Do A GoA Have The Right To Bannd My Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Bracken said:
If you find him inside your house and hit him over the head with a cricket bat then you'll be fine.

You can aslong as he is inside your house - a number of cases that either the CPS haven't prosecuted or have been found not guilty in court. It's classed as using reasonable force to protect yourself or your property - just have to demonstrate that you were "in fear" of harm to yourself or your family, which if a complete stranger is in your house is quite easy to do ;) Only time it gets tricky is if he is trying to escape, even then if he is still inside the house should be fine.
U might wanna add what country ur from. In Denmark thats illegal! U cannot at any chance attack anyone, even not an intruder, unless its selfdefence. And its not selfdefence hitting some1 in the head even tho he broke into ur home, but is not in any way threatening u. Actually, my dentist got tired of junkies breaking into his practise to steal medical stuff that he a couple of nights slept at the office in hope of cathing the junkie. He did, and he spanked his ass... good! The police later arrested the dentist for use of violence! (yea yea, I too was amazed thinking "sick sick world!"). But taking the circumstances in consideration he only got a fine and a 6 month "betinget" sentance (danish ppl, please translate that, im at work ;) - he didnt go to jail, but if he commits an illegal act in 6 months he will).

soze

I am a FH squatter
Meduza said:
U might wanna add what country ur from. In Denmark thats illegal! U cannot at any chance attack anyone, even not an intruder, unless its selfdefence. And its not selfdefence hitting some1 in the head even tho he broke into ur home, but is not in any way threatening u. Actually, my dentist got tired of junkies breaking into his practise to steal medical stuff that he a couple of nights slept at the office in hope of cathing the junkie. He did, and he spanked his ass... good! The police later arrested the dentist for use of violence! (yea yea, I too was amazed thinking "sick sick world!"). But taking the circumstances in consideration he only got a fine and a 6 month "betinget" sentance (danish ppl, please translate that, im at work ;) - he didnt go to jail, but if he commits an illegal act in 6 months he will).

In england you can use resonable force, so if the guy had a knife and was goingfor you then swing away, but if hes cowering in the corner like a little girl and you hit him with the bat then you go to prison.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Meduza said:

See why I love Greece? Break into my house, I'll hand you your ass for breakfast, hang you up to dry, then I'll be on the TV as well as a hero :p

Feyd

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
I still 'like' the law they resently passed in Florida US, where it is now legal to shoot someone if you just feelt threatend by them.

I wonder when you will see this court transcript:
Procecuter: You shot and killed that niggar on a public street, didnt you?
Defendant: Yes, but it was self defence.
Procecuter: How can it be that, he didnt do anything to you !
Defendant: He looked at me in a bad manner - i feelt threatend
Procecuter: How can you feel threatened?. The man was in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down.
Defendant: It looked like he was gonne get out of the wheelchair, bite my ancles and steal my shoes, so i shot him in self defence.
Procecute: But did you warn him before you pulled out your 'dirty harry' magnum?
Defendant: No, i didnt have to - i felt threatend so i shot him.
<later>
Judge: I here by declare the defendant not guilty, it was an act of self defence. You are free to go. Case closed. Next self defence case please.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
In england you can use resonable force, so if the guy had a knife and was goingfor you then swing away

He wouldn't have to have a knife - if he was in your kitchen in the middle of the night you would have every right to give him a beating. Even whacking him with round the head with a cricket bat has been deemed acceptible in an actual case - a complete stranger in your house in the middle of the night is enough for you to reasonably claim you were "in fear". It's a common misconception that the law favours the burglar, it doesn't. It just makes a good slogan in the press ;)

(yes I know it's gone off track but still kind of interesting :p)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Bracken said:
He wouldn't have to have a knife - if he was in your kitchen in the middle of the night you would have every right to give him a beating. Even whacking him with round the head with a cricket bat has been deemed acceptible in an actual case - a complete stranger in your house in the middle of the night is enough for you to reasonably claim you were "in fear". It's a common misconception that the law favours the burglar, it doesn't. It just makes a good slogan in the press ;)

Personally id smack them then put a knife in there hand, see police reasonable force!!!!!

I know the law changed recently after the shooting guy got out of prison did not know it had changed for the good though.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Feyd said:
I still 'like' the law they resently passed in Florida US, where it is now legal to shoot someone if you just feelt threatend by them.

I wonder when you will see this court transcript:
Procecuter: You shot and killed that niggar on a public street, didnt you?
Defendant: Yes, but it was self defence.
Procecuter: How can it be that, he didnt do anything to you !
Defendant: He looked at me in a bad manner - i feelt threatend
Procecuter: How can you feel threatened?. The man was in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down.
Defendant: It looked like he was gonne get out of the wheelchair, bite my ancles and steal my shoes, so i shot him in self defence.
Procecute: But did you warn him before you pulled out your 'dirty harry' magnum?
Defendant: No, i didnt have to - i felt threatend so i shot him.
<later>
Judge: I here by declare the defendant not guilty, it was an act of self defence. You are free to go. Case closed. Next self defence case please.

One could just hope that law backfires (literaly) on Jeb Bush and his friends.

It's not just the rich that can claim self-defense/feeling threatened. :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Azathrim said:
It's not just the rich that can claim self-defense/feeling threatened. :)
But it's only the rich who will have the expensive lawyers able to twist the new law in their favor... ;)

Marc

FH is my second home
Bracken said:

Just cos u find a burlgar in your home, doesnt give you the right to twat them round the head with a cricket bat. There is a fine line between excessive force and protecting yourself. If the burglar says "its a fair cop guv, sorry for trying to rob you, i will leave right away" and then you go and stomp his guts out, you yourself are looking at a long stretch at her majesty's pleasure. If he came at you in a threating way, you have every right to protect yourself. You knock him out and tie him up, job done. Stomping on his head is not "protecting yourself". Youve just got to be careful how far you go as you could still be liable for prosecution.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
I know the law changed recently after the shooting guy got out of prison did not know it had changed for the good though.

I'm not sure the law has actually changed.

The reason he got into prison was that he hadn't grabbed a gun and shot it in fear at the intruder. He'd sat up waiting for the intruder, then shot him as he ran away. It was the intent that gave the guilty verdict.

Darzil

soze

I am a FH squatter
Darzil said:
I'm not sure the law has actually changed.

The reason he got into prison was that he hadn't grabbed a gun and shot it in fear at the intruder. He'd sat up waiting for the intruder, then shot him as he ran away. It was the intent that gave the guilty verdict.

Darzil

I though there was alot in the news about the law changing when he was released might be wrong though

Marc

FH is my second home
soze said:
I though there was alot in the news about the law changing when he was released might be wrong though

it has changed. But there is this myth that u can do whatever you like to a burglar if you find them in your home. This is horseshit. You can use reasonable force. Thats it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Marc said:
it has changed. But there is this myth that u can do whatever you like to a burglar if you find them in your home. This is horseshit. You can use reasonable force. Thats it.

Thats what i said in my first post you can uses resonable force if hes armed and coming at you twat him if hes cowering in the corner leave him and phone the police.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
soze said:
resonable force if hes armed

You've got arms right?
Burglar: Ye..ye....yes...
Right. And you came into my house.
Burglar: I...i...yes bu
Right. Now be a nice boy and stay still while i load my 12 gauge...
Burglar: But i just came to read the gasmeter!!

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Some people have the odd fetish of announcing their lowlike online personality on forums.

And he even copies in the "omg I am selling this on ebay nub" part :D

Gimmlythedorf said:
[05/09/05 21:52:52] [Login ID][Mrpenetrator]:[&send Encyptor look on ebay for user xxxx]
[05/09/05 21:52:58] [Login ID][Mrpenetrator]:[&send Encyptor see what im selling nub]

Ahaha too funneh

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
I want to live in the US too.
Id just hang signs sayng "Trespassers will be shot" all over my fences and wait for the mailman to come calling with a shotgun filled with salt.

