Europe and our future

X

Xtro

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
The bean counter has spoken.

Indeed.

Thanks blacky, I was hoping to get the perspective from someone on the mainland (besides Asmo, ta for that).

M

mr.Blacky

Another post, well it really depends on who is in charge of the Euro at the moment it is the president of the European Central Bank but France has been trying to get politicians in charge :( So at the moment the Euro is okay but I am not sure for the future.

Ah someone said that the UK is almost allone in following the rules. Another good boy in euro land is Holland, mainly because the government really believes in a unified Europe. What I think the best deal the UK has ever made considering EU is the agreement that it would get just as much money from the EU as it gives. I think most people can guess which country recieves the most and the ones paying the most.

M

Meatballs

I think I'd rather we where an offshore state of the US instead of being in some euroland crapola.

Personally I wouldn't mind using euros, convenient etc, but probably screw ourselves over if we joined now. Dont really like the idea of the centralised bank rates either.

M

mr.Blacky

Dont really like the idea of the centralised bank rates either.
Okay I'll bite :D what don't you like about it? If it is about the fact that all European countries have diverent economic period? then what about the diverence between the north of the uk and the south?

W

Will

Originally posted by mr.Blacky
Okay I'll bite :D what don't you like about it? If it is about the fact that all European countries have diverent economic period? then what about the diverence between the north of the uk and the south?
Or Shetland and SE England?;)

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by mr.Blacky

The difference between north and south of the UK isn't anywhere near difference between UK and the whole of the EU. N&S been there inter-working together for hundreds of years.

It's good to break things down into workable chunks, but the chunks have to be large enough to work etc. Plus I expect the north/south do suffer more for different economic decisions made by the government.

E

Embattle

The fact is that the UK isn't only isolated by a psychical barrier of 21 miles of water but also a psychological one too....one that not only includes the two World Wars but events after the Second World War such as things like BSE etc.

D

Deadmanwalking

Why not put up a large fence and cut ourselves off from the EU al together. As it happens we already rely heavily on Europe for many thing and vice versa. The single market simple made these and other things easier to acquire and in many cases cheaper. Not wanting to go that one step further is more about Britain being "Loyal" to the crown or just plain rascist in many ways :(

A

Ash!

Im Not arsed either way. Either we get screwed on direct or indirect stealth taxes from Brown or we screwed by some thief in brussels. Either way the cost of Beer or Wine isnt coming down.

A

Any

Originally posted by sharma
least i wouldnt have to change currencyy everytime i want to go somewhere nice and i dont really class the UK as "nice".

Are you insane? The UK is a beautiful country. Get out of your inner city slum and travel about a bit.

Back on topic: Im against it because of all the economic reasons allready posted.

But i think it will happen due to most of the population being stupid, all they think is 'we wont have to change our money when we go to Spain!!!' Its hardly a massive chore to change your money.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Any
Are you insane? The UK is a beautiful country. Get out of your inner city slum and travel about a bit.

Take a drive down the A166 one day to Brid. Lovely.

O

old.Fweddy

I think we should invade Europe and make Wij its leader. Or just ignore it.

Slightly more seriously, I was told once that countries like France and Germany have a culture of renting property rather than buying it like most people do here. Is that true?

W

Wij

Originally posted by old.Fweddy
I think we should invade Europe and make Wij its leader.

Thanks, you've earned the rank of propaganda minister in my empire...

E

Embattle

Originally posted by old.Fweddy

Slightly more seriously, I was told once that countries like France and Germany have a culture of renting property rather than buying it like most people do here. Is that true?

Actually I think this has changed in the UK IIRC, over the last 15 years renting has dropped considerably.

F

Furr

Originally posted by Xtro
Xenophobia asides, what do you actually think about it all Furr?

About europe? It wont work in its present form... Each country keeps wanting to out do each other. I hope the entry of the Eastern block countries will finnaly bring a breath of fresh air into the union. I wouldn't mind a European army or a continent wide economy that wouldn't suffer if the US took a downturn. But we have huge problems you see.

Firstly the French :| with they are the Primary Reason the Union is Bleeding money with their insistance on that damn CAP (common agricultural policy), what stupid percentage of the EU budget goes into that thing! and all because the french want to keep their little french farmers, growing stuff in their little farms.

Then there is the prospect of tax harmonisation! Now i certainly dont want to pay taxes that will be spent on building a new road in Poland, or paying for the old people throughout europe!

And Brussels in Undemocratic, bureaucratic and doesn't seem to do anything apart from introduce more and more laws and rules.

O

old.Fweddy

Originally posted by Embattle
Actually I think this has changed in the UK IIRC, over the last 15 years renting has dropped considerably.

That's kinda what I meant. If what I was told is true, in the UK the majority of people buy their own property and get large mortgages to do so, while in other countries renting is more popular meaning less people have large long term debts.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Furr
Then there is the prospect of tax harmonisation! Now i certainly dont want to pay taxes that will be spent on building a new road in Poland, or paying for the old people throughout europe!

Welcome to living in London, 65% of the tax I pay is spent outside of London, for me it makes no difference if it goes to Newcastle or Calais, except Calais is closer.

A single unified Europe would have a massive benefit militarywise. Currently every country tends to duplicate resourceswise and the number of aircraft carriers we can deploy is less than 6, add to that a transport system incabable of moving enough troops to where they are needed and it's obvious why we have to run to America when there are problems in Serbia or the Balkans.

Economically a single currency has a very strong future and to dismiss it due to differences is as stupid as arguing that the US shouldn't have a single currency due to the disparate nature of it's states.

Y

Yoni

Economically a single currency has a very strong future and to dismiss it due to differences is as stupid as arguing that the US shouldn't have a single currency due to the disparate nature of it's states. [/B]

[insert long and boring rant about state of US economy]

Apologies scooba but in my meager opinion looking to the US as to why economically and politically we should join Europe for me is a good example as to why we should stay well clear.

*Waits for inevitable flame*

W

wickedragon

U.S

Is it really necessary to make an alternative, power wise, to the U.S? They are flopping quite nicely on their own. And how they can be a international economic superpower is beyond my understanding. Wont they loose a whopping 3.250 billion $ this year?
The only reason I see the U.S as a superpower is that great ol' army of theirs and they're willingness to blow shiat up.
As for the EURO, please go with it. It will make travel into the EU so much easier. :)

P

PR.

I don't know about this year but last year the US made a profit meaning they had enough money to do everything they wanted (NASA, Defense, Public Services, etc etc) and still had money left over to offer tax rebates. The UK and other countries typically have to borrow money to make up a general short fall for services such as the NHS etc...

M

Meatballs

i dont think they did everything they wanted. they budgetted so they could do as much as possible without going into the red :eek:

D

Deadmanwalking

Re: U.S

Originally posted by wickedragon
As for the EURO, please go with it. It will make travel into the EU so much easier. :)

Originally posted by Any
But i think it will happen due to most of the population being stupid, all they think is 'we wont have to change our money when we go to Spain!!!' Its hardly a massive chore to change your money.

S

SoWat

Originally posted by Meatballs
i dont think they did everything they wanted. they budgetted so they could do as much as possible without going into the red :eek:

The US was heading for a surplus until Mr Bush entered the arena.

The total US deficit is expected to hit 300 billion dollars this year. That's a lot of $500 toilet seats for the military!

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by Y0ni
[insert long and boring rant about state of US economy]

Apologies scooba but in my meager opinion looking to the US as to why economically and politically we should join Europe for me is a good example as to why we should stay well clear.

*Waits for inevitable flame*

The current terrible state of the US economy is basically down to the post 9/11 regression and the military costs of the Afghanistan operation and Iraq.

My arguement for the single currency isn't really that it works for the US, but more that dismissing it due to the differences between the member states is akin to saying that the US should have Statewide currencies. The single currency is inevitable, the sooner we get involved the sooner we can start dictating policy.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
we can start dictating policy.

Erm...more like the sooner the French and Germans can start dictating policy.

Y

Yoni

Originally posted by Embattle
Erm...more like the sooner the French and Germans can start dictating policy.

Totally agree

W

Wij

Can we all agree that noone is allowed to say the single currency is inevitable.

1.) It isn't.
2.) How does that make it good or bad.

If you want a single currency tell us what good it will do us. If not tell us what harm it will do.

Simple rules for less confusion.

M

Meatballs

i hear they're going to drop the euro, and everyones going to take up the pound. tis inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom