EA going to far again? (Me3)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
(there is a major MAJOR spoiler in this video so DON'T watch it if you don't want to know)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2afff64FUAAAAAAAAAA

Basically for those who doesn't want to watch, bioware has developed a DLC that is free if you have the collector edition, but available for $10USD on launch day for those who bought the standard and digital deluxe editions...

So that means that they spent development time working on this DLC that adds a companion, missions, lore and other important stuff WHILE working on the main game.

They did the same in ME2 and DA2 but there they were free if you bought a new copy of the game.

Now they try to make us buy the CE edition or make us pay extra for something that was completed before the main game....

So pretty much only the CE edition is content complete.

i'm gonna call EA later and cancel my preorder. And you lot should to because this is WAY worse then what dice tried to pull with the retailer exclusive weapons in MW3...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Pretty much the same for every game developer these days.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
had this discussion on ventrilo about 40 mins ago

you are getting "the whole game" in much the same way that when you buy a new car you get "the whole car". if you want the leather seats/0-day DLC, then you pay extra for it

dont
see
the
issue

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
DLC available on day 1 that isn't simply part of the game? Fuck that.

Just one more reason why I don't give money to EA, tbfh.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
had this discussion on ventrilo about 40 mins ago

you are getting "the whole game" in much the same way that when you buy a new car you get "the whole car". if you want the leather seats/0-day DLC, then you pay extra for it

dont
see
the
issue
But leather seats doesn't add anything to the car that it doesn't already have, even tho the stock seats may or may not be less comfy.

This DLC were allegedly finished a few months ago.

To use your car example: You order a custom built car, they take the money and build said car, but in the middle of the build they decide to make something extra with the help of YOUR money (and delaying the time to deliver the car to you), and then offer it as an optional extra for additional payment, would you agree to that? Personally i'd be furious because i didn't get my money's worth put into the car.

And it doesn't matter if you bought the CE/DD or ghetto version of the game, your money were still used to make that DLC with developers that were already working on the game.

I wouldn't have said anything if it were graphical fluff like alternate costumes or different weapon textures because the graphics is one of the first things to be completed, so they probably just sit around waiting for a new project anyway. /edit: or in your case, leather seats for your car. As long as they made the original seat as well.

So not only do we have to pay extra for this, the game itself were also delayed because developers were pulled from the main game to work on this.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Battlefield 3 did the same afaik? had to buy the limited edition to get the DLC which was about £10 more expensive.. or pay £15 for the DLC seperate.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
So not only do we have to pay extra for this, the game itself were also delayed because developers were pulled from the main game to work on this.

Not according to Bioware it wasn't. They say that the DLC was completed by a different team who worked on it after the core game was finished and had entered the certification process.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Game dev POV:

Releasing a DLC can cost up to 150k in earth moneys. Launch day DLC costs nothing. That is..up to 150k to RELEASE, not develop. So it's logical to use people to create DLC content if they have the time so that you can get it to launch.

Developers don't work like a pie, where taking X from Y delays Z. People working on the DLC most likely didn't work on the main game anymore and the delay was bug fixing and certificate issues. Even graphics aren't done "long time ago" and are fixed until later weeks.

In a nutshell;

It's a launch DLC that isn't a "must buy to complete game", which was made by people who could be taken away from the main project.

Mountain, molehill, by people who only rage "moneygrabbing!" and don't know jack about gamedev and how it works. And yeah, CE gets all the goodies like it always has.

On a sidenote; cynical brit has been more of a whiny baby as of late then before.

By the way, dice has nothing to do with MW3 :p

psyc1one

Loyal Freddie
The only DLC for BF3 that matters is the Back to Karkand pack (which was released about a month after the game was released) and that was included for everyone who preordered the game regardless the retailer or the edition you bought. The other DLC for BF3 (that only few "retailers" included into their preorder package) just adds skins and some weapons that give you no extra content as such (except if you love skins and "need" the extra weapons).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Forgot to add;

Making a launch day DLC makes it cheaper to develop and as such, cheaper to the end user.

DLC costs money to make, so it costs the players also. Simple as that. Launch day dLC is cheaper for the developer and the end user. Anything else is just whiny abbytalk about how you can't have that lollipop too.

Would you be happy to pay £20 for the dlc, just to have it a month after release? Like with regular DLC? That would be a-ok? Even when...you'll love this fact... those DLCs -most likely- have been completed already ages ago(don't be naive).

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Game dev POV:

Releasing a DLC can cost up to 150k in earth moneys. Launch day DLC costs nothing. That is..up to 150k to RELEASE, not develop. So it's logical to use people to create DLC content if they have the time so that you can get it to launch.

And isn't that why they put a price tag on them? To make up for the cost and make a profit? So you saying that launch day DLC cost nothing to make while they still put a pricetag on it just confirms that they ARE milking the cow. Now if what Krazeh says is true then it might be a different matter. But only very slightly and we can't know for sure.

Mountain, molehill, by people who only rage "moneygrabbing!" and don't know jack about gamedev and how it works. And yeah, CE gets all the goodies like it always has.
Yes but CE's generally has a metric tonne of crap that noone really cares about, and that crap is what cost money. :)
Or so they want to make us believe anyway. Physical CE's, sure. Digital CE's, no fucking way is THAT pricetag warranted... :)

On a sidenote; cynical brit has been more of a whiny baby as of late then before.
Yes, yes he has.. :(

By the way, dice has nothing to do with MW3 :p

Whatever, MW3/BF3/COD/TF2/hello kitty online, same shit different package.. :)

*runs like hell!*

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And isn't that why they put a price tag on them? To make up for the cost and make a profit? So you saying that launch day DLC cost nothing to make while they still put a pricetag on it just confirms that they ARE milking the cow. Now if what Krazeh says is true then it might be a different matter. But only very slightly and we can't know for sure.

Yes but CE's generally has a metric tonne of crap that noone really cares about, and that crap is what cost money. :)
Or so they want to make us believe anyway. Physical CE's, sure. Digital CE's, no fucking way is THAT pricetag warranted... :)

I want to start on a positive and say that yes, MW3/BF3/COD...same sh*t. Couldn't be arsed :p

Now then, on the release DLC; it's not free to make, it's free to release. Anything but a release date DLC will cost an extra 50-150k to put out. In that sense, launchy day dlc is free, but it ofcourse costs the same amount to actually make(wages etc).

What Krazeh said is actually true, when the certificate process begins(to ME3 it probably started in december already), you can't add the kind of stuff that the DLC has, especially not a new character and lore. External QA, rigorous sony/microsoft scrutiny and so forth makes it impossible to add to the master release after a certain point. This DLC is most likely content they wanted into the game, but didn't have time to implement and needed more time(aka more cost also) to make. People saying they made this already a part of the game and then decided it's worth monies and took it out, are talking out of their arse. You can hear it from that TB rant about coding, where he thinks putting in a dog companion that follows you around is "just a touch of coding". Usual gamer opinion which has no bearing on reality ;)

Now on the CE issue, every CE i've bought has had extra physical AND game crap and most CE's with launch day DLCs also offer the DLC because you already paid extra. Giving this DLC free to all, would now screw over people who did already pay.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh and forgot to add that boycotting the game harms one person; yourself. You won't get to play the game, it'll make tons of moneys and you'll deny yourself the long waited ending. That's it, that's the mass effect of it.

It's like watching only 4-5 of the original star wars and not watch the return because you think lucas is a moneygrabber. Hurting, yourself.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If I play this I will pirate it. That's because I am tired of EA. However, I wasn't all that keen on the other mass effect games so I won't be rushing to get it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's not quite true when you say day one DLC is free to release - there's still huge server costs to figure in.

Mabs

If I play this I will pirate it. That's because I am tired of EA. However, I wasn't all that keen on the other mass effect games so I won't be rushing to get it.

so you have nothing of value to add to the discussion
if you steal shit, your opinion is invalid

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not quite true when you say day one DLC is free to release - there's still huge server costs to figure in.

Compared to a later date DLC that is, ofcourse delivering it to customers still costs money(another point to get money out of the dlc in itself).

Biggest problem that people have is to realise that this DLC never was part of the original game;

Master in cert(with all bells and whistles), can't change it one way or other anymore -> start on DLC to bring it out in a timely fashion/even at launch -> sell like any other DLC.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
sense of entitlement is so "in" these days isnt it

they owe you why exactly ?

Because the product they sold me isn't very good and under distance selling laws I would like my money back, as I am actually entitled to within 30 days.

Except I can't because they do not give refunds on games.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you have to have a game on day one then you're a mug.

I prefer purchasing my games now when they're the right value, e.g. Saints Row 3 with complete season pass cost me £15.00 and the unreleased DLC came as part of that. For me it is about the total cost of a game and the associated experience, not what bit is sold for how much and when.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Because the product they sold me isn't very good and under distance selling laws I would like my money back, as I am actually entitled to within 30 days.

Except I can't because they do not give refunds on games.
That's because you bought a licence and not a physical product is it not? The licence worked, you just didn't like it. No?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The same could be said for any game that comes with a serial key.

And you can return any items within the cooling off period if you decide you do not want them, for any reason.

Not just because they are faulty, and SW is very faulty and not really as advertised.

But ok, if a piece of software is not a physical product then making a copy of it cannot be theft...right? Downloading ME3 is fine because it is not a physical product and doesn't have a licence.

Mabs

The same could be said for any game that comes with a serial key.

And you can return any items within the cooling off period if you decide you do not want them, for any reason.

Not just because they are faulty, and SW is very faulty and not really as advertised.

But ok, if a piece of software is not a physical product then making a copy of it cannot be theft...right? Downloading ME3 is fine because it is not a physical product and doesn't have a license.

lol
im not even going to bother to deign to reply to that properly
just keep spinning a web of pseudo legal bullshit around yourself and youll be fine

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The game is shit and was advertised as being good. It will be dead within 3 months.

I paid £45 for it and I am not happy with my purchase. I would like my money back, which I am entitled to. There is no way to get my money back.

Having to explain this on the back of a not to be taken seriously throw away quip to an anal retentive is a bit of a waste of time really so I will leave it there.

Mabs

The game is shit and was advertised as being good. It will be dead within 3 months.

I paid £45 for it and I am not happy with my purchase. I would like my money back, which I am entitled to. There is no way to get my money back.

Having to explain this on the back of a not to be taken seriously throw away quip to an anal retentive is a bit of a waste of time really so I will leave it there.

no its not
not it wont be

i thought you were about 25 raven ? since when did "opinion" = "fact" ?

seriously, get a grip

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Eh? Distance selling regulations aren't an opinion, they are a fact, well, a law actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom