does teh size really matter?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
right. um. well.

I've been saving up to get that yummy 24" dell widescreen monitor. there have been a couple of threads about it.

now.

that dell is 830 euros the cheapest I can get it.

looking through a list of hardware prices I suddenly noticed a new Iiyama 22" tft, the ProLite E2200WS-B1 or this one.

I can get that one for 345 euros, or about 500 eur cheaper than the Dell.

so, do I pay 500 euros for 2 inches, or do I get the Iiyama 22" and be happy and squander 500 euros in my fave pub?

Dilemma!

Btw, I currently have a 19" Iiyama tft and am perfectly pleased with it other than it running at 1280x1024. the 22" Iiyama runs at 1650x1050 or something weird like that. the 24" Dell runs at 1920x1080 iirc.

Someone tell me what I should do! I only play games and surf the web. I do not watch movies or things on my poota and I do not own a console of the next gen varity. Also I am half Dutch and half Scots, making me a thrifty barstand :D

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The issue with upgrading to a 22" is all you are really going to get is widescreen, apart from that the monitor won't be much bigger!

I caved, after all the delays to the Benq, and just got a 2407. It's a lovely panel, and I have no problems with it. On my desk it almost fills my entire field of view! So I'd recommend the 2407, which you can find for £500 on ebay.

The only issue is that my 2x7800GT in SLI can't run recent games at native resolution (1920x1200. fps is poor in NWN2 and there's some odd bugs in Dark Messiah), so I'm upgrading to a 8800GTS come payday (more expense).

As to the Iiyama, you know the plus points, cheapness, response time, size, etc. Well it's a dithering panel (16.2 million colours), so that's not a plus point. Also they run at the same resolution as the 20" widescreen panels, just the pixels are bigger, which is another.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi Teedles,

I bought a Dell2407 a few weeks ago and am absolutely delighted with it. I am convinced I did the right thing. I also bought a 7900GTO (slightly underclocked GTX) to go with it.

I can play CoH at full resolution, but not with everything on, and this thing scales so well that the game looks much better, and has better frame rates if I run at 1600x900 with almost full settings. For internets I love the extra space I get with the huge resolution.

I got it for £530 delivered, not from ebay!

Dunno about the smaller panels I was tempted to go the same way, but am glad I didn't.

I'm not sure that'll help you, but I'd say go for it, you'll not regret it.

RB

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm getting sick of trying to make you spend your money. JUST BUY IT TEEDS!

22" isn't worth it. It's not a big leap from your 19".

It's wierd, when you get the 24" you don't realise how big it is and how much you get used to the extra space until you have to use a smaller monitor again.

I'm running Coh, DoW and CSS at full settings (2xAA on DoW, none on the others) at 1920*1200 just fine with a 1950xtx, so you should have no troubles with your sli beasties.

And as has been said, it's under £500 on ebay. Which is less than 750 euros isnt it?

TdC

I'm scared of ebay :( also that benq is totally hot :(

I was reading up on the actual difference between a 22" widescreen and a 24" and now I know why the 22 is stupidly "cheap" compared to the 24.

my 19" has 1310720 pixels
the 22" has 1732500 pixels (x1.32 over 19")
the 24" has 2304000 pixels (x1.76 over 19")

also I read that the 22" iiyama is a 16.2 million colour screen whereas the 19" I have and the 24" dell are true 24 colour screens or 16.7 million colours. Iiyama calls this "approximately 16.7" :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Look at the feedback of the guys that have been selling the dell for years now (2405 through to 2407). I got my 2405 from one of them, no problems what so ever. ASk them questions if you are unsure, afaik it is a 3 year euro warrenty on these screens.

TdC

aha, I've been doing some checking. I can get one from ericbunny for approx 813 euros (that's with postage). I can get one new from a shop in dutchland for 827.

TdC

I just ordered a 2407!

*wood*

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I have a 19" CRT. Fear it.

TdC

only if you spunk on it and leave it outside my house :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I was thinking, wouldnt 3x22" widies be a better option?

TdC

only if they were truely 8 bit panels I guess :/

TdC

it's here it's here! my god, it's HUGE!!

TdC

*mechanical breathing*

I am your father!

sadly though, my gf has declared this weekend to be "quality time together" weekend and therefor there will be no gaming I guess :( on the other hand there may be boobies! :D

TdC

I'm a genuine lezza!

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
You bastards with your shiny dell 24" widescreens. My 17" nec tft is dieing slowly :/ And my laptops starting to show wear, (me thinks renewing my maintenance contract and getting dell to replace it might be in order)

TdC

I most certainly will, though my gf's boobies are preferred tbh :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
TdC said:
*mechanical breathing*

I am your father!

sadly though, my gf has declared this weekend to be "quality time together" weekend and therefor there will be no gaming I guess :( on the other hand there may be boobies! :D

get her to watch you play. thats pretty quality imo

TdC

I prefer the it the other way round tbh :)

TdC

btw, I discovered a single dead subpixel in the top left quadrant of the dell. I'm dissapointed, but tbh it is really tiny and I can lose sight of it even when I'm looking at it straight on.
Against a busily coloured background or in a game I can't find it, and I only discovered it because I had set my background to full white, and then full black to check for such things. I spotted it on the black.

Pity tbh, because I took out an extra warranty that guards me against >1 subpixel defect. There is only one :/

still it is really tiny, and the only reason I can see it is because I now know where to look. I thought it was a speck of dust at first.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Keep poking the screen till you make another dead pixel then get a replacement :)

This is why I bought it from the ebay guy, he test for dead pixels and gaurentees none or he will swap it out.

TdC

the garentee I took out was 1 subpixel or less. just unlucky tbh, but I can really barely see it, and have to look for it even though I know where it is, so it's fine imo. Unless another crops up, cos then I'll be swapping the screen in a flash :)

other than all that, it's fab. still getting used to it but most games are great :D

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
I just want to rez this thread to state something...

you are all a bunch of bastards :eek:

Just ordered myself one for using on my computer and hooking up the xbox360, because of everyone ranting and raving about it, and having all the inputs.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Welcome to teh dark side :)

It is great for pc and 360 use, you will not be dissapointed.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Why should I buy one of these as opposed to a HDTV?

I dont have a desktop here at the moment so I'd only be using it for my 360 and my laptop (which would be a waste as I couldn't output at native res).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom