PC Master Race Entry level GFX card

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My old man wants to upgrade to Windows 10 and the upgrade checker is throwing issues about his graphics card. He's wanted to upgrade it for a few years (it has PCIe) and was asking me about a basic replacement card - no games required, but solid Windows / Photoshop performance is ideal. It's going to be connected to a 24" HP monitor. I haven't checked what mobo, but fairly certain there will be no PCIe power leads off the PSU (an older 500w affair) - can confirm if required.

Budget is in the £50 to £75 region and I was looking at:

MSI GT 730 4GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Or perhaps go for a 2GB "silent" version if the above is overkill:

Asus GT 730 Silent 2GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Any recommendations or thoughts?

Syri

FH is my second home
For those uses, I'd say the 2gb silent one is a good bet. The video memory only really comes into it with gaming, programs like photoshop will rely more on system ram, so 2gb should be fine for that, and the fans on those cards are usually tiny and loud, not always but often, so a fanless one will be far less annoying in that respect.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My old man wants to upgrade to Windows 10 and the upgrade checker is throwing issues about his graphics card. He's wanted to upgrade it for a few years (it has PCIe) and was asking me about a basic replacement card - no games required, but solid Windows / Photoshop performance is ideal. It's going to be connected to a 24" HP monitor. I haven't checked what mobo, but fairly certain there will be no PCIe power leads off the PSU (an older 500w affair) - can confirm if required.

Budget is in the £50 to £75 region and I was looking at:

MSI GT 730 4GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Or perhaps go for a 2GB "silent" version if the above is overkill:

Asus GT 730 Silent 2GB DDR3 VGA DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Any recommendations or thoughts?

I bought similar to the second one for a media centre, does the job for TV, browsing etc.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit, mine is a couple of gens older so that one should be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom