Games Elite Dangerous (Remake)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
David Braben has the charisma of a rock, doesn't he?

But I'd like to see a new Elite. Hopefully they'll release a new Kempston joystick to go with it :)

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
David Braben has the charisma of a rock, doesn't he?

He could be the biggest cunt on the planet for all I care as long as it means we get the Elite we all want and deserve :)

rynnor

Rockhound
<doubts the project will actually complete and ship anything>

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Would be nice! Don't really know why it needs a start up thingy though, surely a remake would attract enough cash from within the industry. So long as the likes of EA don't get hold of it, it could be good.

Nate

FH is my second home
Is that the a big amount for Kickstarter or are they usually that high? Never really sure of these kickstarter things, seems a bit dodgy to me.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Nowhere near enough to make a game, it's a proof of interest that all.

Nate

FH is my second home
Indie games are made for hardly anything though I thought?

Zarjazz

Don't really know why it needs a start up thingy though, surely a remake would attract enough cash from within the industry.

Well in his interview he says it's very hard to get money from the banks / industry at the moment and yes, it's also partly a proof in interest thing. Though as of typing this it's already upto £125K, which is a LOT of interest in such a short period.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I was having a skim through, a lot of the larger, limited donations are already taken. Tempted to chuck a tenner at it.

itcheh

Part of the furniture
I've been watching this all day - they're getting about £10k in pledges per hour at the moment. Almost at the 20% of total mark.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm having trouble believing that the 5x £5000 slots are already gone!
I can see myself pledging at the £40 tier when I get paid.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
amiga24.png

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
well, I know what I'll be doing that summer :D

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
kickstarter is the new lottery .. tbh i seen kickstarter after kickstarter and still no games ..

i seen some go to the wall ..

Its investing in nostalgia and vaporware ... to be presented with elite today would really be as great as elite 20+ years ago ?

rynnor

Rockhound
I guess it shows there are still plenty of suckers with money.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They're up front about the fact that a lot won't make it. It's simply putting the development risks on the consumer.

The upside of it is that we should get games that we're interested in - rather than even more shitty Call of Duty clones.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
kickstarter is the new lottery .. tbh i seen kickstarter after kickstarter and still no games ..

Plenty of indie games has been released. The high budget games are still being developed.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I was watching as it crossed the £1.25million threshold.
As someone said earlier, this game was going to be made anyway. All the Frontier team are doing is guaranteeing their development budget and knowing how many people are ready to jump on board from the outset.

I'll be the one in an Eagle mk.II in an Imperial system when the game starts in Spring 2014. :)

Zarjazz

Yes it's good news but reading about everything they want to do, £1.25m doesn't sound like a lot of money compared to other large titles, especially the multi-player side. And all that talk about "procedural generation to reduce costs" is just bollox.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I don't think it's bollox.
Dave Braben used procedural generation with Elite and Frontier to generate the names, locations and markets for all the worlds. 256 systems in each galaxy with 8 galaxies all from PG.

This video shows Dave talking about PG in relation to Elite.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk

I've been watching another game called Infinity which has been in development for a couple of years. The devs have been talking about many of the same things that Frontier have been talking about with Elite, including the use of PG to create realistic worlds and environments. They were talking about trying to get Kickstarter funding this year, but I think Elite:Dangerous have pulled the legs from under them. Their best bet now would be to contact Frontier and offer their knowledge and expertise to join the dev team.
http://www.infinity-universe.com

Zarjazz

I understand what PG does, I meant bollox in the fact a similar game from other developers would cost at least 10 times that figure. I have a hard time believing it's such a cost saver. Anyway, taking off the rosy-shades-of-nostalgia the Frontier sequels were pretty shit / boring and they used PG and realistic physics a lot.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I understand what PG does, I meant bollox in the fact a similar game from other developers would cost at least 10 times that figure. I have a hard time believing it's such a cost saver. Anyway, taking off the rosy-shades-of-nostalgia the Frontier sequels were pretty shit / boring and they used PG and realistic physics a lot.
Isn't that the same as saying, oh, Braben coded a universe in 32k, noone can do that, let's make it a minimum of 64meg etc. He could code a game in a fucking nut, perhaps he can pay the same in wages/costs?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You don't need a lot of money to create a good game. Look at Minecraft, or Amnesia. What made Elite great was its ability to make you use your imagination. When I was docking at a space station, the Blue Danube was playing in my head and the station was shiny metal, not white lines.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
what Tom said tbh. exactly the same with me.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Isn't that the same as saying, oh, Braben coded a universe in 32k, noone can do that, let's make it a minimum of 64meg etc. He could code a game in a fucking nut, perhaps he can pay the same in wages/costs?
This is exactly the sort of thing I want to see more of.
Too many coders/developers spend a lot of time on getting the look and polish of their software. Not enough developers work on writing tight code that does a lot of stuff in a small file size. Squeezing in over 2000 worlds in 8 galaxies in less than 32k, including graphic generation, sound and game physics is a testament to 1984's assembler coding.

One of my all-time favourite 64k demos was fr-08, .the.product
http://scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/farb-rausch/fr08_final.zip&fileinfo

Take a look at the 64k demo candidates for last year's Scene.org awards.
http://awards.scene.org/awards.php?year=2011&cat=9
Now THAT is tight coding.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This is exactly the sort of thing I want to see more of.
Too many coders/developers spend a lot of time on getting the look and polish of their software. Not enough developers work on writing tight code that does a lot of stuff in a small file size. Squeezing in over 2000 worlds in 8 galaxies in less than 32k, including graphic generation, sound and game physics is a testament to 1984's assembler coding.

One of my all-time favourite 64k demos was fr-08, .the.product
http://scene.org/file.php?file=/demos/groups/farb-rausch/fr08_final.zip&fileinfo

Take a look at the 64k demo candidates for last year's Scene.org awards.
http://awards.scene.org/awards.php?year=2011&cat=9
Now THAT is tight coding.
Do not get me wrong, today's developers have a fucking long way to go. Oh, I need 500gig of RAM, sorted. Fucking wankers. I worked at DirectLine and our IT director at the time had enough of "developers" taking the piss, he stopped the yearly hardware upgrades.... Saved a fucking fortune when the developers recoded their shit code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom