Question Film of The Year 2015

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So, it's that time of the year again. What's your Film of The Year and why? My list of the films I can remember:

Amy

Disintegration of a not very nice person, her worse boyfriend and even worse dad. But well made. 7/10

Ant-Man

Low-key by Marvel standards, but I enjoyed it, funny and the action sequences were excellent. Crap villain though, but that’s unfortunately true for a lot of Marvel films. 7/`10

Avengers Age of Ultron

Overblown. It had great moments (Hulk v. Hulkbuster) and for once in a Marvel movie the villain had all the best lines, but there was something a bit…off…about it, and I still can’t put my finger on it. 6.5/10

Chappie

Question: is Neill Blomkamp a one-hit-wonder? Beginning to look that way. 5/10

Ex Machina

Totally out of left field, I had no expectations of this and I really enjoyed it. 8/10

Fast & The Furious 7

Guilty Pleasure. I mean come on, jumping a $5M supercar from one arab tower block to another arab tower block, and then out the other side? Fuck it, I’m in (even it is CGI). The Paul Walker situation was handled sensitively, if a bit maudlin. 6/10

Good Dinosaur

Although this is a Pixar movie, in sentiment its entirely old school Disney; basically a “journey home” movie like so many Disney films, with full complement of dead parents to help with the Hero’s Journey. I was bored. 4/10.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2

I loved the first HTTM. This is was terrible. I assume the lack of John Kusack was a factor. That and the fact they got a chimp with a railway spike through its brain to write it. 2/10

Inside Out

I actually saw a lot of kid’s movies this year (as you can imagine) but much as enjoyed the Minions movie I’m only going to cover a couple of cartoons, both Pixar. Inside Out is very good. You could watch it without a kid in tow and still get something from it 7/10

Jupiter Ascending

I kind of knew it wasn’t going to be very good, but I still kind of liked it. The plot was shite and Eddie Redmayne managed to chew even more scenery than Domnhall Gleeson in The Force Awakens (which is saying something), but I still didn’t hate it. 6/10

Jurassic World

On one level, it was fine, Jurassic Park turned up to 11. On another, it suffered from the same problem as Terminator Genisys and (to a certain extent) Star Wars; a remix rather than an original film. It wasn’t a terrible movie, but it was a completely pointless one. 5/10

Kingsmen

I had extremely low expectations of this; I think Mark Millar is a hack (he has maybe two good things in his CV) and having read the comic I thought this would be shit. I was dead wrong; great cast, funny as fuck, great pacing and possibly the scene of the year in the church. 8.5/10

The Lobster

My attempt at art-house this year. It was actually supposed to be funny, didn’t work for me at all. 5/10

Mad Max Fury Road

Yes its not “a Mad Max movie”, don’t care. Where there have been three other classic franchises relaunched with various degrees of remix/success this year, this is the only one made by the original director, and I think it’s a labour of love. I thought it was superb. 9/10

The Man From UNCLE

Another surprisingly good spy movie. Loved the sixties setting, (spies just work better in the sixties), funny, characters had chemistry. Slightly weak ending. 7/10

The Martian

Ridley Scott is increasingly becoming unhinged. Read some of his jibber-jabber about the next Alien films, look at some the garbage he’s made in the last few years, and you wouldn’t expect The Martian to work, but boy it does. His best film since Gladiator, and Matt Damon’s best since Bourne. Can’t do better than that 10/10, my film of the year.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

There were actually quite a few good spy movies this year, and MI was infinitely better at doing Bond than Spectre managed. Great set pieces, the motorbike chase was fantastic, a properly creepy villain (Sean Harris is usually pretty good) and Rebecca Ferguson…Mmm. 8/10

Ex Machina

Totally out of left field, I had no expectations of this and I really enjoyed it. 8/10

Sicario

Only just watched this. Rather good. Decent cast (didn’t think Emily Blunt would suit at all but she’s great). 7.5/10

Spectre

Hugely disappointing. Unimaginative plot, boring(!) set pieces, and a Bond who was going through the motions. Unlike a lot of people I didn’t rate Skyfall either, but this was much worse. 4/10

Space Conflict: The Thrust Revives

Little known art-house movie set in Galaxy Far Far Away. Decent attempt to wipe the bad taste of the prequels and leave audiences wanting more (except @Trem). Job done, but I’m not sure people will be calling it any kind of classic in the long run 6.5/10

Steve Jobs

Great writing, but I still don’t care about Steve Jobs. 5/10

Terminator: Genisys

A bit like the Star Trek reboot, an exercise in pissing on a cherished classic. It also made zero sense (or, even less sense than usual), was hammy as fuck, and…ugh, just left a bad taste. 2/10

Tomorrowland

Terribly disappointing. There’s actually a good idea in here – somewhere – but the whole thing sort of fell apart, and the ending in particular was just lame. 4.5/10

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'd agree with your choice of The Martian but I confess I have seen only a fraction of the films in that list.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I loved Ex Machina, didn't see the end coming, one of my favourites of the year. I quite liked Tomorrowland though, I just don't think its what people expected. Terminator I liked too, very popcorn but could've been a lot worse

The man from Uncle didn't light the box office but again I enjoyed its 'tongue-in-cheekness'. I am a sucker for 'kids' animation and thought inside-out was great, but I thought Minions could've been better

Not seen The Martian yet, 'got it' on Saturday, not had time to watch, but I thought Kingsman was going to be poo based on the trailers but it was very good, especially SLJ 'you people talk funny'

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm gonna go with The Martian.

PS: When you say mad max fury road wasn't a mad max film...? wut.

Fury road has a very similar vibe to 2/3, where max is part of the story, but the main events happen to other people, and max continues his path afterwards.

Max had 16 lines of dialogue in mad max 2, and one them was repeated.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
American Ultra: was entertaining as well. much better than I expected.
Ive not seen the Martian so woll have to go with The man from Uncle

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Got to be The Martian for me as well I think.

Although I'd also give special commendation to Kung Fury, just for being so damn awesome :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Beasts of no nation, easily.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Beasts of no nation, easily.
I have that but haven't watched.

Martian was great so was Ant Man.

Can I ask you all to watch Bone Tomahawk and let me know what you think about that? That one stuck in my head, brutal.

Edmond

Hey @Trem have you seen the new Star Wars film yet, what did you think about it?

*runs very far away.........*

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Martian, just finished watching it. Absolutely amazing film, loved every aspect of it and I really felt sorry for Mark. Also the music was top notch for the film, made me feel so many emotions. 10/10 film of the year for me too.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I have that but haven't watched.

Martian was great so was Ant Man.

Can I ask you all to watch Bone Tomahawk and let me know what you think about that? That one stuck in my head, brutal.

Bone Tomahawk is on my to watch list, heard some very good things about the folm

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I thought it was a bit poor realy.

Weak story with a bit of gore that would have perhaps raised an eyebrow 10 years ago.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Martian I thought was a great film and deserves the win.

The biggest let down of the year was The Hunger Games for me. Short book split very poorly into two shit films, that takes some doing.

Ex Machina was another good film but I think a lot of that is down to the ending I found to to be hard work until that point. I liked Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending and Southpaw.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Watched The Martian last night. I liked it but it wasn't *great* for two reasons: It was very a jolly film considering the appaling things that were happening and it was very science light. Felt like a bit of a missed opportunity on those fronts, but then Ridley Scott was in advertising and is in the business of mass appeal :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I have to go with @Wij - mad minge probably takes it for me, but then I was drunk when I watched it and a second viewing might change my opinion :)

Trem

Yeah, I have to go with @Wij - mad minge probably takes it for me, but then I was drunk when I watched it and a second viewing might change my opinion :)
Watch it again to look at Lenny Kravitz/Lisa Bonet's daughters nipples.

Yes, Southpaw was good because of the acting but it really was just another boxing movie.

Edmond

Just finished The Martian, yes really good, I've always liked Matt Damon so this was good to watch. Really liked it

Tom

I am a FH squatter
For me, Star Wars. It's been a long time since a film has engaged me so much. I liked Mad Max, that comes second. Third I think is The Martian, because it made me laugh a lot and also because the last bit was pretty edge-of-the-seat.

Trem

Where'd ya see that? It's not out here yet.
Job filmed it on his phone and showed it us.

(Loads of screeners floating around, obviously hijacked on their way to the Oscars)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Like this one, traced back to (the office of) the co-CEO of a production finance company.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Kingsman and Antman were my favorites but loved inside out

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Saw The Martian tonight, was OK, nothing amazing, one or two bits annoyed me at the end, especially as it had been fairly reasonable with the Hollywood moments up until that point..

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Saw Inside Out yesterday. Best thing Pixar have done in a few years. Nearly as good as Up and TS3 but not quite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom