Question Famous people from your town

Ezteq

Queen of OT
ha I just discovered there is a Chinese giant buried in the one up the road too!

He was called Cheng Woo Gow (died 1893) and just under 8ft, came to Bournemouth in 1890 (oh yikes the place obviously did not agree with him lol) and he was usually accompanied by a 3ft 'dwarf' (their words not mine!), Cheng was highly educated and spoke 6 languages and was often the guest of monarchy and politicians...he was said to have died of a broken heart shortly after the death of his wife. (reference taken from a local studies book called something like the history of bournemouth or similar lol...cba bibliographying!!)

The book also lists a few other interesting dead'uns and gives cemetery plot references so I might go up there at some point for a poke about and see who I can find!...don't judge me, every gal needs a hobby!

Jeros

Part of the furniture
There's actually a surprising number of people who came from or who have strong links with Colchester who have made their mark in History.

Damon Albarn - Lead Singer from Blur and creater of Rock Band Gorillaz. Former pupil of Stanway School

Paul Allender - Lead Guitarist of Cradle of Filth was born in Colchester.

Boudica (Boadicea) - Queen of the Iceni virtually destroyed Roman Colchester in AD60

Allister Carter - Professional Snooker Player

Graham Coxon - Former Blur Guitarist and Pupil of Stanway School.

John Constable - The Landscape Painter was born in East Bergholt and famous for his landscape paintings of Dedham Vale

Darren Day - Actor and West End Star who attended Sir Charles Lucas School

Cunobelin (Shakespeare's Cymbeline) - King of Britons 9AD - 40AD. His coins have been found locally and are displayed at Colchester Castle Museum. He is also the subject of a Shakespeare play.

William Gilberd - Chief Physician to Elizabeth I and pioneer in the field of Magnetism

John Grant - Author of Lovejoy Stories set just outside Colchester

Joan Hickson - Played Agatha Christie's Miss Marple and died in Colchester in 1998

Matthew Hopkins - Witchfinder General during the time of the English Civil War lived in Manningtree

Jay Kay - Jamiroquai frontman and former pupil of Holmwood House Preparatory School

Bernard Mason - Prominent Colchester Businessman, Philanthropist and Clock Collector. His former home, Tymperleys (also the former home of William Gilberd), now a museum houses his collection.

Dermot O'Leary - Television Presenter, born in Colchester and attendeed Colchester 6th Form College

Dave Rowntree - Drummer with Blur

Jeremy Spake - Appeared in fly-on-the-wall documentary Airport is from Great Bentley.

Jane and Anne Taylor - Authors and Poets who wrote the lyrics to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

Neat!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'll see your Micheal Palin and raise you a Sir Geoff Hurst, scorer of the winning goals in England's only World Cup final and therefore a national hero! :D

And if that doesn't work then Mick Hucknell is bound to! :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
that little bald skinny guy from the Gadget Show

gohan

FH is my second home
lewis hamilton, ashley young, jack wiltshire, kevin phillips and ian poulter are the only ones i know of

very sporting town clearly

i think david bently was from stevenage too, i know he went out with a girl in my form since like year 9 (think he still does)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
where i grew up is relatively new town so not many famous people, though Nicolaj Agger (who is Daniel Aggers cousin) went to school in Ishøj and scored a winning goal in a UEFA cup game a few years ago for Brøndby :p

but, i then moved to Woking (which is very old) and found lots more famous people;

HG Wells

Eric Clapton
Paul Weller - Jam
Rick Buckler - Jam
Bruce Foxton - Jam

Actor Peter Davison

The Spice Girls - founded in woking :(

Peter Gabriel - founder of Genesis

Rick Parfitt - Status Quo

World War II heroines Lilian Rolfe and Sonya Butt.

Harry Hill

Derek Griffiths

Ron Dennis, the boss of the TAG McLaren Group.

James Cracknell - rower, won gold Sydney 2000.

Kieran West, won gold for the rowing eight. in Sydney 2000

Sam Lowe, won a Gold Medal in the Judo event at the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

Brian Hooper, six-times pole vaulting champion between.

Delia Smith

Woking-born Graham Wilmott, better known as author Albert Jack, stormed into the best-seller lists at the end of 2004. His book, Red Herrings and White Elephants explains the origins of hundreds of common phrases from the English language.

Graham Stuart Thomas - Plantsman and horticultural writer

DJ Darren Price

Sir Samuel Morton Peto, the Victorian contractor responsible for the building of Nelson's Column + re-building of parliament

Comedian Sean Lock

Tessa Wyatt, actress and first wife of Tony Blackburn

Gary Daniels, British kickboxer and martial artist

Matt Willis, former member of the punk pop group Busted

Terry Hand, British theatre director

Leslie 'Les' Reed O.B.E.

David Sproxton and Peter Lord , co-creators of Aardman Animations Ltd.

Author Paolo Hewitt

looooooots of fame (stolen from councils website :p )

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Woking is also full of dirty slags so it balances itself out. :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Roger Daltrey lived on the street I used to live on in Shepherd's Bush when he was a nipper.

Unfortunately the most famous people from the area I live in now are Conor Duffy and Shane Lynch from Boyzone... from Tommy to Tosspots in one jump.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
you're just upset because Henry VIII is cooler than all your manc faggots put together

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Henry had someone to wipe his bum. Sounds pretty cool to me

(mind you, I might be like that when I'm 90.... :(...but then I'll be too old to care :p)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
you're just upset because Henry VIII is cooler than all your manc faggots put together

Cooler than Geoff Hurst? :D The crowd is on the pitch, they think it is all over. It is now!

Helme

Resident Freddy
Did Geoff Hurst start a new religion just so he could shag Anne Boleyn? I don't think so!
I think thats kind of unfair, shagging Anne Boleyn wouldn't be much motivation to start a religion in this day and age, where would you put it?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Did Geoff Hurst start a new religion just so he could shag Anne Boleyn? I don't think so!

Geoff Hurst invented dogging just so he could shag random dirty birds every night all around the country! God bless you Sir Geoff!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Well, not exactly my home town, but Michael Schumacher was born in a town 20km away from me. Ironically, the people from this town have a very bad reputation when it comes to their driving skills.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
From my home town:

Margaret Thatcher
Isaac Newton
Nicholas Parsons

And....erm....Beverley Allitt the serial killer

And notable residents:

Des Lynam
Geoff Capes

Not too shabby for a small town. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread