Ebola Crisis

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
at a million euros a pop?!?

that's hardly cost effective is it. Money needs to be spent on prevention, not cure. as harsh as it seems, anyone who already has it needs to be written off until the situation is under control, and just isolated somewhere local.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Ah yes the good elastoplast eyeball plasters

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Pricey part of the world then, I can get a neck rub plus extras for about 40 quid round here.......

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I thought you were pretty much fucked if you got Ebola? All they can do is keep you hydrated and hope you fight it off isn't it?

there is something like an 88% mortality rate, so if you are unlucky enough to actually catch it, then you have to fight hard and hope for the best. huffpost has a reasonably readable thing up here with some facts and debunked myths.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Apparently it's more contagious than the article informs it to be. Thus the huge amount of costs to facilitate and transport someone that has been infected. According to a friend of mine working with logistics and diseases/outbreaks for the WHO in Holland.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
well, the CDC is fairly clear on things. Ofc, you can be in situations where actually catching the big E is much more likely, but you know you'd quite likely have noticed the biohazard signs, people wearing gowns and masks shouting at you to gtfo, that kind of thing.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I heard on the radio on the way home they were thinking of deploying an untried and untested vaccine. This zombie story is just writing itself.

Further to this I just found out what this experimental serum is called.

Apparently it's ZMapp.

I mean, really?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Further to this I just found out what this experimental serum is called.

Apparently it's ZMapp.

I mean, really?

Just saw the same thing on Sky News, a Canadian company is supplying it. I certainly would not trust it, I mean they are half French! ;) The Guardian and Reuters ran a story that GlaxoSmithKline also have vaccine but that it will start trials later this year.

I guess if you have contracted it and are given the choice, try this or 50% chance of dying you would probably try it. Wonder what stages of clinical trials it has actually got to.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Saw on the news that if this isnt contained really fast they estimate 1.4mill people infected by Jan

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Big fat zero.

A mate of mine who makes vaccines was saying if Ebola hit here they could make enough vaccine in the UK to treat every single person in a matter of weeks and the have contingency plans for such events.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
We also have our first victim that is coming home to Norway! :)

sayward

Resident Freddy
What I can't understand is if we could successfully 'Barrier nurse' smallpox why not ebola? Are we that incompetent?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Europe is infected, we better tell everyone we cared all along and send soldiers!

Job

hardly a crisis...thousands more people die of the flu

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
hardly a crisis...thousands more people die of the flu

That's like saying lets not worry about who can get their hands on nuclear weapons because knifes have killed more people.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Problem is it can evolve, most figures quoted are void as they are just a snapshot of the people infected/dead that are known of and not the true figures. Chances of dieing from catching the flu for each person is far lower so doesn't even compare. You are like the US police marshal that now has it. He should have known all that info u posted but STILL managed to catch it. Same for the Spanish nurse. If this gets out of control it wont matter what country it is is as every country has a limited amount of beds and medicines.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It is the lack of apparent control that concerns most people, it wouldn't take a great deal to make it spread fairly quickly in the west and in the modern age the primary issue is complacency.

Job

The poor guy on the Dominican flight, he sneezed and joked he wasn't from Africa then two hours of hazhat suits and interrogation ensued..ffs he was saying he didn't have Ebola, we are entering a whole new world of consequence from the slightest comment due to organised panic...you seriously could get on a plane and announce you have just been screened for Ebola and had the complete clear and you would be dragged off the plane and all the passengers would spend a week in isolation wards.
It's the Life of Brian Jehova sketch come true.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The poor guy on the Dominican flight, he sneezed and joked he wasn't from Africa then two hours of hazhat suits and interrogation ensued..ffs he was saying he didn't have Ebola, we are entering a whole new world of consequence from the slightest comment due to organised panic...you seriously could get on a plane and announce you have just been screened for Ebola and had the complete clear and you would be dragged off the plane and all the passengers would spend a week in isolation wards.
It's the Life of Brian Jehova sketch come true.
Poor guy.

Shame it happens to some people every day.

blogger-image-309728089.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The poor guy on the Dominican flight, he sneezed and joked he wasn't from Africa then two hours of hazhat suits and interrogation ensued.

Those quarantine guys weren't really dressed professionally if they only took a hazhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom