EU Server Status Page

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Server status page is still on GOA's internal WIP server along with the customer service , credibility and honesty prototypes

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Server status page is still on GOA's internal WIP server along with the customer service , credibility and honesty prototypes

troll.jpg

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Short version: :iagree:

Long version:
I'm glad to see such nuansed discussions going on regarding GOA criticism. Although the discussion is a bit dated, I'd like to add a few words.

I don't believe in being defensive and dodging blame; it is contraproductive is growth is what one is seeking. This is something I strive to live by as a human being and it's something I try to bring into this role of representing GOA. I am, and we are, aware of the flaws we have as a corporate entity and there's lots of stuff we are striving to improve.

Neither I nor GOA mind being criticized, quite the opposite; it is something we welcome and cherish. So the question is not whether one is to criticize or not, but rather how it is done. When criticism is put forth, is it done so from a judging mind or from a discerning mind? Are things seen in a sobre and juste way, are the faults one is criticizing put in a reasonable perspective?

Bashing - as opposed to criticism - is so heavily burdened by negative emotions and preconceived views that make it difficult to discern what is born of a real concern and what is born of hate. This is why bashing - as opposed to criticism - will not make it into the feedback reports myself and my collegues compile and send up the GOA/Mythic hierarchy. This is not so due to an unwillingness to look in the mirror, but out of pragmatism: bashing has a low informational value.

When we see bashing in this light - that it has little real impact its subject - we see bashing for what it really is; an outlet of negative energy. There's nothing inherently wrong in this, but if we are to judge a means of letting out steam by it's effectiveness, bashing would score quite low in comparison with other methods. For me, jogging works wonders, for instance.

On to the real topic. I've been asking about the Realm WAR pages on a weekly basis but I just haven't got any new information on this. I'll include this in my feedback tomorrow and make sure to include my take on the signals this is sending to our players.

Cheers,
Magnus

I'm sorry it sounds like bashing based on "hatred", but well - it is more bashing based on historical performance. Two vastly different things indeed.

And instead of ignoring it because "low informational value" and "outlet of negative energy", then perhaps it is indeed a time to look into the mirror and wonder how to turn this negative image of the company around. GOA have the reputation they have for a reason.

But I guess it is easy to just label it hatred because that implies the person delivering it is irrational and emotional. And that implies no fault on the other part. Sorry - but it is a cop out.

After all - all that is asked is the site and services we have been promised several times and which the official site says we'll get last month (yes, once again your FAQ is wrong), and to be frank - a web site showing stats and server status is minimal compared to so many other tasks one could think up.

As I've said often - just put up the the XML feed or a web service with these data, to the community and I'll guarantee you that we'll have the first site up within days. Unless, it is the XML feed which is the problem which would indicate it is either Mythic which is messing up, or that the server versions aren't the same on this side of the pond.

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not sure it's worth asking about these things anymore, it's weeks since we were first told 'later this week' and it's just a website.

Jess

Loyal Freddie
I think that GOA immensely underestimate the importance of the WEB 'fluff'.
It might seem like fluff ... and maybe it is .. But for me who doesnt log in every night - it would be nice if i could follow the progression of my friends through a web page, check my own status (in case I forgot), check if my server is running - how many are online and so on ...

On a slightly different note:
Im also baffeled why the MMORPGs still havent included a chat client which integrates with the game world -so that you 'offline' could chat with your friends which are ingame.
Such an option would ensure that the addiction would last longer Im sure -hence more revenues for the company.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
It might seem like fluff ... and maybe it is .. But for me who doesnt log in every night - it would be nice if i could follow the progression of my friends through a web page, check my own status (in case I forgot), check if my server is running - how many are online and so on ...
<snip>

I doubt they could underestimate that seeing as how large the desire and problems were in DAoC.
I unfortunately think the problem lies elsewhere.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
Wot Xandax said about the XML files. I would be satisfied with just the XML files so I can have a go at parsing for websites as a cool and useful (for my guild at least) learning thing.

Belsameth

Tainted
On a slightly different note:
Im also baffeled why the MMORPGs still havent included a chat client which integrates with the game world -so that you 'offline' could chat with your friends which are ingame.
Such an option would ensure that the addiction would last longer Im sure -hence more revenues for the company.

Anarchy Online had that.
I spend quite a few unproductive working hours helping newbs through it. :D

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Ermmm.... like.... WTF????

Why don't you just log in and ask them??????????????????????????????

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wot Xandax said about the XML files. I would be satisfied with just the XML files so I can have a go at parsing for websites as a cool and useful (for my guild at least) learning thing.

Agreed... the XML availability would definitely help.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Well said Carlos, although you will now be called a fanboi by some..

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I'm sorry it sounds like bashing based on "hatred", but well - it is more bashing based on historical performance. Two vastly different things indeed.

I agree. Historically GoA hasn't been good at listening to it's customers. Looking back at DAoC for example, the broken XML and the flash site which many people really didn't like are prime examples. Nothing seems to have been done about these things at all. In fact War was launched in europe with another flash based site, indicating previous concerns weren't taken into consideration.

It is hardly suprising then, that when services like XML aren't ready at launch people will have a "Here we go again" attitude. Like any written media, threads on forums like this can be open to interpretation. What is a genuine request or question, will often be percieved in negative way, simply because they are phrased poorly and because of preconcieved ideas about previous instances where the community wasn't listened to in the way it perhaps should have been. I would say that most "GoA Bashing" threads are useful to the company, as long as GoA are willing to listen, react and respond to sensible critique.

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
I agree. Historically GoA hasn't been good at listening to it's customers.

There's nothing historic about it. They continue the fashion today.
A whisper I heard, was that GOA were far from first choice to host EU warhammer. Shame no one else would take the job on.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
There's nothing historic about it. They continue the fashion today.
A whisper I heard, was that GOA were far from first choice to host EU warhammer. Shame no one else would take the job on.

pity the company i work for could most likely do it, we host some of the other EA gaming platforms....

:m00:

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Good day!
In response to basing vs. critique.

You're putting forth warranted critique in a civilized manner, hence I wouldn't consider it as bashing.

And instead of ignoring it because "low informational value" and "outlet of negative energy", then perhaps it is indeed a time to look into the mirror and wonder how to turn this negative image of the company around. GOA have the reputation they have for a reason.

But I guess it is easy to just label it hatred because that implies the person delivering it is irrational and emotional. And that implies no fault on the other part. Sorry - but it is a cop out.
Oh we're well aware that the reputation we've among groups of our players is very much self-inflicted. Discerning between bashing and criticizing is not an excuse to ignore critique or label it as invalid. Rather, it is an effort to find the "good stuff" - the critique which is insightful, constructive. In my post, I made an effort to show that both on a personal and professional level, I'm looking myself in the mirror here and I see this happening more and more within the company. We are in a process of self-assessment and we are striving to change things which we're not happy with. This very much include being open to the critique of our players.

I agree. Historically GoA hasn't been good at listening to it's customers. Looking back at DAoC for example, the broken XML and the flash site which many people really didn't like are prime examples. Nothing seems to have been done about these things at all. In fact War was launched in europe with another flash based site, indicating previous concerns weren't taken into consideration.
I agree, and this is something we're trying to change.

It is hardly suprising then, that when services like XML aren't ready at launch people will have a "Here we go again" attitude. Like any written media, threads on forums like this can be open to interpretation. What is a genuine request or question, will often be percieved in negative way, simply because they are phrased poorly and because of preconcieved ideas about previous instances where the community wasn't listened to in the way it perhaps should have been. I would say that most "GoA Bashing" threads are useful to the company, as long as GoA are willing to listen, react and respond to sensible critique.
Oh absolutely; it is easy to misinterpret and read in negativity where none was intended. Heck, that's why smileys were invented! I can honestly say that I'm not quick to judge and I personally find that a discerning awareness is much more useful and creative. Even the cries from the depths of frustration has a message to convey and I try to see that message - it's just not very useful in feedback reports.

Cheers,
-Magnus

Nate

FH is my second home
Could you give us an example where you are/you have been trying to change our view that you don't listen to us Magnus?

I've been ranting and raving on about getting rid of the Flash site since Closed Beta began, I don't feel I've been listened to and I'm sure the other testers that posted their opinions don't either.

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
I've been ranting and raving on about getting rid of the Flash site since Closed Beta began, I don't feel I've been listened to and I'm sure the other testers that posted their opinions don't either.

Changing that prolly isn't really that easy. Takes time/money to hire people or learn new technology to people, then to write the whole concept, implement all the data in different languages,...

All of that could have been done by now, granted if they hadn't to work with the game's content and solve loads of problems.

In ur defense however, I'd like them to consider what the priorities are of the public and work on at least a few of them (aka shine a light on it that ur working on it). A bit of marketing towards already paying customers, and a way to shut some critics up (I hate repetitive twolls, not pointed towards u but smth towards the general trend on the boards). The hotfixes gave a good feeling towards feedback being answered.

Nate

FH is my second home
Changing that prolly isn't really that easy. Takes time/money to hire people or learn new technology to people, then to write the whole concept, implement all the data in different languages,...

All of that could have been done by now, granted if they hadn't to work with the game's content and solve loads of problems.
If I'm honest, I don't accept that because they had to fix issues with the game the guy they employ as the web-master of GOA's sites didn't have time to re-work the site. I doubt other then sending feedback to Mythic, GOA had anything to do other then translate for localisation on that side of things. They aren't the one that made the game and aren't the ones that mess around with code. I'm beginning to think GOA have one person doing the whole companies web-sites, and that he can only work in Flash.

However I welcome and thank you for your constructive post.
In ur defense however, I'd like them to consider what the priorities are of the public and work on at least a few of them (aka shine a light on it that ur working on it). A bit of marketing towards already paying customers, and a way to shut some critics up (I hate repetitive twolls, not pointed towards u but smth towards the general trend on the boards). The hotfixes gave a good feeling towards feedback being answered.
The WAR Europe Updates is a start for that sort of thing, it should be on the site however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom