Fibre to the Premises (FTTP)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Amazing price that, I see they use their our network much like Jurassic Fibre around here which offers 950/200 for £40.

I wouldn't count on a flood of offers from providers who use Openreach even with a cheaper provider using their own network in an area. As an example here BT do 900/110 for £27.99 for 3 months followed £55.99 a month for 21 months and £29.99 upfront. Another on Openreach is Talktalk and for Fibre 900 they want £49 a month.
I am happy with that deal to be honest. I already have 2 BT lines coming to the house, my own and an old work line, just need to figure out which one they can ripout and use the hole down the side of the door frame to get into the house as I do not want any more holes drilled in case they cause damage to the frame.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I am happy with that deal to be honest. I already have 2 BT lines coming to the house, my own and an old work line, just need to figure out which one they can ripout and use the hole down the side of the door frame to get into the house as I do not want any more holes drilled in case they cause damage to the frame.

Yeah that is the only issue with non Openreach providers, means another hole but Jurassic don't charge providing it is a standard install.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah that is the only issue with non Openreach providers, means another hole but Jurassic don't charge providing it is a standard install.
So my new provider maybe able to remove the old copper cable back to the pole and reuse that for the fibre as they are licensed by OpenReach to use their infrastructure? Or do I need to contact OpenReach and get them to come remove it?

Embattle

FH is my second home
So my new provider maybe able to remove the old copper cable back to the pole and reuse that for the fibre as they are licensed by OpenReach to use their infrastructure? Or do I need to contact OpenReach and get them to come remove it?

I wouldn't of thought they would touch the Openreach stuff themselves, at least not the removal of physical assets such as cables & sockets etc. If they didn't then I would consider leaving it in case you don't have a good experience with the new provider.

Jurassic Fibre states the following regarding their installation:

Installation

The team will install the network into your property by drilling a small hole through the wall. This will then be covered by a wall box. We will always do this as discreetly and practically as possible

In essence the BT Fibre stuff would be left alone which makes sense in two ways, like I said earlier it isn't theirs and it means I could change back in the future.

Also this is a bit about costs:

What does “installation costs” mean?
For residential contracts, the installation cost is free for straightforward installations. However, in some instances there may be non-standard installations required. Non-standard installations are sometimes outside the scope of our free installation service, and there may be a fee involved if the length of the access route of surfaces requires special techniques to dig and reinstate. If your premise is classed as requiring a non-standard installation, our installation engineer will prepare a written estimate of the installation cost

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think you can talk to Openreach. They have nearly no public-facing infrastructure and what they do have is designed to get you nowhere.

My house was mis-classified in their address database as unsuitable for fibre. Despite me flagging down their guys in the road and pointing to the telegraph pole with the fibre on it outside my house (who agreed and said there was no reason for not having fibre). I had to talk to Openreach directly as the ISPs are locked out of the Openreach databases. It took them ages to correct it. And then four no show appointments on the installation before it was installed. BT was the ISP and ended-up owing me 400 quid as Openreach were no useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom