Equilibrium

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by old.ignus
I even saw a written review of tron saying it was inspired by the matrix ffs how can that be possible.

Time travel?

S

Sawtooth

I rarely walk out on a film. Equilibrium however is one film where I walked. The sub Orwellian plot with poor matrix style clothing set peices etc just had me yawning. It made me realise just how good the Wackowski Bros are. Roll on May.

T

tris-

maybe this has been said but it didnt make sense really - that drug is supposed to stop feelings but then the person would not have feelings to be scared of incineration so why did they keep taking it, they wouldnt be scared if they had no feelings.

:puke:

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Just saw it.

Nice idea, but too many plot holes.

And I agree.

Matrix rip-off.

B

bodhi

I'm downloading this film now. If it turns out to be the Matrix without all the oh-so-boring bits between the action it shall be good.

N

nath

Man, without Keanu attempting to act, what's the point?

At one point in the film (matrix), when he realise what the oracle has said is coming true, I could SWEAR he was using Joey Tribiani's patented smell the fart method.

L

leggy

It is nothing like the matrix tbh.

OMG SMART FIGHT SCENE !! LOLOL MATRIX CLONE!

L

Lester

Originally posted by Sar
Retards with keyboards are sometimes the best entertainment known to man.

Heh

heheh

Hehehehehehehehe

N

nath

Originally posted by leggy
It is nothing like the matrix tbh.

OMG SMART FIGHT SCENE !! LOLOL MATRIX CLONE!

oh please.

Fascist society where no one is free. One man who is mega hard takes on the lot of them with guns and kung fu. The clothes he wears are identical to that of neo in reloaded. Honestly. *tut*

O

old.I_Am_Glen

a nice tuch in film that i leiked wos at beginin. went dark 4 quite long time. thout was quite unike :))

o an the cleric was way to pwn. in matrix atleest he loses a bit, in this its jus pwn all the way.. american blokbuster shii :///

roll on reloaded, its gona pwn all

N

nath

Unique would suggest one of a kind. Except that it's not really, because Kubrick did that in 2001.. the screen just goes blank for a few minutes half way through.

But how is neo gunna lose a bit in reloaded? He is the one! etc.

L

Lester

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep bip bip bip bip...

This thread has been revived!!!

I saw this film last night. And the verdict is - MATRIX RIP-OFF!!(the music for the fight scenes was almost identical too) Its so was. And plot holes??? And to add another clear influence - Demolion Man - what with "Father" and all.

Yes the fight scenes were slightly cool but way over the top.

O.K. if pissed. I was gonna ask a couple of friends over to watch it. I'm so glad I didn't, my credibility (such as it is) would have taken another knock (still recovering from 8 legged freaks - Donnie Darko still keeps me ahead of the game tho)

D

dysfunction

Only just watched this film. And I enjoyed it. I found all the actors played their roles very well. And I'm glad to say Brian Connoly was hardly noticible which was good!

It reminded me a little like Pleasantville where everyone is in black and white and then find colour when they become passionate...

I loved the fight scenes and they may well have been inspired by matrix but it did have some originality to it. Not a complete clone.

D

Damini

I watched this film, and I rated it as utter tripe. So fucking tired of Christian Bale's dodgy american accent and emotionally retarded characters (yes, I know that was what the role required, but he makes it seem more constipated than anything else). Christian Bale can be a very good actor, but when he's playing "cool americans" then he blows. The plot was so flimsy that it felt like something a female RnB singer would wear it to an award ceremony. Sean Bean was a total waste of a fine actor, and it just annoyed me.

And then I got drunk, and watched it on fast forward, only stopping to see the fight scenes, and it was a wicked film. Just be careful not to catch any dialogue/plot, and you'll really enjoy it.

C

Ch3tan

This film is fucking fantastic.

No its not a Matrix rip-off. Its a wierd mix of 1984 and Dark City if anything. The action scenes are good, and Bale fits his role perfectly.

It seems from the response here that your either going to love it or hate it, oh well. I suppose it depends entirely on wether you see Matrix as a benchmark or not.

W

Wij

I want an action film for chrimbo. I think I'll order this for someone to buy me :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by nath
The clothes he wears are identical to that of neo in reloaded.
Even tho Equilibrium came out before reloaded :eek7:

:p

oh I dunno, it was an ok film, nothing fantastic but watchable even if very corny, better than the last 2 Matrix offerings

C

caLLous

Stacks better than Reloaded, on a par with Revolutions. I really enjoyed Equilibrium, the gunkata scenes were amazing, and they didn't slow it down once. Pretty much all of the fighting is done in real time. And it doesn't take anything from it at all.

S

Stazbumpa

At last me and leggy agree on something. Equilibrium is the badgers nadgers of a film, and it has nothing to do with The Matrix. The Matrix may be one of the most important sci-fi films of recents years but I fail to see the connection between it and Eq.

Don't see Neo doing a gun kata.
Akimbo pistols blazing away has been done for donkeys years in the Hong Kong movies.
I dont recall any wire fighting in Eq, which Matrix nicked from centuries old Chinese theatre anyway.
Didn't even see much unarmed combat chop socky stylee in Eq either.

I love the comment about it being influenced by Demolition Man.
Demolition Man?
Say that again, but try not to laugh this time, ok?
Do me a favour, it borrows heavily from 1984, thats clear, but the whole Father idea seems to me to be more akin to Nazi Germany than anything else.

Just because someone wears black and there are some good gun fights, why the hell does everybody think that its a Matrix rip off?
If so, where are the tons of slo-mo? Where are the prophesies to be fulfilled? Where are the sodding robots? Where is the malevolent AI trying to control humanity? Where is the heroes confusion between reality and unreality?

Somebody show me the similarities between this film and the Matrix, I'm begging you, coz I gotta be missing something. I think the main reason for the confusion is because some wanker wrote "If you loved the Matrix, you'll love this" on the display case. Anyway, this film is great and it was totally different to watching the Matrix, end of story.

C

Ch3tan

And where in the Matrix do you get Samurai swords slicing a face off?

Best moment of the film above btw, after so much tension and build up. slice.

X

xane

No disrespect to Damini but I've noticed every film she hates I tend to enjoy, to me she's a sort of modern Barry Norman who looks better in a dress, and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, so that's next weeks "film night" sorted out :)

Originally I thought "Matrix rip-off", but the comments here have made me think again.

L

leggy

Apart from the fighting style it cannot be classed as a matrix rip-off.

for the record. It's a bloody good action film.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by xane
she's a sort of modern Barry Norman who looks better in a dress

you've seen Barry Norman in a dress? ooh err :eek6:

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Ch3tan
And where in the Matrix do you get Samurai swords slicing a face off?

Best moment of the film above btw, after so much tension and build up. slice.

I didnt think he had actually done that...then a few moments later

1tchy trigger

Gr8 film m8

*King of the Clown Shoe Clan*

1tchy trigger

Indeed
leathershoes_tiny.gif

T

Trem

Jesters shoes are what your feet look like as you are about to cum.

R

Rekin

Equilibrium is an awesome film. While watching it it reminded my much more of Logan's Run that the Matrix in all honesty. In fact apart from the odd fight scene which was kinda Matrix-y ish, I can't say I noticed anythiing ripped straight from the matrix at all.

Oh wait, the lead actor wears a long black coat. Well it must be a Matrix rip off then!

Users who are viewing this thread