But dear judge I was just protecting my home !

soze

I am a FH squatter
Marath said:
Id just hang signs sayng "Trespassers will be shot" all over my fences and wait for the mailman to come calling with a shotgun filled with salt.

It would be wrong not to shoot him you dont know what his got in that bag of his!!

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Marath said:

No no no!

Better one:

"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again!"

;)

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Just cos u find a burlgar in your home, doesnt give you the right to twat them round the head with a cricket bat. There is a fine line between excessive force and protecting yourself. If the burglar says "its a fair cop guv, sorry for trying to rob you, i will leave right away" and then you go and stomp his guts out, you yourself are looking at a long stretch at her majesty's pleasure. If he came at you in a threating way, you have every right to protect yourself. You knock him out and tie him up, job done. Stomping on his head is not "protecting yourself". Youve just got to be careful how far you go as you could still be liable for prosecution.

Let's face it a burglar isn't going to sit down and say "It's a fair cop" ( and I know a fair few of them ;)). Likewise he doesn't have to actually threaten you for you to hit him round the head.

Basic principle is this: If you act honestly and instinctively to protect yourself, your family, your property or prevent a crime being committed then you have acted within the law. There is an actual case of someone who found a burglar in their house at night and hit them round the head with a cricket bat. They were let off (I'm not sure the CPS even prosecuted them). The reason being that finding someone in your house in the middle of the night it can be considered an instinctive reaction to being in fear to grab whatever is to hand (in this case a cricket bat) and use it to protect yourself or your property. Where it goes beyond reasonable force is where there is pre-meditation about it, or you are seeking to "punish" the burglar. Tony Martin was found guilty of manslaughter because he had set traps, had unlicenced guns and shot a man in the back who was already half way out of the property. That showed he was beyond reasonable force.

The Crown Prosecution Service state that the burden of proof in cases like this rest with the prosecution to PROVE (beyond reasonable doubt) the following:

"The burden of proof remains with the prosecution when the issue of self-defence is raised. The prosecution must adduce sufficient evidence to satisfy a jury beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant was either:

1. not acting to defence himself/herself or another; or

2. not acting to defend property; or

3. not acting to prevent a crime or to apprehend an offender; or

4. if he was so acting, the force used was excessive. "

Aslong as you are honestly acting instinctively to a situation where you are "in fear" and not just to "punish" the burglar then you are acting legally - even if that results in serious injury or even death to the burglar. The CPS states:

"It is important to ensure that all those acting reasonably and in good faith to defend themselves, their family, their property or in the prevention of crime or the apprehension of offenders are not prosecuted for such action."

And finally...

"The final consequences of a course may not be relevant to the issue as to whether the force used was reasonable. Although the accused's conduct resulted in severe injuries or even death, the conduct may well have been reasonable in the circumstances."

It's also a mistake to think the law has changed. It hasn't. That principle has been there as far back as Offences against the Person Act 1861.

Long post but work is quiet at the moment and it's good debate :p

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
"- Article in the General Conditions:

GOA reserves the right to temporarily suspend or definitively terminate your subscription, effective immediately, in the event of:
- and more generally in the event of behaviour that GOA, at its entire discretion, judges harmful to its interests or to those of DAOC users."

Records and SS of a char on your account telling someone INGAME to go to ebay and look at a someone selling a hack of some kind. I class that as harmful to DaoC users tbh.

:cheers: Good work GOA!

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
People often confuse UK law with US law which says if someone unlawfully enters your house you are allowed to use any force against them - it's perfectly legal to just shoot someone who breaks into your house even if they are unarmed and cowering in the corner in the US.

Incidentally I don't think it works on mailmen (as they are government officials), nor does it apply if you invite them in. ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
think we probably getting a bit off topic now :) but feel free to continue the debate on law in a new thread (probably in OT ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom