Waste? Facebook have bought Oculus

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Mass effect, need for speed, battlefield. dragon age, crysis. To name the big ones and no matter what you personally think of them, they are good games. (and what DaGaffer just posted).

Bottom line and fact is; no one knows what FB buying means for Oculus, it's just cynical internet thinking to dismiss it straight away because of that. Just like with EA.

So you just list a bunch of games that ruined several franchises by watering them down. Bro shooters and shallow RPGs. Riiight. Thanks for proving my point though.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So you just list a bunch of games that ruined several franchises by watering them down. Bro shooters and shallow RPGs. Riiight. Thanks for proving my point though.

By ruined you mean they were good at some point? Thanks for proving my point.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
By ruined you mean they were good at some point? Thanks for proving my point.

Yeah, they were excellent before EA bought them. Mass effect was always dreadful but the development house used to create good games.

Another example is Westwood, Command and conquer, excellent until the exact moment EA trashed them.

Anyway, this is all besides the point. Oculous Rift will no longer be about gaming, not proper gaming anyway. Johnny fuckknuckle might be able to have a 3d walk around his farmville farm though I am sure. But something being popular means its good, right? Like Eastenders.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Before EA bought them? All the games i listed were EA published from the start.

And bringing up westwood when you ask for a 5 year reference yourself is lolworthy to say the least :p

Anyway, this is all besides the point. Oculous Rift will no longer be about gaming, not proper gaming anyway. Johnny fuckknuckle might be able to have a 3d walk around his farmville farm though I am sure. But something being popular means its good, right? Like Eastenders.

And just because some company or such has made mistakes it must mean it's always going to be sh*t right?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yeah, they were excellent before EA bought them. Mass effect was always dreadful but the development house used to create good games.

Another example is Westwood, Command and conquer, excellent until the exact moment EA trashed them.

Erm, Battlefield was always a EA franchise, and despite its issues over the years I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Haven't played 4 because kids 'n stuff, but it was good up to and including 3.

TBH there are plenty of EA titles I've enjoyed; BF, various FIFAs, Spore, some of the MoH games (not all, admittedly).

Not played it so can't pass judgement.

I take you it you have?

I had ago at a mate's house only a couple of nights ago (PC version), it's really good. Not sure my old PC would run it very well though, and I'd have to dig out my old Origin account (I last played a game properly the week before my son was born, which was Christmas 2011...), but I'm very tempted.

Poag

m00?
Bottom line and fact is; no one knows what FB buying means for Oculus, it's just cynical internet thinking to dismiss it straight away because of that. Just like with EA.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html

Zuck said:
"Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," said Facebook founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerberg. "Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate."

The quote Zuck decided to go with on a press release.

Himse

FH is my second home
Note he does still say Play, he could just be trying to expand the use of the headset beyond just a games machine.. Much like all the consoles are trying to do.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The quote Zuck decided to go with on a press release.

And that surely means that oculus won't have good games on it and that it's going to be social only?

"Getting ready for the paltforms of tomorrow" while MS has a share in FB, there's a leap for you akin to yours.

It's all about the developers, just like with ios.

Poag

m00?
It's all about the developers, just like with ios.
If they decideto go like iOS then its all doomed. Apple with their acceptable app policies ;)

Facebook is a social media firm, if they were to launch into the games market, using their current games market setup...what sort of games would you expect.

Candy Crush Saga VR? Farmville Reality?

Do I blame them for making these games? No both of those games make more money that AAA blockbuster games. It all depend son if FB decide to make things open so people can develope for it. Or if they go closed like they do with FB.....

DaGaffer

If they decideto go like iOS then its all doomed. Apple with their acceptable app policies ;)

Facebook is a social media firm, if they were to launch into the games market, using their current games market setup...what sort of games would you expect.

Candy Crush Saga VR? Farmville Reality?

Do I blame them for making these games? No both of those games make more money that AAA blockbuster games. It all depend son if FB decide to make things open so people can develope for it. Or if they go closed like they do with FB.....

Facebook is a pretty open platform from a dev perspective because its in their interest, so no, I wouldn't expect Oculus to be a closed platform. On the other hand, I don't expect it to be primarily a gaming platform either, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. When I mentioned Snowcrash in an earlier post, I don't think I was actually that far off base...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Totes a hipster view on hipsters about hipsters...you mainstream slave to the system....

:(

I'm not really sure what a hipster is, but I bet Toht's picture is in the dictionary under the word. He does seem to love 'em. :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Again, ios isn't all bad. It's just hard to see the good since there's so much crap.

Xbox one went pretty much the social media center not a gaming console first route too, yet it's not doomed.

FB getting into Oculus is also a way for Oculus to become the household name for VR tech, which in itself brings even more devs into it. I'm guessing this is just a way for the Oculus folks to combat the upcoming steam/sony VR popularity, by making their device popular by FB network.

I'm not really sure what a hipster is, but I bet Toht's picture is in the dictionary under the word. He does seem to love 'em. :)

Well in this case i'm not against generally popular companies so, kinda defeats that argument ;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Before EA bought them? All the games i listed were EA published from the start.

And bringing up westwood when you ask for a 5 year reference yourself is lolworthy to say the least :p

And just because some company or such has made mistakes it must mean it's always going to be sh*t right?

What? No they weren't.

Crysis was made by crytek who made the original far cry. Ea bought them and now they make generic, boring shooters. Such as crysis.

Dragonage and mass effect were made by bioware who used to make good rpgs. Now they make generic, boring rpgs such as Dragonage and mass effect.

Dice released the first battlefield game. After which EA bought dice. Now battlefield is terrible. Boring DLC riddled bro shooter.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
From the quick reading I've done it sounds like Facebook want to be a gateway, so you'll plug in your Rift and immediately be greeted with the Facebook equivalent of SteamVR. That way before you run your game you walk through their adspace and their social options (and new things they've suggested like VR front row seats) are all nice and prominent so they're your first choice if you want to do some VR chatting.

I'm very interested to hear what Valve thinks of all this because I suspect they were planning on SteamVR occupying that space.

DaGaffer

Dice released the first battlefield game. After which EA bought dice. Now battlefield is terrible. Boring DLC riddled bro shooter.

EA commissioned Dice to release the first Battlefield game after Dice released Codename:Eagle. They also paid for Dice's acquisition of Trauma (Desert Combat mod) which ultimately gave us BF2.

As for modern versions of games like BF, sorry DLC exists for a very good reason; when every fucker pirates games, you have to come up with solutions to keep revenues up. EA is responding to the market, and to be fair, its also responding to what the market has shown it wants. If you want to point the finger at the evolution of BF into a consoley "bro shooter" point the finger at Modern Warfare, who's online modes depress the fuck out of me, but seem to be like crack for everyone else.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What? No they weren't.

Crysis, published by EA.
Mass effect 1 and dragon age 1, published by EA.
Battlefield, published by EA.

And farcry was published by ubisoft, which is getting similar backlash as EA.

Also, as a side note, if a game goes to sh*t(arguably battlefield for example), the majority of the blame falls on thedeveloper for either making those choices or letting the publisher dictate them.

DaGaffer

From the quick reading I've done it sounds like Facebook want to be a gateway, so you'll plug in your Rift and immediately be greeted with the Facebook equivalent of SteamVR.

So, Futurama's version of the internet then?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Lol, Notch (mineraft creator) tweeted something along the lines of "I was in talks with oculus about having minecraft working with it but I backed out of that deal when I seen that facebook bought it"

can't imagine gabe newell is happy about it either

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Crysis, published by EA.
Mass effect 1 and dragon age 1, published by EA.
Battlefield, published by EA.

And farcry was published by ubisoft, which is getting similar backlash as EA.

Also, as a side note, if a game goes to sh*t(arguably battlefield for example), the majority of the blame falls on thedeveloper for either making those choices or letting the publisher dictate them.

You're missing the point entirely. Those games are shite. They are made by companies that produced good games before they were bought by EA.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh so now you're talking about what the game companies did before EA and not about games that EA published in recent times, gotcha (y)

Not to mention that just because you don't like a game doesn't make it shite.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Er, that's what I said in the first post.... I have highlighted the obvious bit, just to save you typing page after page of waffle because you misunderstand/are incapable of understanding simple English.

That statement is true, except EA do only publish shit. Not only that but they hoover up interesting/talented companies and force them to also publish shit.

Good comparison.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And that comes back to "They haven't" since majority of gamers regard dragon age, mass effect, battlefield and need for speed as good games.

Hipster :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The majority of music fans think Justin Beiber and One Direction (According to sales) are good...doesn't mean they are...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
With that "comparison"; Aaanyway, have to come back to this thread when oculus actually gets rolling. I'm looking forward to saying "told you so" :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And that comes back to "They haven't" since majority of gamers regard dragon age, mass effect, battlefield and need for speed as good games.

That's because the "majority" of people also like x-factor, strictly come dancing, shitty dance music, McDonalds, <insert your own form of awful awful low-rent, low-IQ, loved-by-fucking-idiots trash here>.

EA didn't get it's reputation because it makes things better or acts in a way intelligent people like.

It makes games for the retard masses and exploits unthinking idiots who lack the basic educational level of understanding that their wallets dictate corporate action - i.e. the denial of cash to a company brings about better behviour from scummy companies.

You only have to play their games to understand that kids and retards fill the servers.

Raven is right. And "hipster" or not, you use the term so much you must desparately want to be one :p

Poag

m00?
SxrAa7Y.jpg

Hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom