FAO any piston heads here

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
All the talk of remaps on this thread has clearly sowed the seeds in my head (that and a mate buying an M3) - the Beast is booked in for a remap on Wednesday.

I've been told from several places that the 218bhp -> 280 bhp is a pipe dream, given a) the 125i has longer gear ratios than the 130i, and b) BMW only got 272 out of it in the Z4 3.0Si, but we are aiming for around 255 and any extra is a bonus. I will report back on Wednesday :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
All the talk of remaps on this thread has clearly sowed the seeds in my head (that and a mate buying an M3) - the Beast is booked in for a remap on Wednesday.

I've been told from several places that the 218bhp -> 280 bhp is a pipe dream, given a) the 125i has longer gear ratios than the 130i, and b) BMW only got 272 out of it in the Z4 3.0Si, but we are aiming for around 255 and any extra is a bonus. I will report back on Wednesday :)
Nice.

Bodhi

Looks like I picked the right day for a remap. When I get it back later I expect I will be able to spin the rear tyres even quicker than before when trying to get off the drive.

Bodhi

Finally had a chance to put it through its paces this morning on the M6 - oooft we happy. Still doubt it's kicking out 280 bhp, but it definitely zips up to the redline far quicker than before, and no longer feels like it's straining against an invisible leash. Engine seems even smoother now, and MPG has gone up 1 or 2 compared to before.

Win.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Finally had a chance to put it through its paces this morning on the M6 - oooft we happy. Still doubt it's kicking out 280 bhp, but it definitely zips up to the redline far quicker than before, and no longer feels like it's straining against an invisible leash. Engine seems even smoother now, and MPG has gone up 1 or 2 compared to before.

Win.
I don't understand why it's legal to have software that increases your MPG and have car companies not take advantage.

If a car can do more MPG through something as simple as software, then it should be mandatory, on pain of your entire companies families taken out and shot, for companies to set it to exactly that.

Bodhi

I don't understand why it's legal to have software that increases your MPG and have car companies not take advantage.

If a car can do more MPG through something as simple as software, then it should be mandatory, on pain of your entire companies families taken out and shot, for companies to set it to exactly that.

Because when a car company puts together the standard map, they have to take into account the fact that the car will be sold globally, and used in a variety of conditions, temperatures, from -20 to 50 degrees, with a variety of fuels - the aftermarket tuners have no such concerns, so can push things a bit further. Plus, I suspect I'm only getting better fuel consumption as I now need lower throttle openings to achieve the same performance.

A far bigger concern as far as MPG goes is how well the car is maintained - a well serviced car will always get better fuel consumption than one that has crusty old spark plugs, ignition coils etc. I would suggest people who don't maintain their cars properly should be taken out and shot if we are executing people for using an extra litre of petrol here and there.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're just worried @Bodhi - that some smart politician will one day just say "why don't all cars have a minimum petrol performance" - which would trash the industry and fashion cars.

Bodhi

You're just worried @Bodhi - that some smart politician will one day just say "why don't all cars have a minimum petrol performance" - which would trash the industry and fashion cars.

And on that day, Satan will be skating to work.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And on that day, Satan will be skating to work.
Meh. If you accept that the environmental devestation caused by fossil fuels and cars is real, it's really only sensible.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Meh. If you accept that the environmental devestation caused by fossil fuels and cars is real, it's really only sensible.
Depends how the car is fueled in the future. If you could fill it with water and have a hydrogen splitting tech in there it wouldnt really be a problem

;)

Bodhi

Must admit I'm yet to see any. I can imagine however, how fucked we would have been this week without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom