fellow fatties...i require your advice

mank!

Part of the furniture
or any other gym/health nuts out there.

i play football twice a week and have done for a couple of months now and noticed my fitness improving constantly. i went the next step and signed upto a gym this week and went for the first time today. i had the quick tour/induction but was more or less left to my own devices, utterly bewildered i spent about twenty minutes on the cross trainer thingy, ten minutes on the treadmill and decided that i was starting to look very out of place so went on my merry way.

basically, does anyone have any tips or guidance for what i should be doing? i mainly want to get fit enough to play sunday league football, weight loss will - presumably - be an added bonus but i'm not that concerned.

cheers!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You won't lose weight in a gym. You'll gain it. In a good way though.

I used to weight lift many yarns back, I just did back+biceps on a monday, chest+shoulders wednesday, and triceps/stomach on a friday (never did legs as cycling took care of that). I never bothered with the treadmills/bikes, as they were extremely boring.

Tbh I'd buy a bike and go cycling. Use Google Earth to find some good routes in your area, and off you go. Much more entertaining, and far cheaper than a gym.

Clown

Part of the furniture
You won't lose weight in a gym. You'll gain it. In a good way though.
:rolleyes: Obviously it depends on what you do.

P.S. PruHealth - Why Pay For The Gym? - Free gym (or free health insurance, however you want to look at it!) depending on how often you go. They only have three gyms and one is reduced membership rather than free.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Cycling for years kept all my weight off - stayed very skinny up until I got a car.
Now I'm heading towards 20 stone with no abandon and I'm shopping for a bike ;)

I agree about the gyms - plenty of better ways to spend your money and keep fit, and I can only agree with Tom's sentiments regarding cycling - damned good for you and find a couple of really nice routes and you'll be set.
I've luckily got both Rutland and Grafham water's nearby (I've cycled to and then round both plenty of times - now I'd get out of puff taking the bike out the back of the car) and offer a great workout with a motivation to keep going - it looks nice :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
well considering i've just joined a gym, the advice of buying a bike is a bit belated.

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
well considering i've just joined a gym, the advice of buying a bike is a bit belated.

If you're simply after 'fitness' I'd imagine predominatly cardio vascular stuff would be best. I'm assuming the gym has a swimming pool too?

Anyway, I haven't been to a gym for 8 years, and that was only once, so I really don't have much to imput apart from, the above ...

Oh yeah, of course now you're a member of gym, don't forget to buy a bike or smmt.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Aye, cardio work is the best bet in the gym for losing weight. The cross-trainer and treadmill are both fine. If they have bike machines (Don't need a proper road bike :p) and rowing machines there, use those as they're also good for cardio.

Remember to steadily increase the difficulty of all the above over a set period of time (Say one kilometre per hour + another minute increase a week). It may also be worth investing in a personal trainer. If you do, you're almost guaranteed to lose weight and buff up in no time.

You won't put on weight if you stick to those. Weights machines on the other hand...

There's also good use in mats if your gym has them. Press ups and sit ups are good light exercises for warm ups and warm downs, as is a light jog at the end of a work out.

Hope that helps!

edit:// If you find yourself being bored on the treadmill etc, just take an mp3 player with you. Kills the time on all the cardio machines.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
On a somewhat related note, because I don't give a flying fuck about 'buffing up' but do want to get healthier in general, I've recently (i.e. today) taken up swimming again. Kind of. As I used to be a pretty good swimmer, I'm attending a weekly 'stroke development' swimming class, aimed at developing efficiency and so on, the first of which was earlier this evening. However, I haven't actually swum properly for about 10 years.

In any case, about 30 minutes in I notice my toes beginning to cramp, and then not long later, half way through a length, both my calves cramp simultaneously and I'm left floundering around in pain trying to get to the shallow end - though luckily the pool wasn't deep anyhow. That was about an hour and a half ago and I'm still hurting. Luckily I managed to get a lift home from two sympathetic young ladies.

So yeah, as tempting as injuring myself in some vaguely crippling way every week is, does anyone have any idea as to why this happened and how I prevent it from happening in future?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
On a somewhat related note, because I don't give a flying fuck about 'buffing up' but do want to get healthier in general, I've recently (i.e. today) taken up swimming again. Kind of. As I used to be a pretty good swimmer, I'm attending a weekly 'stroke development' swimming class, aimed at developing efficiency and so on, the first of which was earlier this evening. However, I haven't actually swum properly for about 10 years.

In any case, about 30 minutes in I notice my toes beginning to cramp, and then not long later, half way through a length, both my calves cramp simultaneously and I'm left floundering around in pain trying to get to the shallow end - though luckily the pool wasn't deep anyhow. That was about an hour and a half ago and I'm still hurting. Luckily I managed to get a lift home from two sympathetic young ladies.

So yeah, as tempting as injuring myself in some vaguely crippling way every week is, does anyone have any idea as to why this happened and how I prevent it from happening in future?

Loads of reasons, ranging from not warming up properly to being a bit anemic, with a whole bunch of other stuff in between. If it persists, see the quack. I get it too, but strangely only when I'm swimming in the sea, but I also get shin splints too, which may be the reason in my case (membrane around the calf muscle is too tight - muscle heats, expands and the membrane doesn't expand as quickly).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I used to be. What did you want to know Mr Schwarzenegger?

I was working out when you were still in Nursery school sunshine, and you probably weighed more than me even then.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
the cramping will be a build up from lactic acid in the muscles, which will be from not drinking enough water before/during the session and not warming up...and also using muscles you wouldnt normally use. depending on how quickly you made it go away, you could be hurting for a while yet....

scoop

Can't get enough of FH
FH Subscriber
Hey Mank,

Although it’s really poofy looking :p i recommend that you buy Mens Health magazine... Full of lots of interesting stuff to do with weight loss / muscle gain (depending what you want..)

For the first week you should have a play around in there and see what you like doing.. Make sure you take music with you too as it will keep your mind busy!

One thing I would say too is to set a plan of what you’re going to do in the gym exercise wise a week in advance..You have to make sure though that your realistic in setting what you will be doing though.

Like others have said, increase what you do a little each week when you feel that what you’re currently doing is getting easy.. You have to push yourself but not stupidly! :)

Ultimately remember that exercise is for life and if you’re like me, you have to keep on doing it once you have lost the weight.

If you play footie twice a week then perhaps 2/3 days in the gym would be good for you..

Simple diet changes like No carbs in the evening (just meat + veg) will help you lose weight quicker too.

I sit on my ass all day in an IT Support Desk so i dont really get to move alot..Hence the need for me to exercise!

Lastly, if you find that the gym isn’t working for you (i.e. it’s a pain in the ass) you shouldn’t give up. Look for some other actives (cycling etc) that interest you.

Exercise shouldn’t be a hassle, more of a pleasure! But you have to find something you like..

Hope that waffle helps a bit :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Simple diet changes like No carbs in the evening (just meat + veg) will help you lose weight quicker too.

Don't go down that long and slippy road m8.

Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Always. You don't "work" like a proper human being unless you do. I lost 5 stone in 4 months simply by eating a little less of my healthy diet and (gasp!) jogging every evening.

I won't advise you on exercise (as I do both fuck and all at the moment - the jogging was WAY to dull) and I always hated gyms. Too boring by far. Gonna buy a bike and cycle to work (which is 10+ miles each way so it'll definately do the trick). Otherwise I find only competetive sport can keep my attention...

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
the cramping will be a build up from lactic acid in the muscles, which will be from not drinking enough water before/during the session and not warming up...and also using muscles you wouldnt normally use. depending on how quickly you made it go away, you could be hurting for a while yet....

Hmm. I had drunk quite a lot of water that day, and had somewhat power-walked to the thing, but I don't know if this 'counts'. I was in a rush to get to it on time and was sweating profusely when I got there, so could I have over-strained my leg muscles or something? How should I best warm up beforehand?

scoop

Can't get enough of FH
FH Subscriber
Originally Posted by scoop

Don't go down that long and slippy road m8.

Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Always. You don't "work" like a proper human being unless you do. I lost 5 stone in 4 months simply by eating a little less of my healthy diet and (gasp!) jogging every evening.

Should have worded what i said differently..:) IF your the type of person that isnt that active in the evening, then eating carbs will be pointless as your not gonna be burning them up energry wise.. (nothing un healthy about eating roast chicken and veg and cutting out the potatoes etc..?)

Depends when your going to be excercising i guess!

Nice one on the weight loss though Scouse.. Some people say that the faster you lose it, the quicker you can put it back on.. but its all down to the individual person isn't it?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
there is that. warm up well, 15 mins minimum. remember, a warm-up is to make your muscles warm, not tire you out. Stretch after the warm-up. Remember to build up your stretches slowly. Go to a gym, and get one of the instructors to demonstrate stretch technique, it's worth it.

And Mank, imo it's very bad form of the instructors to drop you in the deep end and leave you on one of your first visits. imo you should ask them for some 1:1 lessons where they explain to you exactly what you should be doing,when and how you work the machines. imo you should ask them for some kind of training regime that you can hold to.

them leaving you alone when you don't know exactly what you're doing doesn't scream quality tbh. some of the exercises you can do in a gym, or working some of the weight machines can be done wrong. remember, you're paying the gym to help you, and you should get the service promised.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
A year and a half ago I was a 14st Fatty, I'm now a 12st 2lbs toned up dude, now starting to bulk up. got the six pack (first time ever!) and I consider that all normal now, set yourself an aim and go for it, my new aim is to put on a lb of muscle a week and bulk up a bit more and start playing rugby again!

Get your PT to set out a plan, for the first year maybe you can't think about gaining muscle and losing fat, just DOESN'T happen. Its one or the other. Oh and diet is Crucial. Try Cereal/porridge in the morning. a small brunch cereal bar, small lunch, small after lunch snack, and then supper. followed by tea + biscuit in the evening. Should stimulate your metabolism. I beleive that the whole grazing theory works. For fat loss you need an energy deficit, so after your work out you really have to fight the urge to pig out and stick to your diet plan.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Nice one on the weight loss though Scouse.. Some people say that the faster you lose it, the quicker you can put it back on.. but its all down to the individual person isn't it?

yeah true that. Nice one Scouse! as to the weight regain, that is indeed up to you. myself, I am also losing weight atm, being a sloth-like IT person who sits all day but does do sports (but not regularly). I've managed 12kg so far, and I'm looking for another 12 in the future. my criteria were: lose weight as slowly as possible, not lose muscle mass, and diet without being on a diet (if you follow me). I've been doing it for about 7 months now and it's working fine: what I basically do is easy: I stopped buying work lunches. I make sandwiches at home and take them with me, and consume them during the working day. dinners as they always were. In the beginning I was hungry, but now I feel fine :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief

its called delayed onset of muscle soreness and is a funny thing, could get it straight away, a day later or even not at all.

and weight loss is simple and easy, consume less calories than you need is all there is to it. 2 years ago i weighed 20st, now i weigh 12.8 and started getting serious at weight lifting 9 weeks ago.
you should also make sure your diet is suitable to what ever it is your looking to do and is geared around making sure you dont lose muscle, only fat.

i wouldnt buy any magazine or rely on any media for help, go here

MuscleTalk Bodybuilding Forum

the place is run by registered nutrition consultants and very experienced trainers. you can get help there on anything to do with any type of exercise and lifestyle.

and furr, your incorect about losing muscle and gaining fat. someone completley new could expect, in the first 3 months, to lose about 10lb fat and gain around 5lb muscle. ive been doing exactly that using a diet i paid for off a bodybuilder and dietitian. in the last 2 months ive lost 1st of fat and gone down 2" off my waist.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Just a small note on machines in the gym, I used to set a goal of say 1k on a rowing machine in a set period of time. This became routine and boring.

So i changed it to 1k varied effort (200m slowly, then 200m fast as i could 200m slowly to catch breath, 200m fast as poss and so on). I found it took less time than before, 'felt' more rewarding and kept me entertained.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
and furr, your incorect about losing muscle and gaining fat. someone completley new could expect, in the first 3 months, to lose about 10lb fat and gain around 5lb muscle. ive been doing exactly that using a diet i paid for off a bodybuilder and dietitian. in the last 2 months ive lost 1st of fat and gone down 2" off my waist.

Someone completely new can loose a lot of weight initially as there is a lot of semi liquid build ups and other fluids that accumulate from lack of exercise, being semi liquid means that this weight is easily broken down. But gaining muscle and loosing fat at the same time are conflicting goals. The illusion of the two can be brought upon by differing work plans that will do something during one phase and another thing another phase. But this is inefficient.

I also thought it was possible and had some other silly notions on what can and can't be done. Now I trust my information and we can agree to disagree but the reason I believe my information is correct is because of the source, When I started to see results I got in touch with friends from my time at Loughborough Uni, bearing in mind these are mix of Sport Science graduates and Pro Athletes their knowledge is second to none and fully up to date being the leading Sports Uni in the country, it's reason I got them to help me, From this I was told I was doing well but not nearly as well as I could do and were able to give me plans and advice on the best way to capitalise on gains and losses, dispel myths, change plans and bust through plateaus, and tell me not to listen to the Gym PT's knowledge as the final word, Not trying to trumpet your body-builder and dietitian at all, but they are selling their products to make a profit and will use marketing ploys to increase the attractiveness of their products,

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Just a small note on machines in the gym, I used to set a goal of say 1k on a rowing machine in a set period of time. This became routine and boring.

So i changed it to 1k varied effort (200m slowly, then 200m fast as i could 200m slowly to catch breath, 200m fast as poss and so on). I found it took less time than before, 'felt' more rewarding and kept me entertained.

I agree with this, I'm not exactly an expert on fitness, however I just got back from doing the Parachute Regiment insight course and one of the things both the instructors and the fitter civi's who went along kept saying over and over again was: interval training, interval training, interval training.

It seems like if you do anything with this sort of routine - jogging, cycling, rowing machines, etc - and do relatively short periods of 80-90% effort followed by a 'rest' period of less strenous effort, then cycle these periods of an hour or however long, slowly bringing the 'rest periods' down in duration and the '90% effort' periods up, you'll see quite suprising gains in a relatively short period of training.

Its definately helped with my jogging, I'll be starting the gym as well tomorow :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
youre completley wrong about the dietitian, you cant really say that untill you know the team. they dont actively try and sell anything, their only advertisement is the layout of the plans on a single page of a website. they also actively help people for free, with anything they need help with. and i will also add, he never told me that untill i was a couple weeks into training. he was also recommended by someone, who them selves study sports science and has been lifting weights for over a year.

i would also add this. ive lost 1st of fat in 2 months, as i said. when i started training i could only deadlift 70kg for 8 reps, for 3 sets. i can now do the same with 105kg. there is no way you can tell me i can deadlift a further 35 kilos purely from my central nervous system adapting. equally i used to squat 27.5 kilos, for 8 reps and 3 sets. now im upto 85kilos, probably 90 this week. again, are you suggesting my strength gain is purely down to my central nervous system adapting?

you can do both at once, its not efficient though, muscle will build slowly and fat will burn slowly. the reason it can work is by targetting carbohydrates before and after workouts, and the fact im new to training. everyone gets newbie gains in the first 3 months as the body can adapt quickly and buildup. take advantage of this by going into a slight calorie deficit and lose fat.

mank!

Part of the furniture
thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. at the moment i've got a bit of an ankle problem so will have to use the lower impact machines in the meanwhile anyway, but will definitely give everything at the gym a try...except the climbing wall

i'm not that worried about losing weight. i'm not bothered about being fat, just the health implications and the impact it has on my fitness for football. i've become accustomed to my build and don't think i'd ever want to be skinny again. i guess it's all about everything being in proportion and getting rid of the manboobs :)

p.s. the insturctor didn't just throw me in the deep end, he showed me each piece of equipment, explained their benefits and how they worked - just a lot of jargon to take in and i feel some 1:1 wold benefit me more. i've got an appointment with an instructor next week so will see what comes of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom