News Egyption and Yemeni riots

tierk

Part of the furniture
You see as always the response to the demands are slow or instead of dealing with the issue quickly and completely you get half measures. Now it will turn violent and with violence comes the emergence of extremist groups and everything that comes with them.

It has also spread to Jordan now and no-one can say for sure where this will all stop nor where it will end at.

So it begins.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the live reports from BBC suggest that there are undercover police among the pro mubarak supporters attacking the square

questions though;
why did the army let them in? they have been keeping them out so far...

and surely there must be anti-mubarak dudes in the police too (even if they were keeping quiet while working for him), why are they not stepping in?

When/if the regime changes, what will be the repercussions for the policeforces that have alegedly been looting peoples homes/shops and attacking what was a peaceful protests?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You see as always the response to the demands are slow or instead of dealing with the issue quickly and completely you get half measures. Now it will turn violent and with violence comes the emergence of extremist groups and everything that comes with them.

It has also spread to Jordan now and no-one can say for sure where this will all stop nor where it will end at.

So it begins.

Egyptians can't win now. The problem is that the extreme groups will never be happy.

Feel sorry for all those affected, I agree Mubarak needs to go and Egypt needs a chance at a true democracy, but I don't think that is what they will get.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Man working at a news broadcast this thing has caused no end of stress here. Don't get me wrong it's good for the Egyptian people. The states have officially taken the stance that they know Mumbarak has to go aswell. Obama said something lastnight along the lines of "a swift change of leadership is needed". Egypt was until now the main go between for the Isreal - Palastine peace talks, without that it will deteriorate abit, if islamic people take control it's going to turn into a total clusterfuck down there.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Man working at a news broadcast this thing has caused no end of stress here. Don't get me wrong it's good for the Egyptian people. The states have officially taken the stance that they know Mumbarak has to go aswell. Obama said something lastnight along the lines of "a swift change of leadership is needed". Egypt was until now the main go between for the Isreal - Palastine peace talks, without that it will deteriorate abit, if islamic people take control it's going to turn into a total clusterfuck down there.

Obama even opened the door to an islamist governement on that speech, can be interesting to see the response to that from other countrys n middle east.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
States have officially taken the stance that they better start arse licking the protestors now so that they can still have some kind of influence with the new regime more like. Let's not forget who has kept Mubarak in power so long and turned a blind eye to what amounted to a dictatorship.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I love it when i read comments like this one. So when a country votes, in a democratic and free election for an Islamic Party of Government, it is some how undemocratic?
Well depends on how "free" the election is.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Well depends on how "free" the election is.

Whenever i hear anyone say something like this i just assume what they really mean is, depends on who actually wins

If it is who we want it was totally free and fair

If it isnt, clearly the entire elections were a exercise in fraud and can be discounted as illegitimate.

*****EDIT*****

The assumption would be that anything will be better than the last 30 years of western backed dictatorship that they ahve had to put up with. I for one hope it is an Islamic Party that wins as i am really curious to see how Israel and USA will deal with it.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i would prefer it not to be an islamic state but if they vote for it then fair enough (as long as the following elections are free and fair too of course, otherwise its like jumping from frying pan into the fire ;) )

i would not like to see US & Israel forced into anything as frankly i get the feeling we would all be dragged along for that ride into chaos and i would rather not :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Whenever i hear anyone say something like this i just assume what they really mean is, depends on who actually wins

If it is who we want it was totally free and fair

If it isnt, clearly the entire elections were a exercise in fraud and can be discounted as illegitimate.

*****EDIT*****

The assumption would be that anything will be better than the last 30 years of western backed dictatorship that they ahve had to put up with. I for one hope it is an Islamic Party that wins as i am really curious to see how Israel and USA will deal with it.

"Curiosity" is a pretty poor reason for wishing for an Islamic government. Unfortunately for Egypt an Islamic government probably is the best choice, given that the other option is the military. Lousy deal if you're a woman, or a foreigner, or gay, or not a muslim, but hey, those are the breaks right? Biggest problem with the Moslem Brotherhood (likely islamist Egyptian government) is that its pretty difficult to nail down what they do stand for.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
"Curiosity" is a pretty poor reason for wishing for an Islamic government. Unfortunately for Egypt an Islamic government probably is the best choice, given that the other option is the military. Lousy deal if you're a woman, or a foreigner, or gay, or not a muslim, but hey, those are the breaks right? Biggest problem with the Moslem Brotherhood (likely islamist Egyptian government) is that its pretty difficult to nail down what they do stand for.

bit like the concervatives then :p

Zede

Part of the furniture
I booked a holiday to Egypt back when the Sharm bombs went off. Most luxurious CHEAP holiday i've ever had !

So, Bring it on ! and 2 weeks by the red sea in a 5 star hotel for 200 quid plze..

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Prices for sharm haven't really dropped yet, been keeping an eye on it myself.

Marc

FH is my second home
Prices for sharm haven't really dropped yet, been keeping an eye on it myself.

Feb 10-Feb 14. All inclusive at a 5* hotel in sharm el shiek, £399 at a local travel agents

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Luckily capitalizing on these riots isn't considered "crossing the line" :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That's about the same as it was before the riots. Egypt is always cheap around this time. The flights are currently around £180, so if you can find 5 star for £250 then you are taking bargain.

DaGaffer

Prices for Mauritius have also fallen through the floor. Just sayin'...

Marc

FH is my second home
That's about the same as it was before the riots. Egypt is always cheap around this time. The flights are currently around £180, so if you can find 5 star for £250 then you are taking bargain.

ahh I didnt know mate

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
From an historic point of view, most of the dictatures and governements that are in place in the middle east are backuped by western countries and politics. Means USA and Europe are the one responsables for letting dictators ruling those countrys instead of other forms of governement. That's the way it was because it's easy to control and buy a dictator than a "democratic" regim that can switch political sides every year and so.

The western countries need to decide now what they want the more, control on those countries or radical change of the politcal spectra of the region. The last possibility is frightning for us but may also solve a lot of issues if lead by the right persons on the middle east.

I think western countries should gave a chance to change and work for the best to make us safe. At is now it can only get worth anyway.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I love it when i read comments like this one. So when a country votes, in a democratic and free election for an Islamic Party of Government, it is some how undemocratic?

Or hordes of illiterate and easily manipulated people vote based on a Friday prayer sermon.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Or hordes of illiterate and easily manipulated people vote based on a Friday prayer sermon.

This is different from, say, the US how? ;)

And that's all the political commentary i'll put forward on this thread, like Kyle(i believe) in South Park said;

Nope, not touching this one.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
The Muslim brotherhood have said today that they wouldn't put forward their own candidate (I believe there organisation is currently banned in egypt) they are hoping that the opposition groups can put forward a "common" candidate. I hope that change comes without too much more bloodshed.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No political party should have any affiliation with any particular religious group. The two do not mix. Obviously if people want to vote them then its their own stupid fault when it all goes to shit.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Writing on thw wall says he's stepping down this evenin. Could me any minute now.

DaGaffer

No political party should have any affiliation with any particular religious group. The two do not mix. Obviously if people want to vote them then its their own stupid fault when it all goes to shit.

No! Reaally? I'm sure the Moslem Brotherhood will see the error of their silly Islamic ways in the light of your dazzling insight and just pack the whole thing in. I can see the conversation now; "look lads, some keyboard monkey in the UK has pointed out we shouldn't mix religion and politics. He's right of course, lets put aside our integrated political-religious-legal belief system, and go down the pub. What the fuck were we thinking?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom