FAO any piston heads here

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So 13k depreciation in 3 years. £4.3k/year?

Fuck that.
Well 2015 M135i (the 140i's predecessor) are still going for £20k so that could just be £6k depreciation :)

Marc

FH is my second home
I very nearly went for the 140i but I fancied something a bit bigger and the manual handbrake seemed old-fashioned. You can't argue with the engine though. It's fantastic.

If she wants a 1 series she'd surely kick herself with regret later if she didn't get the 140i. There are great discounts on BMW almost across the whole range but the 140i especially. I've had brand new offers for £26k. That's barely more than a normal hatch.

For some reason I thought the 140i was like £45k + lol

Marc

FH is my second home
Not at all, and it can work out far cheaper than buying outright. Take the M140i, you can get a brand new one with no options for £28k from your local dealer without too many issues, judging by what's available on Pistonheads, in 3 years time it will probably be worth about 15k, so as long as the deal you find is under £13k you're quids in for some hassle free motoring. OK you can't mod it, but for someone who just wants transport they aren't a bad way of going about it at all.

Some lease deals have been silly - £259 a month for a Golf R for instance wasn't unheard of a couple of years ago.

Whats your thoughts on the Golf R? It was another car my missus was looking at

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I very nearly went for the 140i but I fancied something a bit bigger and the manual handbrake seemed old-fashioned. You can't argue with the engine though. It's fantastic.

If she wants a 1 series she'd surely kick herself with regret later if she didn't get the 140i. There are great discounts on BMW almost across the whole range but the 140i especially. I've had brand new offers for £26k. That's barely more than a normal hatch.

Good heavens. You actually wanted an electric handbrake? Hey everybody, I think I've found "that guy" :)

Useless bloody things - how you supposed to pull a handbrake turn with a button?

Bodhi

Engine is a bit uninspiring compared to the 140i, but difficult to argue with the way it drives, and they are bloody quick (although the 140i is quicker above 30 when traction is less of an issue). Can't really go wrong with either that or the M140i - I'd go for the M240i myself, in fact there's every chance later this year, I just might :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Good heavens. You actually wanted an electric handbrake? Hey everybody, I think I've found "that guy" :)

Useless bloody things - how you supposed to pull a handbrake turn with a button?
I'm not intending to. I'm getting old and lazy and want everything done for me :)

Bodhi

To be fair, if it's like the handbrake on every single BMW I've ever owned, it will stop working about 80k miles anyway :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The Golf R is a fun car. It has 4-wheel drive but still maintains more entertaining handling that the Audi S3 which is largely the same car.

It isn't as fun as the M140i handling or engine-wise but is more composed and less likely to give your Mrs a brown-pants moment :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not at all, and it can work out far cheaper than buying outright. Take the M140i, you can get a brand new one with no options for £28k from your local dealer without too many issues, judging by what's available on Pistonheads, in 3 years time it will probably be worth about 15k, so as long as the deal you find is under £13k you're quids in for some hassle free motoring. OK you can't mod it, but for someone who just wants transport they aren't a bad way of going about it at all.

Some lease deals have been silly - £259 a month for a Golf R for instance wasn't unheard of a couple of years ago.
But there is nothing at the end. So you are comitted to payments and then have to get a new one with a set of payments again. Its fine if you like throwing money away but cars these days can last more than ten years with proper maintnance. Im now payment free on my car. Gives me 300 quid a month i am not paying out.

Oh and dont forget the fine toothed comb they go over the car with at the end of the lease to charge you for anything they dont deem fair wear and tear.

Bodhi

But there is nothing at the end. So you are comitted to payments and then have to get a new one with a set of payments again. Its fine if you like throwing money away but cars these days can last more than ten years with proper maintnance. Im now payment free on my car. Gives me 300 quid a month i am not paying out.

Oh and dont forget the fine toothed comb they go over the car with at the end of the lease to charge you for anything they dont deem fair wear and tear.

OK, let's suppose you spend 28K on an M140i. Keep it for 3 years, when you sell it and get, say 16K for it, you are 12K down and have no car.

If you get a lease deal over the same term then hand it back after 3 years, you are less than 12K down and have no car.

Like it or not, depreciation is a cost for any motorist, as it is money that has to be invested to replace your car with something similar. The lease cost is just the depreciation you would have been hit for, however you pay for it.

Don't forget not everyone wants to keep a car for 10 years, some people want new shiny after 3. With a lease, pop another deposit down and get new shiny. With PCP, use an equity for a deposit and get new shiny. If you buy outright, use the trade in plus the money you have lost in depreciation and get new shiny. Just 3 different ways of funding a new car.

P.S I am financing mine the same way as you - via good old fashioned Hire Purchase, so the car is mine in June. However, that works for 2nd hand cars, they are prohibitive on new models.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
OK, let's suppose you spend 28K on an M140i. Keep it for 3 years, when you sell it and get, say 16K for it, you are 12K down and have no car.

If you get a lease deal over the same term then hand it back after 3 years, you are less than 12K down and have no car.

Like it or not, depreciation is a cost for any motorist, as it is money that has to be invested to replace your car with something similar. The lease cost is just the depreciation you would have been hit for, however you pay for it.

Don't forget not everyone wants to keep a car for 10 years, some people want new shiny after 3. With a lease, pop another deposit down and get new shiny. With PCP, use an equity for a deposit and get new shiny. If you buy outright, use the trade in plus the money you have lost in depreciation and get new shiny. Just 3 different ways of funding a new car.

P.S I am financing mine the same way as you - via good old fashioned Hire Purchase, so the car is mine in June. However, that works for 2nd hand cars, they are prohibitive on new models.
I never buy brand new. Usually six months old with 8k ish miles on the clock

Bodhi

I never buy brand new. Usually six months old with 8k ish miles on the clock

So leases aren't entirely relevant, given they tend to be offered on new cars.

To summarise your point, nearly new cars are cheaper than new ones. In other news....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pulled a cheeky handbrake leaving my road this morning on the snow leaving for work.

Made me smile :)

Bodhi

Pulled a cheeky handbrake leaving my road this morning on the snow leaving for work.

Made me smile :)

That's what I love about rear wheel drive for shenanigans. No need for a handbrake :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or spend 13k on a nearly new car, keep it for 15 years without maintaining it, apparently they still go for 2k. But it won't go until it becomes uneconomical.

Instead, I spent the monthly payments that you're talking about above and paid off my mortgage ten years early. :)

At no point have I ever been able to logically justify that sort of long-term outlay on a car. Cars are nice, yes, but they're there to do a job - and £300 / month buys you a shitload of holidays, which are nicer than cars.

Marc

FH is my second home
Engine is a bit uninspiring compared to the 140i, but difficult to argue with the way it drives, and they are bloody quick (although the 140i is quicker above 30 when traction is less of an issue). Can't really go wrong with either that or the M140i - I'd go for the M240i myself, in fact there's every chance later this year, I just might :)

Showed my missus the M240i and she decided she wanted that!

Marc

FH is my second home
The Golf R is a fun car. It has 4-wheel drive but still maintains more entertaining handling that the Audi S3 which is largely the same car.

It isn't as fun as the M140i handling or engine-wise but is more composed and less likely to give your Mrs a brown-pants moment :)

Isnt it a bit of a hard drive?

Bodhi

Or spend 13k on a nearly new car, keep it for 15 years without maintaining it, apparently they still go for 2k. But it won't go until it becomes uneconomical.

Instead, I spent the monthly payments that you're talking about above and paid off my mortgage ten years early. :)

At no point have I ever been able to logically justify that sort of long-term outlay on a car. Cars are nice, yes, but they're there to do a job - and £300 / month buys you a shitload of holidays, which are nicer than cars.

Normally I would agree, but work pay me a car allowance, so they are effectively paying off the HP on the 1 Series for me, so at the end of it I will have a free car :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Normally I would agree, but work pay me a car allowance, so they are effectively paying off the HP on the 1 Series for me, so at the end of it I will have a free car :)
Work pay my missus a car allowance - that goes on her mortgage ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My car allowance is used for other things. Paying a little off the mortgage is one of them. Buying fun electronics is the rest

Bodhi

That's what I used it for when I had the 330d, but after a few tasty deals came in I thought I'd use to to treat myself to a sporty little number :)

Pretty much already decided I ain't selling it, when I get a new one it will be wifey's car. Although she hates driving it, so it will end up being my toy :)

Marc

FH is my second home
Well, I had the remap done first thing yesterday. Maybe it’s just placebo but the engine sounded even more beastly. Driving around town, felt no difference in performance. Then went on the motorway. Holy shit lol I absolutely do not dare put it in sport mode so no traction control. Got an extra 2mpg on the motorway than normal but that’s potentially not an accurate reflection. Had so much fun and then to top it off, a GTR pulls up at the side of me revving his engine and I know it’s childish but I couldn’t resist. He was still in my rear view mirror when I approached license losing speeds so slowed down and let him past. My plan was to get a GTR next year but I think I may get an S63 instead and remap it!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well, I had the remap done first thing yesterday. Maybe it’s just placebo but the engine sounded even more beastly. Driving around town, felt no difference in performance. Then went on the motorway. Holy shit lol I absolutely do not dare put it in sport mode so no traction control. Got an extra 2mpg on the motorway than normal but that’s potentially not an accurate reflection. Had so much fun and then to top it off, a GTR pulls up at the side of me revving his engine and I know it’s childish but I couldn’t resist. He was still in my rear view mirror when I approached license losing speeds so slowed down and let him past. My plan was to get a GTR next year but I think I may get an S63 instead and remap it!
Nice :)

Marc

FH is my second home
Had a test drive session today. Golf R was just a massive no no! The 125i came out on top so my lass has ordered one so thanks Bodhi! Also had a blast of an m2. What a car!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Had a test drive session today. Golf R was just a massive no no! The 125i came out on top so my lass has ordered one so thanks Bodhi! Also had a blast of an m2. What a car!
But you didn't buy the M2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom