Food Favourite Roast Dinner

Whats your favourite roast dinner?

• Total voters

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Anyone ever had Turducken? I'd love to try one!

I've had Turducken and Turduckenoose (not at the same time) Very nice indeed. Every Christmas Aldi do a turducken for a tenner that's not too bad a way to give it a try.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Roast is another word for meal yes? Your folkses sunday dinner?

I think i'd go with lamb, other choices are more of a regular food persuasion. Swan is our national animal so hell no.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's illegal to eat swan in the UK anyway, only the queen and polish tramps are allowed to eat it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Apparently swan tastes like fishy crap anyway. Its their diet.

Personally I'm not too fussed which meat so long as there's decent gravy.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Apparently swan tastes like fishy crap anyway. Its their diet.

Aye, gravy brings the entire meal together. Screw the gravy up, you screw the dinner up imo. And none of that nasty packet stuff. Proper gravy = juices from the meat.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Aye, gravy brings the entire meal together. Screw the gravy up, you screw the dinner up imo. And none of that nasty packet stuff. Proper gravy = juices from the meat.

Lamp loves 'The Meat' juices. :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Just ate a magnificent roast chicken dinner. Perfect roast potatoes. Crispy skin. Wonderful gravy.
Have a bowl of curry waiting for me for tomorrow's breakfast.
And the weather's perfect. Going to be a lovely summer autumnal evening.

Happy days. :)

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
It's taken a few days for me to get around to it but I though you roast lover might appreciate the dinner I had last Saturday night!

The Before, The after, The plate and most importantly...THE BRAIN!!!

It was served with potatoes deep fried in pork fat, squash dripping in butter and best of all corn on the cob slathered in garlic aioli and covered in parmesan. Heaven.

The brain actually wasn't bad.
photo(3).JPGphoto(1).JPGphoto(2).JPGphoto.JPG

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Nomnomnom and no fucker scoffed the apple, proper men! :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Disagree on gravy being the most important thing.

If the constituents are amazingly sourced, high quality and cooked to perfection then you could get away (though wouldn't choose to) without gravy.

Gravy is the added extra - the gravy, so to speak. Addition of quality gravy does bring the meal together but I certainly have more interest in the meat and vegetable accompaniments.

My missus fixates on gravy - but then she fixates on mayo, ketchup, sweet chilli sauce - basically all the sauces.

The reason for that is that she was brought up eating fatty salty shite and her taste buds are incapable of appreciating (or even telling the difference between) different types of broccoli.

Gravy (and sauce) fixations are for people who have an underdeveloped palate :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Tonight we are having sausages. Proper sausages from a local butchers. We have some awesome left-over gravy from a beef casserole to go with it. Thick & silky smooth. Unbelievable flavour. The casserole is one of my sister's creations. She's a damn fine cook. But she can't make a good chocolate cake for some reason. I should have married my sister :unsure::whistle:

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I chose "Other".

Venison is the best cooked meat IMO.
A large deer got caught in a fence on on the edge of the land where Mum lives. It made a mess of it's leg and wasn't going anywhere.
She called the gamekeeper for the nearby estate and he came out to assess the situation. He quickly determined that the deer needed to be put down as there was no way it was going to get better by itself. He got his shotgun and did what needed to be done. Then he asked what she wanted to do with the carcass, when it hit her that here was a large number of kilograms of venison! She asked him to take it to the local abattoir where they did what they needed to do. A couple of days later and she had a freezer FULL of cuts of venison, diced venison, venison fat and other edibles from deer.

I tell you now, the taste of this "wild" deer was much stronger than commercial venison. I can only put it down to either the fact it was free-roaming, or that it had an adrenaline dump from the injury.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've a friend who's parents own a small organic farm in Worcestershire - they've said that any time I like I'm welcome to come and shoot down there.

It'll clear out the rabbits and bag me a few phesants - but what I'm interested in is the deer. I'd have to buy me a box freezer just to fill with the loverly loverly venison. It makes an amazing roast and the worlds best pies (venison, red wine and mushroom is astonishingly good).

Two things here. 1) My missus doesn't like venison - see the note about a sh1t palate and gravy fixations above, and 2) I can't shoot :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Its ok. The new iphone5 comes with an app that'll shoot the deer for you

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
and 2) I can't shoot :(

Bit like all the attackers in the current Liverpool squad. :p

Oh and fuck off about the pallette, Gordon Ramsay is a massive gravy advocate as is Heston, Michelle Roux Jr and many other top class chefs.

You are talking bollocks again Laaaa! ;) :D :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh and fuck off about the pallette, Gordon Ramsay is a massive gravy advocate as is Heston, Michelle Roux Jr and many other top class chefs.

True - but I was responding to this, which you agreed with:

You telling me the top-class chefs think the gravy is more important than the meat?

:)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You telling me the top-class chefs think the gravy is more important than the meat?

:)

I'm not telling you anything of the sort. All I said was I'm not fussed about which type of meat I have in a Roast dinner, but that gravy makes the meal. There are plenty of meat dishes that I wouldn't let a gravy boat within in a mile of, but a good roast dinner has good gravy, end of story.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Furry muff then. It ties it together, which I agree with :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Roast chicken tonight :):)

Unfortunately, I have to prep the spuds. The Mrs says I have to use a peeler, not an old razor, a samurai sword, or burning it off with lighter fluid. She takes all the fun out of peeling spuds.

Appollo

Part of the furniture
Stuffing balls are win! And brussels are the only greens I can eat :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Just ate a magnificent roast chicken dinner with my wonderful chilli roast potatoes.

Chicken: 10/10
Roasties: 11/10
Veg: 6/10
Gravy: 6/10
Wine: 10/10 for quality; -10/10 for appropriateness (2004 Chateauneuf du Pape. Yes, I know, red grape & white meat is social suicide, but you're talking to a man who puts on an old T-shirt because he eats roast dinners like a pig)

For later: Big tub of Celebrations chocolates (£5 Tesco)

Got Dynorod on speed-dial for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom