england - france

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Bodhi said:
I was tempted to stick a French flag on my car before the tourny, simply cos I find those England flags attached to cars deeply deeply annoying.

Which would have given you the lifespan of a diseased mayfly. If you don't like the St. Georges cross or people showing a bit of national pride, go to another country.

As for your earlier comments..... Well, let's just say that I've never found casual racism, or 'cultural stereotyping' as it's now politely called, all that impressive. The great shame is that football, more than any other sport, seems to make this sort of rubbish ooze from the pores of the most reasonable people.

Football rivallry is a good thing, insults and stereotypes based on nationality are not.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
England flags on cars: Makes avoiding casual racists and simpletons easier.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Swift^ said:

I've seen that web-site too, but it is a point worth dealing with.

Simpletons? A tad harsh perhaps. Personally, I wouldn't display a flag on my car. Not because of what it is, you understand, but because I think it looks a bit well.... corny.

However, the only people who link the english flag with racism are the BNP and other far-right nationalists. I find it a real shame that people should see the St. George cross as being linked in any way with such scum. And even more of a shame that anyone wearing or displaying one should be lumped along with them.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Gurnox said:
Would have been more impressive if you had thought it up for youself, but it is a point worth dealing with.

Here's 30p. Phone someone that cares.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I completely agree with Gurnox. My brother has an England flag on his car and to say that that automatically makes him a simpleton or a racist is fucking stupid.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Hey, if you display the St Georges Cross you must be racist!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I take it you haven't seen one blown off yet?

As a driver you cannot condone it. They're made of flimsy cheap plastic and come loose all the time. Now, imagine driving down a motorway, at 70mph and then, from the car in front comes flying a flag, landing in your windscreen? It's fucking ridiculous: we all know not to drop ANYTHING on the motorway because it's likely to cause a fatal accident. The police are fining people up to 2,500 due to falling off flags. It is not safe. Anything that can just 'fall' off a car should not be legal.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
So, Swift, what is it ... racist or a sign of a bad driver? Back pedalling, much?

I happen to think its a bit tacky, but if people want to show their support of their national team then more power to them. Better a flag on their car than a boozy punch up imo.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's not the sign of a bad driver.

It's the sign of a stupid driver. I.E. A simpleton.

Not backpeddling anywhere, just your inability to understand basic English.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
What? A flag on a car is the sign of a stupid driver? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read if you don't mind me saying.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I saw a stupid racist the other day, and he didn't have a flag on his car!

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Swift^ said:

I understand English very well thanks. I think you should re-read what you wrote. Oh and I'd also like to know how one spots a 'serious' racist, if only casual ones have flags on their cars :m00:

Best way of spotting a simpleton is their moronic posts on Freddyshouse that they then spend the next day or so backtracking on. Muppet.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Turamber said:
I understand English very well thanks. I think you should re-read what you wrote. Oh and I'd also like to know how one spots a 'serious' racist, if only casual ones have flags on their cars :m00:

Best way of spotting a simpleton is their moronic posts on Freddyshouse that they then spend the next day or so backtracking on. Muppet.

I think you need to appropriate yourself with a clue young man, Swift was saying that people who put their flags on cars are moronic simpletons BECAUSE they are endangering other traffic. I think if you do not already have one, you should strap two flags to your car, cos face it, you're more retarded than two moronic simpletons ever could be. Anyway, moron-slapping aside.......

Gurnox, you mention one or two amusing things in your post.

1) I'd last 5 seconds if I attached a Tricolore to my car. I find that very hard to believe, because one of the beauties of a car if you can drive away from people, or if necessary, over. It seems to be O.K in Portugal anyway.

2) IF you think my comments are going on racial stereotypes, I think you're sadly mistaken, you're ever so slightly wrong. Every country i've visited have commented on the English, in fact, as soon you tell them you're Scottish, they're normally all to happy about exactly the same things. This is in the U.K. and all over Europe. Makes you wonder if they're stereotypes or the way the English are.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Excuse me, I don't suppose there's any chance of talking about football?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Thanks Mr Scottish-Italian ;) I'm still waiting to hear how having a flag on one's car makes one a "casual racist". Utter tripe of the highest degree, no wonder you two get on so well.

As for the English being hated in every country ... also utter tosh. I dislike the lager louts who get our country a bad name, but they exist in other countries too. The kind of people who can't hold a drink and have no idea how to behave in other countries.

I've found that the English are generally very well thought of abroad - particularly in countries that British soldiers helped to defend and liberate in WW2.

The recent top 50 World Cup moments on Channel 4 showed something that I particularly like about the English psyche - their fairness. In the top 10 we have Maradonna's hand of god goal, but at number one we voted for his superlative goal in the same game.

Sure as a country we have had our bad moments, and some loutish people I'd rather not share a nationality with, but overall this is a great country and a bastion of freedom and free speech.

If people want to get excited about their country and it's chances in a football tournament then good luck to them and show that by waving a flag, then more power to them.

Otto

Fledgling Freddie
Why is everyone so angry ?

You still got 2 games to play, if you lose you can always get a rematch in 2006 :D

Anyway, GO SWEDEN GO!!!!!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Some people can't take light hearted comments it seems, and it's funny!
He's the one steaming in anger and fake superiority because he think I'm 'backtracking'.
He still has a lot to learn it seems.
Still, he is new.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I'm still waiting to hear how somebody having an England flag in their possession is a "casual racist". That doesn't make me angry, but it does make you a complete knob ;)

More seriously there is no such thing as "casual" racism, somebody is either a racist or they are not. Having some semblance of national pride isn't racism, and neither is it something bad or something to be ashamed of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom