Fellas

ECA

I am a FH squatter
People who have 3/6/12 gb of ram may as well use apple products.

Laddey

FH is my second home
What stuff do i need to assemble the computer?

I remember back in the day... Did i need some paste or something for the heat sink? or did i dream this.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
All you need is a philips screwdriver.

The cpu will come with a cooler that has preapplied thermal paste.
"it'll do".

I would recommend in your "future upgrade list" a hyper 212 evo plus, because the processor you got is highly OC'able and outperforms a 2x the price i3 with a mild OC. ( just google OC+processor type ), but the stock cooler won't cut it.

My upgrade list would be the cooler when you can.
Then new cpu in 12 months or so ( the i5 4690 and i7 4790 ) - they are now 1 gen behind and in 12-18 months you should be able to find them at a solid discount from retailers or cheap online ( ebay etc ).
They're still £150+ and £250+ respectively on ebay secondhand at the moment.

Then another 8gb of ram, and then graphics card, but you won't need to replace that for 5years+ unless you want to get into VR.

Laddey

FH is my second home
All you need is a philips screwdriver.

The cpu will come with a cooler that has preapplied thermal paste.
"it'll do".

I would recommend in your "future upgrade list" a hyper 212 evo plus, because the processor you got is highly OC'able and outperforms a 2x the price i3 with a mild OC. ( just google OC+processor type ), but the stock cooler won't cut it.

My upgrade list would be the cooler when you can.
Then new cpu in 12 months or so ( the i5 4690 and i7 4790 ) - they are now 1 gen behind and in 12-18 months you should be able to find them at a solid discount from retailers or cheap online ( ebay etc ).
They're still £150+ and £250+ respectively on ebay secondhand at the moment.

Then another 8gb of ram, and then graphics card, but you won't need to replace that for 5years+ unless you want to get into VR.
You deserve a medal mate. Thanks a lot.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I feel like my girlfriends gonna flip out if i spend £250 on a graphics card ECA, and i cba with her moaning.

Can you recommend a cheaper graphics card that'll play the required games but on a lower setting? I'll upgrade the card when i do a foreigner and get paid cash coz she'll have absolutely no idea

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Any card below that and you'll have to drop settings on new multiplatforms ( GTA V/ FO4, etc ) to keep 60fps.
I'd rather explain you saved on all the other components specifically to spunk on the gpu.
eg £55 processor instead of £150-250.
£33 ram instead of £60,
etc etc.

The main argument is that for performance/£ the 970 is the best card out there. It gets you 60fps/1080 in new multiplatform games, for less than the R9 390.
No lower spec card will get you to that point.

The problem is the cards below it don't match it's price efficiency in terms of FPS vs £.
You can get a gtx 960 for £150-160, or a 380x for £190, but you will be losing 30% performance on the 390, while your cost isn't reduced as much.

The 960 drop in cost/performance should be £145-150 but ends up being £160.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...gddr5-gpu-1279mhz-boost-1342mhz-cores-1024-3x

tldr, get a 960 if you have to make the sacrifice, otherwise argue better :p

ECA

I am a FH squatter

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I have a 770, and I run Fallout 4 fine

The 970 is the latest card out there from Nvidia so its due a price drop (unless it has already)

What about AMD graphics cards? They're more bang for your buck, but they literally can go bang on certain games, but I have no experience with AMD cards sooo.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Pretty good - if you want to upgrade the gpu in a month or two, you might want to get the 950 today only deal for £99.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/offe...gddr5-gpu-1152mhz-boost-1342mhz-cores-768-3x-

It'll be less of a hit if you resell it in 2 months than the 960.
Of course you'll be a bit more limited in settings but there ya go.

Cool... Realistically what games are going to be hard to play with this spec? This spec will only be for a month then i'll upgrade things.

The biggest problem is paying for the whole thing at once. If i can buy all the basic things like this, i can easily upgrade in a few weeks.

But regarding games... Am i going to really struggle to play certain games in the time being? I'm probably gonna start with elder scrolls online.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
What about AMD graphics cards? They're more bang for your buck, but they literally can go bang on certain games, but I have no experience with AMD cards sooo.

I'd go for AMD if you are either in the integrated budget, or the high end.
AMD are better at higher resolutions, if you want a multicard setup for 4k or VR then I'd be getting 2 390X or 2 Fury X over the 980 ti.
The 380x is a little overpriced vs the 960, and the 970 does better at 1080p than the 390 - if you're planning on running most games @1440/2k you're probably going to have a 390x or a 980 anyway.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Cool... Realistically what games are going to be hard to play with this spec? This spec will only be for a month then i'll upgrade things.

The biggest problem is paying for the whole thing at once. If i can buy all the basic things like this, i can easily upgrade in a few weeks.

But regarding games... Am i going to really struggle to play certain games in the time being? I'm probably gonna start with elder scrolls online.

TESO is absolutely fine on a 950.

Just type whatever game you want + gtx 950 into youtube and you'll find a performance test video.

eg
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLp3XgC56Z4

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's kind of a wash - if you get that I'd get the 8gb module instead of the 16gb.
Going over 1600mhz seems to net little gain in real term performance for gaming though - you can see from the 3ghz ddr4 modules that gain like 0.1fps over 1600mhz ddr3 lol.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thats it... Complete!

I've ordered it all.

Now all i need is a decent desk, any suggestions lol? Corner one preferably.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I have an old 500gb sata hdd at home lads. It'll fit won't it? Will the motherboard take it and power supply run it?

ECA

I am a FH squatter

Laddey

FH is my second home
Oh yeah one thing about that case is it doesn't have an SSD caddy, you might need to buy one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PRIMECASES®-Mounting-Adapter-Bracket-Holder/dp/B00K0D065Q/

You can just leave the ssd at the bottom of the case but uh :d yeah.

Also prebuild watch a video or two of builds using your case ( seriously people post inane shit on youtube but it's helpful :p )

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nzxt+source+220+build

I've ordered the sdd caddy mate but its gonna have to sit on the base until it arrives. Thanks again!

It looks fairly simple even though I've never done it. I've installed different components…

Haven't installed a CPU before though. Any advice?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I've ordered the sdd caddy mate but its gonna have to sit on the base until it arrives. Thanks again!

It looks fairly simple even though I've never done it. I've installed different components…

Earth yrself first :).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

You will find the CPU has a corner that is not square which will line up with the CPU block on the motherboard, so long as you put it in correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom