Waste? Facebook have bought Oculus

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I find this rather odd. what is le Zuck up to?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Not surprised. Every startup in California has acquisition by one of the of the big five as their key strategic objective. Bit surprised its Facebook rather than MS or Google, but there you go.

*edit* I wonder if FB see VR as the next logical step in conferencing/chat rather than as a gaming device. Maybe Zuck is a Snowcrash fan...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have to also remember that FB isn't necessarily just about social network business business, hell disney just bought one of the largest youtube video producers(akin to machinima).

I'm guessing they made a good deal with the Oculus folks and it's hell of a lot better for them to fund it then sony/microsoft.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Maybe he sees that facebook is infact just a bubble, and it'll soon burst, and he could make a whole new company based on the Oculus Rift? - Perhaps a new console?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Makes the Oculus a whole lot less appealing.

Now Zuck will be data mining what you're watching, when you're watching it and where you're watching on the screen. Talk about targetted advertising. He'll know which way your head is pointed :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh look, VR just became shit again.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
"There's nothing like watching a hype train hit a brick wall at max speed"

Feel kinda bad for the kickstarter peeps if they now end up with a very expensive chat headset

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hopefully the Oculus guys will take the money and make another one

DaGaffer

Hopefully the Oculus guys will take the money and make another one

Acquisitions don't usually work like that. They'll probably have at least a two year earnout (probably three in this case) which means they work for FB if they want to get their money, and then there'll be a non-compete for several years after that (which is trickier legally, but its funny how people who've just been given a billion dollars don't want to get involved in legal disputes that might take it all away...)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No wonder the cynical brit is british, this thread is oozing with it :p

Not to mention if it indeed turns out to be sh*t because of FB(which is not given at all), it's the Oculus folks fault for being...oh say...EA money greedy f^*cks?

Which again goes to show that no matter how indie or "cool" some people seem;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyzFsYEdco

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't blame them at all and would do the same without question. It doesn't alter the fact it will probably take the tech in the wrong direction now though.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's the same kind of statement as "EA only publishes sh*t" though, which isn't true. It -can- go wrong and don't get me wrong i don't like FB at all, as a gamer, developer of games or a human, but still this seems more like a good buy which any company would die for.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That statement is true, except EA do only publish shit. Not only that but they hoover up interesting/talented companies and force them to also publish shit.

Good comparison.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I still have some faith that zukenburger is a geek under it all and might keep the dream alive

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Feel free to list a single good game in the last 5 years produced or published by EA., and by good I mean good, not mass produced dirge for the xbox generation.

While they have an excellent business model their games are dreadful. What has hipster got to do with it? Is it now hipster (or whatever) to appreciate quality?

Poag

m00?
Have to also remember that FB isn't necessarily just about social network business business, hell disney just bought one of the largest youtube video producers(akin to machinima).

I'm guessing they made a good deal with the Oculus folks and it's hell of a lot better for them to fund it then sony/microsoft.

Wait..what....Disney buying a Video channel is not "there own business" ? All these years I thought Disney you know...made videos.....movies but videos all the same. Bringing onboard a better youtube advertising/"behind the scenes" content channel is a fair no brainer imo.

Where as facebook buying Oculus is fairly far beyond the realms of normalility.

FB will turn the OR into a cheesey conference/chat tool. All semblance of gaming will be left behind for light weight, cheaper to make higher sales product. Sold to whiney teens in their droves so they can 'hang' with their friends...until the frst grooming of a child occurs and then it'll be dead.

No the best thing that could have happened to the OR would have been if MS or Sony had bought it. They would then have pushed it along with one of the two main consoles, making it a better gaming tool, rather than some cheesey chat channel.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sony are doing exactly that with their own VR headset so not all is lost. Unfortunately this does seem to be the end (for now at least) of PC VR

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What has hipster got to do with it? Is it now hipster (or whatever) to appreciate quality?

It's hipster to denounce people as hipsters if they hold a mainstream view, regardless of whether they've well-founded reasons to feel that way and whether they're the type who drive a bandwagon rather than jump on the back.

I also think it's a hipster thing to call people hipsters.

Poag

m00?
It's hipster to denounce people as hipsters if they hold a mainstream view, regardless of whether they've well-founded reasons to feel that way and whether they're the type who drive a bandwagon rather than jump on the back.

I also think it's a hipster thing to call people hipsters.
Totes a hipster view on hipsters about hipsters...you mainstream slave to the system....

DaGaffer

Feel free to list a single good game in the last 5 years produced or published by EA., and by good I mean good, not mass produced dirge for the xbox generation.

While they have an excellent business model their games are dreadful. What has hipster got to do with it? Is it now hipster (or whatever) to appreciate quality?

Titanfall. Next.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Mass effect, need for speed, battlefield. dragon age, crysis. To name the big ones and no matter what you personally think of them, they are good games. (and what DaGaffer just posted).

Bottom line and fact is; no one knows what FB buying means for Oculus, it's just cynical internet thinking to dismiss it straight away because of that. Just like with EA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom