News Doctors want ban on smoking in private vehicles

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
When will it stop?

I've said it before, people inhale far more Carbon Monoxide and far greater amounts of other harmful chemicals just walking down the fucking street. Besides, it's not a law that can be effectively enforced.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Doctors "demand" lots of things; doesn't mean they'll get it though. If a smoking ban in cars ever happens, it will be done on road safety grounds rather than health legislation, and there's a case to answer there; I don't think smoking in a moving car is safe for other road users. As for enforcement; the mobile ban is on the books, so smoking could be handled just as easily.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I will stop smoking in the car when they let me shit in their mouth.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Doctors claimed oral sex is worse then smoking, if i heard it correctly. So...doctors...yeah.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
The thing is a car is private property so trying to ban something that is legal on your property due to health reasons would be a tough one to enforce or even attempt to get passed as legislation.

Politicians have already said it's not being considered.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Leaving health aside, I understand and fully support the ban on mobile phone use in cars. I'm not sure that holding and sucking on a stick then setting it on fire, whilst driving, should be allowed either. Purely on the grounds that whilst you're doing this, your attention probably isn't fully concentrated on the road.

rynnor

Rockhound
Why pass another unenforceable law - look how much good the ban on mobile use did. I have never smoked but I think this is a leap too far.

On the distraction point we should also ban children, wives, girlfriends, mates, car radios and indeed any displays or button's that you have to look down at to use...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Leaving health aside, I understand and fully support the ban on mobile phone use in cars. I'm not sure that holding and sucking on a stick then setting it on fire, whilst driving, should be allowed either. Purely on the grounds that whilst you're doing this, your attention probably isn't fully concentrated on the road.

What next, not allowed to adjust your mirror if it slightly falls away when you're driving? Not allowed to open windows? Change volume on stereo? Even changing gear?

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Hey, it's not my idea.

People who smoke are stupid, sometimes stupid people just need saving from themselves ;)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i dont smoke any more, but personally : ill start giving a flying fuck about their concept of smoking legislation when they do -EXACTLY- the same thing to alcohol.

both - medical reason
one - pandering to voters

they should all be garrotted :/

DaGaffer

On the distraction point we should also ban children, wives, girlfriends, mates, car radios and indeed any displays or button's that you have to look down at to use...

Bit of context here, when you're smoking whilst driving, you have a stick of burning leaves in your hand. Don't tell me that's not a bad combination, because I used to smoke and it just is. I didn't smoke in the car because its self-evident you have reduced control while you have a ciggie on the go (the only time I ever smoked in the car is if I was standing in a traffic jam)

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm not sure it compares to a screaming kid kicking the back of your chair though - or a mate sat next to you jabbering on.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I can't remember the last time I set myself on fire with a cigarette. But then I have adequate control of my bodily functions.

DaGaffer

Try being left-handed and smoking with your right because you need to change gear. For example.

Access Denied

Try being left-handed and smoking with your right because you need to change gear. For example.

Sounds like you need to work on your dexterity to me. I've never had any problems changing hear while holding a cigarette. in my left hand. Right-handed but I dislike steering while holding a ciggie.

DaGaffer

Point........................................................................................................................................................................You

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you have trouble smoking with your off-hand, you really shouldn't be driving :p

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I think all cars should be automatic, changing gear is way too much of a distraction.

Access Denied

I think all cars should be automatic, changing gear is way too much of a distraction.

Blasphemy!! Repent and you shall be saved!!!!!! I don't like automatics, they're a lazy mans car.

Corran

Part of the furniture
To be honest, if they banned phones they should have banned cigs... for same reasons.
It is crazy that they arrest people for eating in the car, but dont do the same to people smoking on the same stretch of roads etc.

Access Denied

And anyway, just for the sake of argument. I may have quit but I found smoking to be no more distracting than changing the station or talking to my passengers, and considerably less distracting than hot female pedestrians...

As for lighting the things in the first place, well you do that when you're stationary. The few times I can think of where I've lit a cigarette on the move I haven't even taken my eyes off the road.

If these doctors had demanded the ban on the grounds that it was a distraction and therefore dangerous I might have called them misguided but at the same time respected their commmitment to saving lives. All they've done with this is to convince me that they're hypocrites.

DaGaffer

To be honest, if they banned phones they should have banned cigs... for same reasons.
It is crazy that they arrest people for eating in the car, but dont do the same to people smoking on the same stretch of roads etc.

Exactly.

NB. Apparently it is illegal already in Scotland, for just that reason.

Access Denied

seriously? if it is then it not advertised or enforced. That is for sure

It's un-enforcable that's why. If cops pulled over every person who smoked in their car then they woudn't have time to do anything else. So even if it is illegal in Scotland the cops are using their common sense and ignoring it because it's a waste of their time.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Hey, it's not my idea.

People who smoke are stupid, sometimes stupid people just need saving from themselves ;)

And sometimes nosey bastards just need to stay the fuck out of peoples business :)
If this was passed what would be next? you can't smoke in your own home if you wish too?
Hello Nazi Germany:cautious:

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Fucking granny state nonsense, soon we won't be able to fart in the bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom