News Doctors want ban on smoking in private vehicles

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Wow I didn't think it would take that long for this thread to hit Godwins law stage.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Fucking granny state nonsense, soon we won't be able to fart in the bath

Farting in the bath is dangerous, gasses can settle as a layer above the water and you can suffocate.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
smoking should be banned for the same reason use of mobiles was, it's fucking dangerous doing something with your hands other than driving.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Smoking in a car is second nature, much like using the indicators, changing the gears or pressing down on the brake. What they should ban is fucking lorry drivers reading maps whilst driving. Christ, what a load of bollox. People who smoke are into a habit which they can do without even realising it. When you are driving along and change gear you don't think, you just do. Same as lifting the ciggy to your mouth and taking a puff. When finished, you either drop it in the ashtray or wind the window down (ouch too much distraction for those without electric windows!!!) and chuck it out.

I smoke in the car but only when I am on my own. Anyone else in the car who is a non-smoker then I do not light up. Simple. Next it will be illegal to scratch your bollox whilst driving.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Smoking in a car is second nature, much like using the indicators, changing the gears or pressing down on the brake. What they should ban is fucking lorry drivers reading maps whilst driving. Christ, what a load of bollox. People who smoke are into a habit which they can do without even realising it. When you are driving along and change gear you don't think, you just do. Same as lifting the ciggy to your mouth and taking a puff. When finished, you either drop it in the ashtray or wind the window down (ouch too much distraction for those without electric windows!!!) and chuck it out.

I smoke in the car but only when I am on my own. Anyone else in the car who is a non-smoker then I do not light up. Simple. Next it will be illegal to scratch your bollox whilst driving.

Liked and all that.

Some people are too anally 10-2, eyes on road at all times, no music, no talking, no breathing! focus focus drivers to be honest.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Liked and all that.

Some people are too anally 10-2, eyes on road at all times, no music, no talking, no breathing! focus focus drivers to be honest.
Actually you didn't like my post so please stop lying. Thanks.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There are so many more important things going on in the world than this abortion of a news article.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I don't think its fair to quote them as "Doctors want this therefore = twats".. some doctors have said it'd be a good idea based on the evidence, not all of them. Tar, brush and all that. At least they're quoting evidence.

Personally, having seen a lot of people having a shit time because of it, I think smoking is pretty stupid in the first place. Considering that fact and the evidence they quote, I pretty seriously doubt "people inhale far more Carbon Monoxide and far greater amounts of other harmful chemicals just walking down the fucking street".

If you want to smoke, fine it's your choice, so long as you're not in denial that it can fuck you up if you don't do it in balance, same as a lot of things (alcohol included), and so long as you don't endanger other people if the evidence shows more crash their cars or whatever.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
When finished, you either drop it in the ashtray or wind the window down (ouch too much distraction for those without electric windows!!!) and chuck it out.

So you just throw litter around?

opticle

Part of the furniture
FYI, smoking is the greatest cause of disability and preventable and premature death in the UK. Smoking causes 120 000 deaths in the UK a year, which is 13 people every hour or over 300 people a day.

Obviously, it depends how much you smoke, but I don't think it really compares to walking down the street. :coffee:

Then again, the government gets lots of tax off it, which supposedly covers the health burden we all support, so that's just sweet.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I pretty seriously doubt "people inhale far more Carbon Monoxide and far greater amounts of other harmful chemicals just walking down the fucking street".

Really, so what exactly is it you think you're breathing in when you walk down the street? Think about it next time you're in town doing some shopping. Look at the exhaust of every car, bike, bus and truck and then tell me how smoking in the car, or even smoking in general is worse than the combined output of that.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Funny reading stuff about this as alot of it is:

Smokers: Fuck off, I do what I want.
Non-smokers: Haha, too right! Make the bastards suffer!

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Smoking could be for the mostpart wiped out overnight if governments went all out on taxes but they don't as they would lose too much money and it would encourage more illegal cigarettes.

This is just a case of nanny state gone wrong, nothing more

opticle

Part of the furniture
Really, so what exactly is it you think you're breathing in when you walk down the street? Think about it next time you're in town doing some shopping. Look at the exhaust of every car, bike, bus and truck and then tell me how smoking in the car, or even smoking in general is worse than the combined output of that.

I don't really get this.. Go to a hospital respiratory ward and ask people if they smoke.. I think you'll find a much stronger association with serious disease than those that are just walking down the street.

I'm not arguing that streets are polluted, but I don't think saying that anecdotally is a way of getting around the evidence-based fact that "smoking is the greatest cause of disability and preventable and premature death in the UK."

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Funny reading stuff about this as alot of it is:

Smokers: Fuck off, I do what I want.
Non-smokers: Haha, too right! Make the bastards suffer!

Could also say it like this;

Smokers: f*ck off, my life!
Non-smokers: No, we rule the world!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Since you're smoking and you're "walking down the street", then you're going to be breathing in significantly more crap than just "walking down the street" alone, no? You can avoid one, but not the other. As it turns out I think you're flat out wrong anyway (massively so), but nevertheless, even if you were right, you're still doing more damage to yourself than if you were just breathing in ambient pollution.

Look, even though I'm an ex-smoker, I'm not an anti-smoking zealot at all, and I believe people should be allowed to get on with their own lives, but at the same time, you're just in denial about the damage ciggies actually do to you.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah you could fix it like that, if you're one of those anti-smokers who go WAY overboard with just how poison it is.

You probably think that one puff of smoke in the street, from 100 yards away, is going to be the cause of your death :X3:

Oh, i don't blame you though, you live in a nanny state and it HAS altered a lot of folk around here into paranoid, over-protective carebears.

Calaen

Yeah you could fix it like that, if you're one of those anti-smokers who go WAY overboard with just how poison it is.

You probably think that one puff of smoke in the street, from 100 yards away, is going to be the cause of your death :X3:

Oh, i don't blame you though, you live in a nanny state and it HAS altered a lot of folk around here into paranoid, over-protective carebears.

The fact I can inhale your shit from 100 yards away kinda tells me there is something wrong with it. Smoke yourself to death all you want just keep it away from me. I prefer to listen to general facts as opposed to random hypothetical situtations of your own creation.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The fact I can inhale your shit from 100 yards away kinda tells me there is something wrong with it.

I'd like to see some "facts" about how you can get any damaging effect from 100 yards away :p

In same car? Apartment? Enclosed place like a bar? Sure. But if you're one of those people who scowls at people who smoke WELL away from other people, f*ck off implied.

Calaen

I'd like to see some "facts" about how you can get any damaging effect from 100 yards away :p

In same car? Apartment? Enclosed place like a bar? Sure. But if you're one of those people who scowls at people who smoke WELL away from other people, f*ck off implied.

OH NO you really want me to fuck off, whatever will I do. I scowl at people who have issues reading no smoking signs, as I said previously smoke all you want, stick some up your arse for extra measure if you choose. As long as i'm not smelling the foul stench I couldn't give a flying fuck.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH

tell roy castle that.

the fact is its not just 1 puff down the high street its fucking full of it you cant walk 10 yards without some twat blowing smoke in your direction. and its indeed one of the main reasons i do alot of shopping at meadowhall where you cant smoke inside. if you want to smoke thats fine your life and all that, i just dont think i should have to breathe it in, oh and for the oncoming argument dont go out then, simple as this i aint the one blowing toxic fumes around.
the fact remains its a health risk how anyone can deny this is mind boggling.

smoke in your car fine its your car do what ya like i just hope you dont kill someone in the process ie dropping it on ya bollocks or something like that.

id like to say ban it in the high street while the shops are open but i know thatll never happen. so i make the concession and go to an indoor shopping center

in an ideal world id like everyone to quit the fucking evil things then these bans wouldnt be needed at all.

im not having a go at anyone directly but my uncle died from lung cancer direclty linked to smoking its not something id like to see anyone suffer again.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
OH NO you really want me to fuck off, whatever will I do. I scowl at people who have issues reading no smoking signs, as I said previously smoke all you want, stick some up your arse for extra measure if you choose. As long as i'm not smelling the foul stench I couldn't give a flying fuck.

Did i say anything about no smoking signs? No.

Did i say anything about smoking where there's lots of people? No.

I actually said that if you scowl at people who ARE smoking away from you, you know, considerate people, and you still scowl at them, you can f*ck off.

Putting every smoker in the "you blow smoke in my face" category is just stupid.

FYI; i didn't say you should f*ck off, i said IF.

Calaen

I'm sure the topic is about them trying to get it banned in cars, so why you are bringing your usual ME against the world attitude into it is beyond me.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As you may have guessed i'm the first person to ridicule policies that are not based in actual fact, but I do have to say that if secondhand smoke was to be bad for your health, inside a car would be the most likely
place..saying that you'd have to sit with a 50 a day smoker all day for 40 years before you had the slimmest chance of an effect..or just once for cancer, it's just random chance, backed by your genetic resistance to it.
I do understand why they do it, it's called covering all bases, keeps the lawyers away from the door.
Remember, lawyers will save us and destroy us at the same time.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Hehe funny to see the addicts screaming when someone is trying to interfere with continuous access to their preferred substance.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
They were discussing this on the radio yesterday. Interviewed a serving policeman - he said its unenforceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom