DToC - Anybody using

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by old.Xarr
rawr! i'm surrounded by rules-lawyers... look i don't care what you can dig up from your precious CoC. i've talked with plenty of us-players and mythic couldn't care less if they hop around with nostromo game pads.

Then go play the US servers run by Mythic.

GOA have plainly stated that the use of any 3rd party tool is NOT allowed on the Euro servers, use DToC or any other hardware or software at your risk, just dont moan WHEN you get banned.

N

-Nxs-

i simply percieve dtoc as daoc 1.1 until goa/mythic decides it's a bannable offense.

GOA have already stated that that you should not be usisng applications like this, therefore you have your answer.

O

old.Xarr

Originally posted by -Nxs-

Then go play the US servers run by Mythic.

GOA have plainly stated that the use of any 3rd party tool is NOT allowed on the Euro servers, use DToC or any other hardware or software at your risk, just dont moan WHEN you get banned.

i play the us servers too :p

thing is goa should really try using or atleast see the program before they decide it's not legal.

speaking of banning and such, do you know anyone at all that has been banned by goa? ever?

L

lakih

speaking of banning and such, do you know anyone at all that has been banned by goa? ever?

Ask Kr0n what happend to his account after fiddeling with Brannors (among other stupid things he did).

:rolleyes:

N

-Nxs-

Not personaly, but there have been posts here of people banned before (or suspended)

I do however agree with GOA's stance, that no 3rd party tools should be allowed. If they ever posted something to the lines of "We now allow DToC" then they would need to approve every subsiquent version update from the author, and knowing how these tools develop a new release is out frequently

Its a shame that a stat gathering tool has -extra- features that the majority here feel provide an advantage to gameplay.

X

Xandax

rawr! i'm surrounded by rules-lawyers... look i don't care what you can dig up from your precious CoC. i've talked with plenty of us-players and mythic couldn't care less if they hop around with nostromo game pads.

is it only black or white to you people?

I'd rather follow the rules, then trying to bend them because *I feel like this should be that*

Rules are there for a reason, and it isn't to be broken, but to ensure that the game is *played as intended*

People can have all the oppinions they want - the rules lay out what is accepted, and as somebody has quoted, GOA doesn't accept macroing aid.
The fact that they seem to inept to actually detect or ban somebody for offenses, dose not in my book make it okay.

okay let me put it like this then. if it's the macroing that worries you let me tell you about the nostromo gamepad. this product is fully sanctified by mythic to use with daoc. it ain't a 3rd party program, but it allows you to program macroed commandoes exactly like dtoc does.

but i can see now that i can't change your mind about dtoc, so i'm not gonna try too hard...

And no - it isn't "just" macroing that worries me, it is people extensive search for something to "bend the rules" all the time that worries me.
And there is a fine line between accepting one program/product to "enhance" your gaming to accepting another program to "enhance" more.

And yes, these things are always black and white to me. Either you do - or you don't.
Either you follow the CoC for what ever reason, if nothing else for respect of the people that actually want to play a clean game - or you don't follow the CoC.

O

old.Xarr

Originally posted by Xandax
<snip>And no - it isn't "just" macroing that worries me, it is people extensive search for something to "bend the rules" all the time that worries me.
And there is a fine line between accepting one program/product to "enhance" your gaming to accepting another program to "enhance" more.

And yes, these things are always black and white to me. Either you do - or you don't.
Either you follow the CoC for what ever reason, if nothing else for respect of the people that actually want to play a clean game - or you don't follow the CoC.

i'm not using dtoc to 'bend the rules' at all. i'm using dtoc because it makes daoc a hell of a lot better. i can control my mp3 player, i can have notes on a group i'm in. i can have total control over all the things that have dropped. i've only been using dtoc for like 3 days becuase i've just returned from a massive break from daoc so i don't really know about all the macros and other stuff yet.

my point is i'm not doing this to 'get closer' to cheating or something. i'm using dtoc because it's supersweet.

i just wish goa could make a statement or clarify/specify/update their CoC or something.

T

Teh Fonz!!1

I'm sure this will pop up in this weeks friday news and it will go something like this :

GOA don't like 3rd party programs.

O

old.Biffsmash

I have used DTOC and it does seem great. The macroing thing I dont like , cos its going to turn the game into uberleet Ultima Online with DAOC ASSIST and other such crap coming out to make good players, even better than they are, and make it impossible for new players to compete because they wont have the add on utils, just like Uo did for me.

Then GOA and MYTHIC will include these progs in the game and take away the feeling of doing these things your self.

Macroing to improve the speed you can do things , or allowing you to do lots of things that are SUPPOSED to take time, like changing to a different weapon or instrument, which in case you don't know SHOULD take some time to do, just plain sucks!

The statistics features and the mp3 control etc are great and should be allowed, but not macroing/cheating.

Luckily the prog causes me massive lag problems so I no longer use it, and following this sickening thread, I would never use it again.

:puke: Macros

edit: I have to add, one thing about using macros to perform a lot of actions in 1 keypress. When you are facing enemies, surely its fun in a fight knowing u pressure your enemy into making a mistake, hitting the wrong key or missing a style.

These things enhance the game, if everything u did was easy, macrod in other words, it would certainly take some of the fun out of it all :/

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Teh Fonz!!1
I'm sure this will pop up in this weeks friday news and it will go something like this :

GOA don't like 3rd party programs.

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=710

Using third party tools allowing you to alter the game or alter the way the game should be played is strictly forbidden. If you want to play DAOC legally, just play the game as it was designed. If you don't, do not be surprised to see your account terminated some day. Remember, YOU are responsible for your account and the only thing you need to play DAOC, is the client of Dark Age of Camelot, nothing else…

N

-Nxs-

So those people who have said words such as..

i'm using dtoc because it makes daoc a hell of a lot better.

Should...

Originally posted by Flimgoblin (Paste of Friday News)
not be surprised to see your account terminated some day

Kinda sums it up :)

O

old.Xarr

heh, funny man.

it's pretty obvious goa is against anything 3rd party-whatever. however i highly doubt we will see someone being banned for it.

N

-Nxs-

I sure hope not. There are worse offenders out there than DToC

L

leap

Still some features that...

..I personally dont think Mythic/GOA allows... if u played around with the proggy too much you would find these /names functions, and that adds information on screen, personally i only use this proggy for changing mp3 songs, and autochat function.

U

ulrikakaka

From the camelot herald today

Dark Days Ahead For Dark Tool Users
from Sanya Thomas
2003-01-28 15:41:59

Here's the announcement many of you have been looking for - the official word on the application known as DTOC.

The fan-created utility called "Dark Tool of Camelot" directly interacts with our client, and intercepts our data stream. As such, it is a violation of our rules of conduct, one of which states: "Any disassembly or modification of any of the Game's executable code, databases and/or files. Nor may you interfere with or attempt to decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running Dark Age of Camelot. Doing this will result in immediate termination of the Account and may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability."

We ask that everyone using this program voluntarily stop using it until such time as the program complies with our ROC and EULA. We will be aggressively pursuing and removing users, because the tool is causing harm to our game.

X

Xandax

Originally posted by ulrikakaka
From the camelot herald today

Dark Days Ahead For Dark Tool Users
from Sanya Thomas
2003-01-28 15:41:59

Here's the announcement many of you have been looking for - the official word on the application known as DTOC.

The fan-created utility called "Dark Tool of Camelot" directly interacts with our client, and intercepts our data stream. As such, it is a violation of our rules of conduct, one of which states: "Any disassembly or modification of any of the Game's executable code, databases and/or files. Nor may you interfere with or attempt to decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running Dark Age of Camelot. Doing this will result in immediate termination of the Account and may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability."

We ask that everyone using this program voluntarily stop using it until such time as the program complies with our ROC and EULA. We will be aggressively pursuing and removing users, because the tool is causing harm to our game.

A nice clear message from Mytich. :clap: :clap:

S

Sarum TheBlack

I guess it resolves the debate anyway.

Shame in a way, the stats, auto chat and loot distribution features are pretty cool. Equally, it's probably the only decision mythic could give due to the macro stuff, but primarily because of the packet interception stuff. It used to run off the chat log, perhaps if the writer reverts it back to that (unfortunately not doubt loosing a lot of functionality in the process) Mythic might go back to their "blind eye" policy on it.

D

Draylor

It cant go back to working from the chatlog - the chatlog was "nerfed" a while back so that it isnt written to instantly. Mainly to stop crafting macro-bots - which this tool used to do.

It sounds as if Mythic are going to add some of the features from this tool, guess we'll see what happens in the next few sets of patch notes.

O

old.Glendower

Glendower

Might be worth noting that, as we are continually reminded, Mythic does not run the game here...GOA does. So what Mythic says is crap.

Also, even if GAO was inclined to try and hack people's comps to attempt to detect this, I doubt very much that they would have the expertise to do so, lol!

O

old.Wildfire

dtoc isnt exactly hard to detect with all its text outputs...

N

nju

Re: Glendower

Originally posted by old.Glendower
Might be worth noting that, as we are continually reminded, Mythic does not run the game here...GOA does. So what Mythic says is crap.

even so, it's a HACK and aren't hacks against goa's policy too? but if mythic really wanted to spot people using this kind of programs then they could easily just put in a little filter that grabbed and grepped unusually repeating messages sent from a client to the server and BOOM hack alarm goes off, maybe they monitor the account a bit longer and if it keeps on sending certain commands on a regular pattern for X period of time, ban the account

ofcourse they wouldn't have 100% proof of a hack being used, but neither would the account user have 100% proof of his/her innocense WHAM subscription cancelled for an unknown period

whenever somebody makes a door someone else makes a key that fits

all mentioned above are possibilities, not saying mythic / goa would actually go through with doing such a antihack thing but can you say they wouldn't? :)

X

Xandax

Re: Glendower

Originally posted by old.Glendower

Also, even if GAO was inclined to try and hack people's comps to attempt to detect this, I doubt very much that they would have the expertise to do so, lol!

Well GOA has stated that using 3rd tools, as stated else where in a post in this thread, that alter the game from how it was intended are forbidden.
People used that Mytich "allowed" it as justification for using it, despite what GOA said - now that justification is gone also.

A

amazingsteve

As I said before, at the time Hib/Pryd became aware of it, we had a discussion whether it would be condoned or not. You can read that here: http://www.prydwen.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3397

One of our E&Es really pushed GoA to an official statement, which resulted in the post I made somewhere else in this thread. Although GoA doesn´t actually name DtoC, that is what it is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom