ruby weapons in FF7 etc.

Well don't dismiss 13 yet, it does open up at some point. I'm not there yet, but I'm really close. Most people love that part of the game from what I've read, maybe I can give my own impressions later tonight...

Afran

Part of the furniture
Final Fantasy was around years before FF7.

Just got XIII myself today, will start it this evening!

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Did FF start at 1, or was it 7? Surely it was 7?

But why 7 and not 1?

Started at 1 but it didn't really appear for most people until 7 as it wasn't really advertised that well really, no one had the net back then hardly and those that did werent really looking for such things :p 6 and 7 are easily the best 2 so far followed by XIII - after finishing it (I still have missions to do) its good, the story takes awhile to unfold but once its all out in the open it just gets better and better :) I honestly cannot fault XIII and i'm looking forwards to Final Fantasy XIII: Versus on the PS3 and Final Fantasy XIII: Agito on the PSP.

Spoiler - do not click if you don't want spoils.
The best party members are Fang, Lightning and Vanille without a doubt, later on Vanille will prove very useful with her Death Spell + Belladonna Wand and Fangs melee damage is off the chart, Lightning is a good all rounder - would highly advise this setup, i've tried other setups using all characters and these 3 seem the best overall :) bosses with 5,000,000+ hp later, you need fast staggers (Lightnings Lionheart/ultima weapon allows her to stagger enemies alot faster as a ravager) Vanilles Belladonna Wand is her best weapon and Fangs is whatever has the highest Melee output when upgraded - I always have Fang setup as the Commando, and Lightning as Ravager along with Vanille, Vanille and Light can both heal when needed etc.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Cool. Getting into it now. As you all said it just gets better and better!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Laughed my arse off last night. Was playing it while my wife was doing some college work. I see that she is looking at what I am doing. After a a few seconds she says with a puzzled look on her face. Erm, are you fighting a motorbike?
Me, yes.
Her, ooooh K.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I managed to get to the point where the game opens up. Spoilers about when and what to expect (no story spoilers or anything):

In chapter 11 you go to a huge, open zone. Around it you pick up missions. They're all "hunts", like you had in FF12, where your goal is just to go kill a certain monster. Of course, they get harder and harder, you'll need to level up roles a lot to fight the tougher ones.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I managed to get to the point where the game opens up. Spoilers about when and what to expect (no story spoilers or anything):

In chapter 11 you go to a huge, open zone. Around it you pick up missions. They're all "hunts", like you had in FF12, where your goal is just to go kill a certain monster. Of course, they get harder and harder, you'll need to level up roles a lot to fight the tougher ones.

Some of the hunts are pretty hard aswell :> the A rank ones atleast

*SPOILER*
My characters all have 20-30k hp now, Genji Gloves on my Commando aswell which lets her hit for more than 99,999 - she can hit for upto 999,999 now :>
*SPOILER*

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Any tips on how to beat barthandelus?
Kinda cruising through the game though been stuck on him for some time now seems my whole party just dies when he does that big AoE move.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just did this
Killed the shoulders then the buffing things, then worked on him. Commando, Ravager, Medic though the stagger gauge kept resetting for no apparent reason so it took an age.

Had an annoying bug where the same music played throughout the zone/cut scenes/fights, not exactly game breaking but spoilt the feeling a little.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Argh! I'm getting so bored of this game, chapter 11 is so far away :(

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Any tips on how to beat barthandelus?
Kinda cruising through the game though been stuck on him for some time now seems my whole party just dies when he does that big AoE move.

When he is charging Destrudo (the aoe move), switch to an heavy attacking paradigm like COM/RAV/RAV and KEEP ATTACKING! After probably 3 rounds of attacks, he'll 'stagger' (not in the chain/stagger bar sense), and his Destrudo will only do half as much damage as it normally does. Also, you'll have built up a nice chunk of the chain bar which should allow you to actually stagger him before the next Destrudo (and you'll need to stagger him regularly do to enough damage).

Using Fortisol and the other buffing shroud before the fight should help speed things up for the first stage and some of the second stage.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Just got to chapter 11, really enjoying it now.

Question though, how on earth do you make gil to buy upgrade stuff? Not got any from encounters, just from stuff I have sold...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Just got to chapter 11, really enjoying it now.

Question though, how on earth do you make gil to buy upgrade stuff? Not got any from encounters, just from stuff I have sold...

yep, gil is quite scarce in FFXIII, best bet is farming the huge turtle things when you can (the baby ones drop gold dust that sells for 15,000 and the large ones can drop Platinum Ingots that sell for 150,000.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Am part way through chapter 10 atm, not had that much time to play it at all. Story has really opened up.. Real shame that some non-boss enemies are harder than boss ones -_-

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Twelve hours into the game and I've just started chapter seven. I don't think anyone can argue that you don't get a lot of game for your money but, by Christ, its so bloody dull. The cutscene acting/plot/characters are tedious and the fights are repetitive. It is also still on rails.

So very bored :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom