European WoW servers to be run by french company

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Blizzard aims to establish a European-based team for its upcoming MMORPG World of Warcraft which will handle community relations, customer service and technical support, and manage the distribution and hosting of World of Warcraft on local European servers. Based in Franche, the team is working on text and voice localization--the game will be available in French and German, in addition to the English version, of course.

The developer is considering additional languages, but further details will not be revealed at the moment. Blizzard's next step is to release a beta version of World of Warcraft in Europe following the North American beta test.

Taken from GS daily

Trying to find full article link

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
That is... uh... interesting.
Doesn't mean anything really.

Kjel

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh God please don't say GOA... :touch:

Sigurd

Banned
If it's GOA I'll be hanging myself before I play euro WoW.

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
I will buy the US version if it is like with GOA that english speaking people have to wait for the french and german versions.
Or if the euro version is released any later than the US one.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Wern't GOA due to host Ryzom, now I read ...

February 2nd, 2004 : Nevrax chooses Jolt Online Gaming to provide online game server hosting in Europe and the US.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
yeah, but devs of Ryzom split up with GOA / Wanadoo :)

Darkzler

Fledgling Freddie
would be boring if it is the same thing with the patches on WoW like it is for us who play DAoC, i do not think france and germany deserve a own translation but if they so deeply want it i think the delay should only affect those two countries

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Roo Stercogburn said:
Translations lead to hate, hate leads to suffering...
suffering leads to the conservative party....

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Darkzler said:
would be boring if it is the same thing with the patches on WoW like it is for us who play DAoC, i do not think france and germany deserve a own translation but if they so deeply want it i think the delay should only affect those two countries

As if french and german were only spoken in these 2 countries ...

German is the first spoken language in Europe (Germany + Austria + Switzerland).
French is the second native language in Europe (France + 45 % of Belgium + Switzerland + Luxembourg) + North America (Canada (Quebec, BTW the largest french speaking city in the world (Montreal) is in Canada not in France ) + North Africa.

German + French speaking communauty = 70% of the european players ... (just look at the DAOC servers)

I don't think it will be the same thing as for DAOC servers since it seems it's Blizzard itself who handle the translation (with its european team). The official WoW website is already translated in French and German by Blizzard (http://www.blizzard.fr/wow_new/index.shtml). WoW is made to be translated (Korean). AC2 was also made to be translated and patch are released at the same time on french and german servers as on english servers. Moreover Blizzard has already translation teams since all their game are translated in French, German, Italian and Spanish.

Blood

Fledgling Freddie
If you pay a gamehost company outside EU, you have to pay extra taxes.

Darkzler

Fledgling Freddie
Okej you certainly made me go speachless but i still dont think we should suffer :D

Ferengi

Fledgling Freddie
And how many r able to speak and read english?... tbh there aint no reason why they shouldnt release the english versions 1st

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Ning said:
As if french and german were only spoken in these 2 countries ...

German is the first spoken language in Europe (Germany + Austria + Switzerland).
French is the second native language in Europe (France + 45 % of Belgium + Switzerland + Luxembourg) + North America (Canada (Quebec, BTW the largest french speaking city in the world (Montreal) is in Canada not in France ) + North Africa.

German + French speaking communauty = 70% of the european players ... (just look at the DAOC servers)

I don't think it will be the same thing as for DAOC servers since it seems it's Blizzard itself who handle the translation (with its european team). The official WoW website is already translated in French and German by Blizzard (http://www.blizzard.fr/wow_new/index.shtml). WoW is made to be translated (Korean). AC2 was also made to be translated and patch are released at the same time on french and german servers as on english servers. Moreover Blizzard has already translation teams since all their game are translated in French, German, Italian and Spanish.

Using the European servers as an example to highlight that there's more french / german speakers than english ones is slightly wrong, for the simple fact that the game has been heavily advertised in those 2 countries, and hardly not at all here in the UK.

The way it sounds from thier press release, it seems they are adapting the same route as Mythic / GOA have gone....

Esoteric

Fledgling Freddie
I disagree slightly here I believe that more people in europe speak english as a common language than any other.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Esoteric said:
I disagree slightly here I believe that more people in europe speak english as a common language than any other.

I think you are wrong actually. Only in west europe and scandinavia there are alot of people who speak a reasonable amount of english. In east european countries I would think that german is more common and in southern europe english isnt common at all.
But yes most people could manage them in english (managing like spanish players do on our servers). The other side is that possibly the countries who actually have people who can afford and want to game online (money+good internet connection) are off course more in the west, so again english might be the dominant language in europe for games.

pixie.pebr

Fledgling Freddie
Only reason for separate French and German servers is the two can't stand each other :m00:

(Can't see why that is bad in a PvP environment though ;))

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Esoteric said:

I was speaking about native languages. We also learn english in Germany and in France at school. But when you get out of school, you don't need this language since everything is translated (video games, films, etc). So you have only the basis of the language.

Only reason for separate French and German servers is the two can't stand each other

Actually, the only european DAOC forum where people speak about other nationalities is this one. When they are blaming GOA on the 2 main german forums, they never point the fact that GOA is french. French and german forums rarely speak about the english.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ning said:
French and german forums rarely speak about the english.

because u dont have to??

because are getting everything the english servers isnt getting?? like INGAME CSR???

XeffoInfil

Fledgling Freddie
i can imagine the smile on the GoA peoples faces and their evil snickering chuckles or whatever if they hear that theyre gonna handle WoW.

"We got em again :D"

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
because u dont have to??

because are getting everything the english servers isnt getting?? like INGAME CSR???

There isn't any ingame CSR
:eek2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom