News Egyption and Yemeni riots

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No! Reaally? I'm sure the Moslem Brotherhood will see the error of their silly Islamic ways in the light of your dazzling insight and just pack the whole thing in. I can see the conversation now; "look lads, some keyboard monkey in the UK has pointed out we shouldn't mix religion and politics. He's right of course, lets put aside our integrated political-religious-legal belief system, and go down the pub. What the fuck were we thinking?"

Did you actually read what I posted?

Go and get laid or something, you are coming over all angry for no particular reason.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
To be fair to DaGaffer, in the Muslim Faith, religion and politics are one in the same and have worked pretty well together for nearly two millenia. Sure it may seem outdated by western standards, but when you have a religion, a faith and a code of laws that have worked for you and your ancestors for that long, is it any wonder that there are those who are less than willing to give those legal and political systems up in spite of their faith?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
To be fair to DaGaffer, in the Muslim Faith, religion and politics are one in the same and have worked pretty well together for nearly two millenia. Sure it may seem outdated by western standards, but when you have a religion, a faith and a code of laws that have worked for you and your ancestors for that long, is it any wonder that there are those who are less than willing to give those legal and political systems up in spite of their faith?

All you have to do is to imagine some alien race coming along, telling us that our backward politics and ruling systems are outdated and that they bring with them the stellarism of the stars(which is ofcourse the best kind of ruling system) and see how many "pro-demoracy" guys you'll have against them ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Did you actually read what I posted?

Go and get laid or something, you are coming over all angry for no particular reason.

People posting fatuous bollocks with no understanding of...anything, makes me angry. And yes, I read exactly what you posted.

I come from a western pluralist tradition and have no truck with religious involvement in politics, but I'm not Egyptian, and neither are you.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Great that you never actually comment on anything posted, just say "you know nothing" and vanish in the air like a dakr knight version for the lol noob faction :p

Helme

Resident Freddy
He's right though, we're not Egyptians so we should have no fucking hand in choosing what kind of government they want. I know it might be inconvenient for the western world if an Islamic government got power but if the people are happy, who the fuck are we to judge? It's not like Democracy is all that good, one could argue that at least an Islamic government is exactly what it says on the label, while ours are at best a polyarchies.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's why I said if they vote for them its their problem. >>>I<<< however think its stupid to base political movements on something that has no real basis. If that's enough to get certain keyboard warriors hot under the collar then so be it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, was more commenting on DaGaffers grumpypants attitude then anything ;)

Ofcourse a country should choose their own path, as long as it's kept within the country.

Though if Hidolf Atler comes to power in Sweden, i'll be a bit on my toes.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Finally, though i suspect more of the same with just a small change of personnel but same old same old.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
People shouldn't celebrate too soon. Military rule - which goes against their constitution.

It's never a good thing when the military is in charge of a country.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Especially a military that's mainly funded by US taxmoney.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No change then. Once again a countries voting public shows they are easily led and fooled.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Daft bastards have just bought themselves a military state.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The subject might well become more interesting since after the initial reports I found the fact the media kept banging on about it rather boring since nothing was actually happening.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Lol you havn't been paying attention.

I was, just wanted to call them daft bastards.
Seems the military chief was appointed by Mooboo and is just as hated, but probably a bit cleverer.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Right guys, meet me at my house next week, on Tuesday, and we'll organise riots (a) after East Enders ofc.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Despite the list of casualties increasing as this movement spreads across the Arab world, it can only be a good thing and imo a far better way for regime change to occur then outside intervention - Iraq & Afghanistan for example.

This is what happens when any government fails to live up to its "social contract" and regardless of how despotic or repressive a government is. Eventually people will reach a point where they will say enough is enough. The Shah of Iran faced it after 30+ years in government and we can see it happening today across the whole Arab World.

I also think that we have a lot of thanks to give to news agencies like Al Jazeera (Arabic not English) & Al Arabiya, which have not been popular with Western governments over the years because of their coverage of events in places like Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan.

Why you may ask?

Well they are beamed live into pretty much every Arab household that has a TV & Dish and for the first time in history these same households have seen their respective leaders being openly criticised, lambasted and generally given a supremely hard time by these channels over policies implemented at home and abroad.

The failure by these governments to deliver any kind of positive response on a range of issues over a number of years and the non stop barrage of news media highlighting these failures has played a massive role in peoples responses.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I agree with the press thing, imagine if only we had something like that in mainstream media eh :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Al Jazeera is great, you'll find that quite a few on this forum have said so many a time.

I agree that it's better than outside interference Tierk - but let's face it, there will have been discreet outside interference involved in a lot of the protests.

In Libya's case it's going to be a bloody and nasty regime change. I hope the protesters succeed across the arab world, but that they all realise that democracy isn't a magic pill, and that things are likely to get a lot worse before they get better.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I definitely agree with the Al-jezeera sentiment. In referance to recent activities atleast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom