Question Famous people from your town

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Just been having a look at the wiki page for my home town of Denton which is a suburb of Manchester. Was quite suprised to find out that Sir Geoff Hurst lived here until the age of 8 but also there are a few other famous names from this small town including the men who invented the bowler hat! :D

Notable people who come from Denton include:

Jimmy Armfield OBE, England footballer. Freeman of the Borough of Blackpool, was born in Denton. Although he has spent most of his life in Blackpool, he was honoured by Tameside Council in July 2009 and was presented with a lifetime achievement award by Denton and Audenshaw District Assembly.[citation needed]

* Thomas Bowler (17 September 1826 – 15 September 1893) and his uncle: William (25 January 1808–1878): Hatters, who were born in Denton and moved to Southwark in London around 1840/1, where they became involved in the development of the hat which bears their name.[14]

* Private Albert Hill who was awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery during World War I. He was also awarded the French Croix de Guerre and the Russian Cross of St George for his bravery on 20 July 1916.

* Mick Hucknall, who became the lead singer of Simply Red lived in Denton and attended Audenshaw School.

* Sir Geoff Hurst the West Ham United and England 1966 World Cup footballer lived in Denton until he was 8-years old. His grandfather lived on Cemetery Road until his death.

* Sue O'Brien, business entrepeneur, CEO of Elliot Business Equipment Ltd selling tills and owner of Till rolls, thermal rolls, chip and pin rolls, credit card rolls from Tillfood Ltd, selling till rolls.

* Brooke Vincent, the Coronation Street actress who plays Sophie Webster, lives in Denton.

* Paul Lake, attended St. Thomas More Roman Catholic College and played for Manchester City and was destined for England until his career was cut short with a knee injury.
* Alan "Reni" Wren, lived in Denton and attended Egerton Park Arts College and was the drummer for The Stone Roses.

Paul Lake was a good lad, when he was playing for City and on the verge of an England call-up he used to come back and visit his old school 'Saint Thomas More' which I attended. He always had time for the kids and made time for the school.

Reni from The Stone Roses, is the cousin of an old school friend. Was a good lad when he wasn't stoned. :p

Mick Hucknall, once a cnut always a cnut as the saying goes. :D

So, who came from your hometown?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Kate Moss, Dane Bowers and Bradley from S-Club 7. Naomi Campbell used to live in Norbury too.

I'm sure there might be some proper famous people too :)

Oh, Chris Eubanks nephew went to my school and he came to talk to us twice, think he was local as well.

georgie

FH is my second home
Wiki said:
Many notable people have hailed from Cardiff, ranging from historical figures such as the 12th century Welsh leader Ifor Bach and the 17th century pirate Henry Morgan to more recent figures such as Roald Dahl, Ken Follett, Griff Rhys Jones and the former Blue Peter presenter Gethin Jones. In particular, the city has been home to many sports stars such as Tanni Grey-Thompson and Colin Jackson as well as many Premier League, Football League and international footballers, such as Craig Bellamy (Cardiff City), Gareth Bale (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Joe Ledley (Celtic), Terry Yorath (Leeds United), and the current manager of the Wales national football team John Toshack (Liverpool).

Cardiff is also well-known for its musicians such as Ivor Novello, after whom the Ivor Novello Awards are named. Shirley Bassey is familiar to many as the singer of three James Bond movie theme tunes, whilst Charlotte Church is famous as a crossover classical/pop singer, and Shakin' Stevens was one of the top selling male artists in the UK during the 1980s. A number of Cardiff-based bands, such as Catatonia and Super Furry Animals were popular during the 1990s.

Crackin'!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Town

* Will Alsop[30] architect, was born, raised, and studied for his Foundation degree in the town. Designed North Greenwich tube station on the London Underground Jubilee Line
* Judy Carne, actress, born Joyce Botterill on 27 April 1939 in the town. Her catch phrase wasphrase "Sock it to me!" on Laugh-In
* Tom Hewitt, artist and sculptor, was born here in 1988
* Alan Carr comedian, attended what is now Weston Favell School. Host of Channel 4's "Sunday Night Project". His father Graham Carr managed Northampton Town FC[31]
* Andrew Collins journalist and broadcaster, grew up in the town and wrote about it in his memoir Where Did It All Go Right?
* Delia Derbyshire (deceased), who produced the original Doctor Who theme tune, spent her final years in the town
* Marcia Matilda Falkender, Baroness Falkender, formerly Marcia Williams, private secretary to Prime Minister Harold Wilson was educated at Northampton High School for Girls
* Joan Hickson, who played Miss Marple, comes from Kingsthorpe
* Lesley Joseph Birds of a Feather actress grew up in the town
* Robert Llewellyn, actor, (Kryten from Red Dwarf) was born here and lived at 47 Booth Rise until the age of 13[32]
* Tim Minchin comedian, actor and musician was born here
* Alan Moore, writer of V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Voice of the Fire, a fictionalised history of the town, is a lifelong resident
* James Morrison singer/songwriter lived in the town for 18 months and went to Kingsthorpe Middle School
* Nanette Newman, actress and author, wife of Bryan Forbes was born here
* Anna Murby, former BBC radio presenter attended Campion School, Bugbrooke
* Des O'Connor, television presenter and singer, evacuated to the town in 1932 during WWII and briefly played for Northampton Town FC
* Myrea Pettit, fantasy artist of fairies, flowers and butterflies learned her craft in the county
* Derek Redmond, Olympic runner, was born and raised here and attended Roade Comprehensive School, now Roade Sports College, where the sports hall is named after him
* Norman Smiley, professional wrestler, was born here
* Matt Smith, actor, who plays the eleventh Doctor in Doctor Who and is the youngest actor in the role, went to Northampton School for Boys[33][34][35][36][37]
* Diana, Princess of Wales (Diana Spencer) is buried at Althorp, the country estate of Earl Spencer where Charles Spencer, the current and 9th Earl Spencer (b.1964) is her brother. In 1989, the Prince and Princess of Wales, Charles & Diana, made an official visit to Northampton and Diana was made an Honorary Freeman of the Borough.[38] The Royal Pioneer Corps from the former Simpson Barracks, which were located at Wootton in the south of the town, stood guard of honour on the day.[39] There is a bronze plaque in her memory on the outside of the Guildhall 1992 extension
* Graeme Swann, cricketer was born in Northampton and played for Northamptonshire County Cricket Club from 1998-2004 before moving to Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club. He currently plays in both the England Test and One Day International teams
* Michael Underwood, TV presenter, lives in the town and attended what is now Weston Favell School
* Marc Warren, who played Danny Blue in the BBC's Hustle series, was born in Kingsthorpe
* Jo Whiley, a BBC Radio 1 presenter attended Campion School, Bugbrooke
* Stuart Pearson Wright, award winning artist, was born here in 1975

Quite a few interesting people (Robert Llewellyn, Alan Moore) quite a few twats (Jo Whiley, Alan Carr)

Village, not a lot really but its pretty small, we used to get a lot of Northampton Saints players living here a few years back, Saints owned a house here. Steve Thomson is married to someone I went to school with.

* Jill Knight, Baroness Knight of Collingtree (born: 9 July 1923) former Conservative MP for Edgbaston from 1966–97, is a village resident.
* John George Sears (1870–1916) was a shoe manufacturer and the founder of Sears plc, which was one of the UK's largest retail businesses. He lived in Collingtree Grange. He is buried in St Columba's churchyard.
* William Wood the Botanist was born in the village in 1745.[9]

tierk

Part of the furniture
Bayswater, not strictly not a town but anyway....

WIKI said:
Notable residents

* Damon Albarn
* Brett Anderson
* Mike Atherton
* J. M. Barrie, playwright and novelist, author of Peter Pan, and his wife Mary née Ansell, at 100 Bayswater Road
* Tony Blair
* Winston Churchill
* Jeremy Clarkson
* A. J. Cronin
* Alexander Fleming
* Mariella Frostrup
* Reginald Gray (Irish Artist) lived with his wife Catherine at 105a Queensway from 1958 to 1963.After their divorce in 1975 Catherine married jazzman Chris Barber.
* Alice Hart-Davis
* Dylan Jones
* Jonathan King
* Keira Knightley
* Guglielmo Marconi (the pioneer of wireless communication) lived at 71 Hereford Road between 1896 and 1897 with his mother upon arrival to England (marked by a Blue Plaque)
* Stella McCartney
* Irfan Orga (exile, writer) lived at 29, 35 and 21 Inverness Terrace from 1942 until the mid fifties, publishing his memoirs Portrait of a Turkish Family in 1950.
* Paul Simonon
* Sting occupied a basement flat at 28A Leinster Square in the late seventies during the formative years of The Police. Trudie Styler, now his wife, lived in a basement flat two doors down.[1]

Various persons of international renown are frequently reported as buying property in the area, including Claudia Schiffer.

Everz

FH is my second home
There are a number of notable people who are associated with Wolverhampton.

Political figures include Enoch Powell MP, Sir Charles Pelham Villiers MP – who holds the record for the longest serving MP, Helene Hayman, Baroness Hayman who was the first Lord Speaker within the House of Lords, former Cabinet minister Stephen Byers, David Wright, a former UK Ambassador to Japan and Button Gwinnett, who was a signatory of the US Declaration of Independence and briefly served as Governor of Georgia.

There are many sportspeople associated with the city, with footballers such as Billy Wright, Steve Bull, Bert Williams and Jimmy Mullen; along with Percy Stallard and Hugh Porter within the world of cycling, the Olympic medallist swimmer Anita Lonsbrough, professional darts player Wayne Jones, racing driver and winner of the 24 hours of Le Mans Richard Attwood and athletes such as Tessa Sanderson and Denise Lewis.

Entertainers include actors Nigel Bennett, Goldie, Frances Barber, Meera Syal and Eric Idle; and musicians Noddy Holder, Dave Hill, Jamelia, Beverley Knight, Dave Holland, Maggie Teyte, Edward Elgar, Mitch Harris and Robert Plant; whilst television presenters Suzi Perry, Mark Rhodes and the late Mark Speight are also associated.

Within the area of commerce and industry, Sir Alfred Hickman (first Chairman of Tarmac), Sir Geoffrey Mander, John Marston (founder of the Sunbeam company), John 'Iron Mad' Wilkinson (pioneer of Cast Iron) and Mervyn King Governor of the Bank of England are amongst the most notable.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well can't be sure they all were actually born here, but famous residents include

Anne Robinson
Kenny Everett
Kenny Dalglish
Cherie Booth (Blair)
Steve McManaman
Bruce Ismay (Titanic)
Lord John Birt (Ran the BBC)
Stevie Gerrad!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No one has topped me yet. DANE BOWERS people, Dane freaking bowers.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
everal notable people have lived in Cheadle Hulme, some of whom attended Cheadle Hulme School. Actors and actresses from the area[Note 2] include Kirsten Cassidy, an alumnus of Cheadle Hulme School best known for playing Tanya Young in Grange Hill;[116] and Tim McInnerny, an actor best known for his roles in Blackadder as Lord Percy (series one and two) and Captain Darling (series four).[117] Other notable people from the area include Patrick du Val, a mathematician and professor at University College London;[118] Jennifer Pike, an award-winning violinist;[119] Julian Turner, a poet and mental health worker;[120] John Davenport Siddeley (Baron Kenilworth), a captain of the automobile industry in the United Kingdom;[121] James Kirk, a recipient of the Victoria Cross;[122] Dame Felicity Peake, founder of the Women's Royal Air Force;[123] and Stuart Pilkington, a property developer and a housemate in Big Brother in 2008.[124]

Well, we got a starship captain

georgie

FH is my second home
Tough to beat the big cities, that is why I put my local town rather than Manchester or it would be a long list. Same for most cities I guess.

My part of Cardiff has only been going about 30 or so years. :(

leviathane

Part of the furniture
ye but that's didcot. Didcot is a shit hole, literally speaking no pun intended.

Gray

FH is my second home
Couple of notable people off the top of my head from Widnes.

Andrew Higginson, snooker player
Mel C from the Spice Girls
Kim Cattrall from Sex and the City
Gary Taylor-Fletcher of Blackpool FC, only recently though due to their promotion.

But it's a rugby town too, so there have been plenty of players past and present who played and lived in Widnes, for Widnes Vikings.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Aldershot, Hampshire

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
catherine cookson
ridley scott
ex-hull tosspot phil brown
lauren laverne
joe mcelderry.... does that beat dane bowers? haha

Edmond

Surely my Alex Reid beats Bowers, He's the slags man of choice these days

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol i don't know who those people are Ed because I can't read the blue writing against the green screen it hurts my eyes!!

Um famous people from here...

Famous people who have lived in Charminster and Bournemouth too lazy to transcribe.

also have Inspector Abberline buried just up the road from me and Mary Shelly buried just down the road from me, due to my habit of wanderin' round grave yards i find all kind of interesting stiffs to keep me entertained.

Edmond

I poo poo your green screen........Default FTW !!!!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
lol i don't know who those people are Ed because I can't read the blue writing against the green screen it hurts my eyes!!

Um famous people from here...

Famous people who have lived in Charminster and Bournemouth too lazy to transcribe.

also have Inspector Abberline buried just up the road from me and Mary Shelly buried just down the road from me, due to my habit of wanderin' round grave yards i find all kind of interesting stiffs to keep me entertained.

Nothing wrong with your interest in stiffs, tis why we like you fair lady! :D

ileks

Part of the furniture
According to wikipedia, we have: Alan sugar, Ronald and Reginald Kray, Tony Blair, Ron 'Chopper' Harris,, Phillips Idowu, Barbara Windsor, Ray Winstone, Professor Green,Jeremy Beadle, Pete Doherty and Noel Fielding although I don't think they were all actually born in the borough.

List of people from Hackney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone got someone wealthier than Alan Sugar? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom