European WoW servers to be run by french company

Skeggi

Fledgling Freddie
What's up with the anti-GOA additude? Name one company who's done it better? Most of the (even some connection problems and all) are Mythics fault.

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Krait said:
Are'nt Vivendi a french company anyway ?
:)

yeah they are

ah just read the rest of the post:
Ctuchik said:
because u dont have to??

because are getting everything the english servers isnt getting?? like INGAME CSR???

there are NO ingame CSRs on ANY servers. NONE. period. What people see is the actual GMs going around fixing problems (and you very rarely see them - only seen Zargar once myself). That does NOT mean there are official ingame CSRs.

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Imo there are good things with French and German servers. No offense to German / French ppl but they don't speak very good English, which leads to conflicts ingame.
Bad thing is if we get to wait get for patches to translate etc, as with DAoC.

And as someone said above, if GOA is hosting i'll most definatly be playing US servers.

Brannor McThife

Fledgling Freddie
Mwhahahahahahhahahaha

That would be priceless if it were GOA.
Hmm, maybe I should apply for a job again.

NOT!

-G

Nott

Fledgling Freddie
After I'm done playing daoc I doubt I'll be touching anything with a Goa sticker ever again. My two main gripes with Goa is their handling of the "chronicles/herald" and the lack of ingame csr.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not trying to upset any mod here or anything, but: WTF isn't this thread either moved to OT or deleted? :eek7:
I'll go have sum cheese now. :)
and who cares if Goa gets to host WoW? It will still be a donald duck comic! :p

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:
I'm not trying to upset any mod here or anything, but: WTF isn't this thread either moved to OT or deleted? :eek7:
I'll go have sum cheese now. :)
and who cares if Goa gets to host WoW? It will still be a donald duck comic! :p

How many ppl do you think play DAoC because they LOVE the graphics?
Compared to AO, which was already out when DAoC was realeased, DAoC gfx looked like shit. But the game it self was waay better.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Amelyn said:
How many ppl do you think play DAoC because they LOVE the graphics?
Compared to AO, which was already out when DAoC was realeased, DAoC gfx looked like shit. But the game it self was waay better.
Take a look at this article about PvP in WoW. firmens my believes that not only will it look like a Donald Duck comic, it will be one imo! :p

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:
sure... I want mmorpg... if I wanted a rts I'd go buy wc3 instead! :p

the way their PvP works is abit like BG, except that the fight might be bigger around the zone and that you might be able to beat a mindless zerg with half its force by playing smart.
But can only find out by playing it, but it sounds promising.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Taken from article to which I posted a link above:
Warcraft III meets Battlefield 1942
I don't really like either of those to games tbh...

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Like many level-headed people on this forum, I have no problem with GOA. Does the article actually say it's a seperate version? I was under the impression just the servers would be run by the French company (involving pressing the restart button once a day).

Lupaerian

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, I have yet to play a mmorpg that actually lives up to the name. I sure don't see a whole lot of roleplaying going on anywhere, but that's a completely different story :p

As for the article, I don't see anything anywhere indicating that it's gonna be RTS. It's not like you're sitting in a birds eye view mode commanding people around and setting up production queues at your barracks, which is what I think of when I hear RTS. You're still controlling your character the good old fashioned MMORPG way, possibly with some NPCs to fill in the ranks (most likely controlled like most "pets" are). The tactical feel they're talking about probably has something to do about controling certain key areas on the map etc., not how you're managing your units while keeping an eye on production and resource gathering.

All in all, it sounds more like DAOCs BG on stereoids to me. Fast paced... fun... and without the frustration of running into players who are either superior OR inferior (which can be just a boring). I also like the rock, paper scissors approach to balancing. While I still think the holy grail would be a system where all classes are balanced against each other, the RPS approach seems much more realistic. Realistic in the sense that nerfing class A to be balanced against class B won't trigger a need to nerf class C so that it's balanced against class A which ends up having to nerf class B... and then A... and C... until they're all so useless that they have to make a 10FG zerg just to kill one crippled rat :)

Anyway, if you still think it's a Donald Duck comic because of that, fine with me :D I still find myself reading Donald Duck comics every now and then at the age of 30, so they must have done something right :clap:

Lupaerian

Fledgling Freddie
Nightchill said:
Like many level-headed people on this forum, I have no problem with GOA. Does the article actually say it's a seperate version? I was under the impression just the servers would be run by the French company (involving pressing the restart button once a day).

Noooooo.... read my lips - no more daily restarts like EVE/SWG :eek6: :mad: :(

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:
Taken from article to which I posted a link above:

I don't really like either of those to games tbh...

WoW stands for World of Warcraft so off course it will be WCIII meets some other game, as the complete world of this game is based on the WC serie. However the way you play and what you do isnt anything like the WCIII and Battlefield is hardly RTS. Battlefield is a FPS with a bit more tactics involved than CS or quake, you can off course dislike this game though.

Btw DAoC was meant to be abit like how WoW pvp seems to be working imo. Taking keeps to get an advantage, only difference would be that in DAoC there is a level difference allowed and the getting back to the fight is longer (allthough they might change that with frontiers). Off course DAoC isnt like this and is more of a PvP than a RvR game at the moment (the fg/solo trend is bigger than the lets defeat realm x).

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
Ahhh more waitng for patches to be translated.. no thx.. Think I'll stay with daoc until the new Ultima is out..atleast they dont do crap like that..its if you cant read english then FO !!... just the way we like it.....

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Damon_D said:
Ahhh more waitng for patches to be translated.. no thx.. Think I'll stay with daoc until the new Ultima is out..atleast they dont do crap like that..its if you cant read english then FO !!... just the way we like it.....

why do you need fast patching? In DAoC you might need it, but it might be different in other games, besides FFXI runs in english+japanese and there isnt much problem with time between patches.
Besides that the biggest problem with patches is that we know they exist and what they exactly do, but we just dont have them yet. Doubt the americans are as jumpy as us to get patches, so aslong as they release the patches at the same time there shouldnt be much problems actually (certainly if they manage to run the translations fast).

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Ning said:
As if french and german were only spoken in these 2 countries ...

German is the first spoken language in Europe (Germany + Austria + Switzerland).
French is the second native language in Europe (France + 45 % of Belgium + Switzerland + Luxembourg) + North America (Canada (Quebec, BTW the largest french speaking city in the world (Montreal) is in Canada not in France ) + North Africa.

German + French speaking communauty = 70% of the european players ... (just look at the DAOC servers)

I don't think it will be the same thing as for DAOC servers since it seems it's Blizzard itself who handle the translation (with its european team). The official WoW website is already translated in French and German by Blizzard (http://www.blizzard.fr/wow_new/index.shtml). WoW is made to be translated (Korean). AC2 was also made to be translated and patch are released at the same time on french and german servers as on english servers. Moreover Blizzard has already translation teams since all their game are translated in French, German, Italian and Spanish.

so Norway/sweden/denmark/great britain/Finland and all the other asian countrys that doesnt understand a shit about dutch and french have to wait months before f.eks GOA have translated the "ENGLISH!" server to dutch and french before we english speaking people get our patch ? IMO patch the english server the same time they patch the US server imo! and let the french and dutch dudes suffer!

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Chosen said:
so Norway/sweden/denmark/great britain/Finland and all the other asian countrys that doesnt understand a shit about dutch and french have to wait months before f.eks GOA have translated the "ENGLISH!" server to dutch and french before we english speaking people get our patch ? IMO patch the english server the same time they patch the US server imo! and let the french and dutch dudes suffer!

since when do we have Dutch servers? :rolleyes:

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Chosen said:

1) koreans get to play in korean
2) translating might not have to take alot of time
3) no one said GOA has this contract, they are basing themself in France as its a convenient location to be in as european customer team
4) you meant german not dutch.
5) the wait between patches might not be so horrible even if they are farther apart than mythics. As long as the game runs well (without to many bugs), is balanced reasonable and there is enough to do, then there isnt that much need for patches every month.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
biggest gripe with GOA, Driwen, is that the latest version is available - but the english userbase can't use it until the french and germans have had their patch translated....

I'm pretty sure the french and germans wouldn't mind having the latest version instead of localised language....

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Do you think the Germans or French would happily wait 6 months for patches because it was being translated into English?
Would they hell as like. They would vote with there feet. As many on the English speaking servers seem to be of late :(

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Chosen said:
IMO patch the english server the same time they patch the US server imo! and let the french and dutch dudes suffer!

you do realise that the english speaking players would probably suffer more? Add the populations of the 5 German servers and 4 French ones to the population of the 2 English servers and what happens? That's right, just like beta you get the lovely "server is full message".

Not to mention the whines from all the english speaking players who wouldn't be able to understand a word that was being said due to being outnumbered 4:1 by non-english speaking players.

Good plan batman :clap:

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Ssera said:
you do realise that the english speaking players would probably suffer more? Add the populations of the 5 German servers and 4 French ones to the population of the 2 English servers and what happens? That's right, just like beta you get the lovely "server is full message".

Not to mention the whines from all the english speaking players who wouldn't be able to understand a word that was being said due to being outnumbered 4:1 by non-english speaking players.

Good plan batman :clap:

Hardly - scrap the french and german versions, and give them English servers and clients, and tag them French Speaking or german speaking

problem solved, and wahey, The english could play their 3rd realm on any server....

vng

Fledgling Freddie
Im dont really like this translation stuff either tbh, but ...

Since when is UK = Europe?

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
biggest gripe with GOA, Driwen, is that the latest version is available - but the english userbase can't use it until the french and germans have had their patch translated....

I'm pretty sure the french and germans wouldn't mind having the latest version instead of localised language....

accept that WoW will probably patch everything at the same time and that again we dont know that GOA has this job yet.
Some people dont speak english or not well enough to enjoy the game, so to target that market Blizzard uses translations, if the market is big enough to support enough translators to make sure the translating doesnt cost to much time, they will do it. But I really doubt that if Blizzard handles the translation will take up alot of time. However even if it does, as far as I see there wont be a difference in patching time with the WoW servers. So there wont be the problem that we have with GOA at the moment.

Silverhood when you force german/france players to go for english version, they might just stop playing and then you might be without a server as there are probably only 4 or 5 servers left. Which might not be enough to give GOA the profit they hope for, so rather stop.
Fact is that for GOA the people really paying(/using) for the translation are alot more than the ones who dont (we pay for them ofc, but dont use them). So they will never choose us over them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom