Details confirmed for HMV

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
The codes work like this:

You will create an account on the war-europe site when the billing pages are ready and there you will have the opportunity to put in your codes from the pre-order.

Open beta could* begin before the game goes gold - i.e. before the final game disks are pressed and the actual game boxes are sent to stores. Because of this, your open beta access isn't linked specifically to a CE. Remember that all open beta characters will be wiped at the end.

The headstart could potentially** begin before your pre-ordered CE arrives in your hands and so to account for that, you'll be able to play the headstart up to and a few days after live release before you need to put in the licence key for your CE. If you don't put in a valid CE licence key after this grace period then the account you were using will be deactivated and you'll need to start a new account if you want to keep on playing.

Disclaimers:
*Could. This is a pure guess by me and isn't based on anything except the way I've seen other releases proceed. Don't assume anything about the timing of open beta or the state of the game from this.
** Potentially. The game will be sent out to stores once it's gone gold (see above) and the stores will then need to send it to you. Depending on the lateness of the gold master and the duration of the open beta as well as the efficiency of the store and the postal service in your part of the world, there are no guarantees that pre-ordering will deliver a box to you before live release - hence the grace period.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
The codes work like this:

You will create an account on the war-europe site when the billing pages are ready and there you will have the opportunity to put in your codes from the pre-order.

Open beta could* begin before the game goes gold - i.e. before the final game disks are pressed and the actual game boxes are sent to stores. Because of this, your open beta access isn't linked specifically to a CE. Remember that all open beta characters will be wiped at the end.

The headstart could potentially** begin before your pre-ordered CE arrives in your hands and so to account for that, you'll be able to play the headstart up to and a few days after live release before you need to put in the licence key for your CE. If you don't put in a valid CE licence key after this grace period then the account you were using will be deactivated and you'll need to start a new account if you want to keep on playing.

Disclaimers:
*Could. This is a pure guess by me and isn't based on anything except the way I've seen other releases proceed. Don't assume anything about the timing of open beta or the state of the game from this.
** Potentially. The game will be sent out to stores once it's gone gold (see above) and the stores will then need to send it to you. Depending on the lateness of the gold master and the duration of the open beta as well as the efficiency of the store and the postal service in your part of the world, there are no guarantees that pre-ordering will deliver a box to you before live release - hence the grace period.

So if I understand correctly from what you say HMV selling the codes whilst allowing you to pre order a standard edition will get you into open beta and will get you into the headstart program but once the grace period is over you will lose everything done in the headstart and have to start over?

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
So if I understand correctly from what you say HMV selling the codes whilst allowing you to pre order a standard edition will get you into open beta and will get you into the headstart program but once the grace period is over you will lose everything done in the headstart and have to start over?

Oh dear! if this is indeed the case HMV have dropped a rather large gonad by not taking details correctly, as if they then sell the CE's just to anyone and the pre-order folks can't get it the live head start would of been pointless.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
Could. This is a pure guess by me and isn't based on anything except the way I've seen other releases proceed.
what releases?
ive never known a mmo to do that.

extra codes have just been extra codes always and not tied to any collectors edition

IainC

what releases?
ive never known a mmo to do that.

extra codes have just been extra codes always and not tied to any collectors edition

The 'could' refers to the game going gold before open beta. As in 'The open beta could begin before the game goes gold.'

The bit about the codes being tied to a CE I'm 100% sure on and there's no 'could' about any of that.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
IainC - will you accept however that the community has very little faith in HMV at this point and what can be done about it?

IainC

HMV will have been briefed along with every other retailer by EA Europe. I'm very sure that they will handle the pre-order correctly despite individual staff not being fully up to speed. At the very worst, if you turn up to collect your CE with your pre-order receipt in hand and they don't handle it properly then a chat to the manager should sort it out.

There will always be till staff that haven't been fully briefed, as long as the chain knows what to do then there won't be a problem. The same goes for any retailer.

The item on their website isn't the pre-order pack, it's the CE only (i.e. without all the pre-order bonuses). This is essentially a 'normal pre-order' (i.e. the sort of pre-order that every retailer would normally offer for forthcoming games). It doesn't mean that they are going to sell your pre-reserved copies or that they will just put their entire stock up for all and sundry. It's just because the thing has to be in their system for their tills to handle it.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
my wife went into town today so i told her to pop into HMV.

NEWCASTLE HMV says they arent taking peoples details, they have never heard of it just bring down the receipt and the pre order pack on release day.

I'm going to make sure i get there for when the store opens just incase they dont have many in stock when the day comes.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
If everyone buys the CED and everyone gets into the headstart thingie, is it still a headstart? :)

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
If everyone buys the CED and everyone gets into the headstart thingie, is it still a headstart? :)
everyone cant buy it when theres only 55,000 copys for europe and theres going to be alot more subscribers than that

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
If I've read it right above, your preorder pack gives you an account you can login X days early , to continue with that account you need to activate it with a collectors edition key.

Your preorder pack gives you a discount on your collectors edition (assuming you take it with your receipt to HMV)

Presumably each store knows how many preorder packs they'll have sold, therefore how many CE's they should keep around... but personally I'd get to the store as soon as I could after the CE boxed editions on sale.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
If I've read it right above, your preorder pack gives you an account you can login X days early , to continue with that account you need to activate it with a collectors edition key.

Your preorder pack gives you a discount on your collectors edition (assuming you take it with your receipt to HMV)

Presumably each store knows how many preorder packs they'll have sold, therefore how many CE's they should keep around... but personally I'd get to the store as soon as I could after the CE boxed editions on sale.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get a few days of work so I can play un-interupted for the first few days!!!!

Thats why I'm so desperate for a release so I can get my holiday request in!!!

Nate

FH is my second home
As I don't need the Open Beta Key can I give it to a friend Req? Or is it something thats also required to get the head start/ce in release?

SonicBorg

Regular Freddie
HMV will have been briefed along with every other retailer by EA Europe. I'm very sure that they will handle the pre-order correctly despite individual staff not being fully up to speed. At the very worst, if you turn up to collect your CE with your pre-order receipt in hand and they don't handle it properly then a chat to the manager should sort it out.

There will always be till staff that haven't been fully briefed, as long as the chain knows what to do then there won't be a problem. The same goes for any retailer.

The item on their website isn't the pre-order pack, it's the CE only (i.e. without all the pre-order bonuses). This is essentially a 'normal pre-order' (i.e. the sort of pre-order that every retailer would normally offer for forthcoming games). It doesn't mean that they are going to sell your pre-reserved copies or that they will just put their entire stock up for all and sundry. It's just because the thing has to be in their system for their tills to handle it.

my local HMV are not even allowing the pre-orders to be done right now. :(

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
HMV's system wasn't set up to take customer details upon selling the pre-orders for the 1st few days.

Anyone who has already bought the pre-order pack from HMV (note that on their system they call it something like 'beta entry pack'), should go back to the store sometime before the CEs are released and insist that your details are put into the system to reserve you a copy.

If need be, explain that in order to obtain the in game items (which you have already payed for with the pre-order pack) you're going to need a CE licence key. And seeing as the CE is theoretically limited in number you need to have one set aside for you.

Also I'm guessing that you would need a CE key to keep any character you make during (and therefore any real benefit from) the 'headstart'. Again you have already payed for this, and from my reading of Iain's post, you would loose the headstart characters/account if you fail to get a CE key.

If you explain this, and at worse case force the sales person to phone and check with their games head office, im pretty sure you can guarantee yourself a copy.

edit Take your copy of the CE pre-oder pack and receipt too of course.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
i nipped down to town again after reading your reply to this thread seeing as i only live 20minutes walk from HMV.

this is the 3rd time ive been and there still insisting they dont take pre order details for warhammer online collectors edition just come back on release day.
i tried explaining it all each time... seems most there staff members are retarded.

how hard can it be to let someone pre order properly? they obviously do it for other things because they had signs up about the pre order for GTA4 still.

ive done a pre order @ play.com instead.

Kuldiin

Fledgling Freddie
Is it possible to register the keys to your account yet?

I have a War Beta account (website ) but couldnt see anywhere to enter the Beta key from the pack I picked up in HMV.

I notice on the War website it says to goto your profile and enter the Beta key part, where you can enter the codes. I must be going blind, cannot see it anywhere

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
Is it possible to register the keys to your account yet?

I have a War Beta account (website ) but couldnt see anywhere to enter the Beta key from the pack I picked up in HMV.

I notice on the War website it says to goto your profile and enter the Beta key part, where you can enter the codes. I must be going blind, cannot see it anywhere
Not been sorted yet, they will let us know when that part of the site is ready.

undivied

Fledgling Freddie
Like I said, I'll go back with my receipt and pack on release day

if you go back and get it on the release day then the open beta and head start will be worthless. that leads me onto a another point how do you get the open beta and head start stuff/codes anyway?

i also have another question

are hmv doing the head start and open beta because they have not said anything on their site about it. they have said about the extra quest and character titles, mouse pad ect. but nothing about the open beta and head start that what I really want the CE for anyway so if i dont get them there really no point for me to get the CE when it like £30-40. I mean the mouse pad and character faces and title will be great but i could do with the £30-40 more

ok that a bit long for some ppl to find the question so here the short vision:

are hmv doing the head start and open beta and how will i get them?

sorry for the extra long question but that they way i am

undivied

Fledgling Freddie
seems most there staff members are retarded.

wow you hit the nail on the head. i have not tired preordering War CE from hmv yet. but i tired preorder some other game one time they just stared at me like i just ask them to let me pre order a 12-gauge shotgun and M16.

undivied

Fledgling Freddie
I've just been reading a few other posts and threads. And i still do not get how you get the open beta and headstart code before the game's release. Because headstart and beta codes will be useless when the game has been release because the beta will be closed and it not really a head start if the game been relased

undivied

Fledgling Freddie
sorry for the mass of post. but I want to make sure hmv dont "scam me" by being to retarded to know what a head start means never mind a beta.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
well i know that here in ireland theres a preorder box thats on the shelves for i think €17... the codes are inside and basically u hold onto the codes til goa and ea | mythic announce that its open beta session.... dont think hmv have the rights to sell the preorder (open beta / earlier start) online - that went to play.com iirc

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
Yes Play.com are the online sellers for the pre-order pack, for HMV it has to be 'on the high street'. The HMV website CE is JUST the CE with no pre-order.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
All European distribution is being handled by EA Europe. Dubai isn't part of our licenced territory to the best of my knowledge so I doubt that there will be any official channels for buying the game there. The rest of the world is covered by EA Mythic but I cannot tell you anything about their plans for the Middle East I'm afraid.

Imagine my suprise at walking into Virgin Megastore in the Diera City Centre Mall, Dubai and seeing Warhammer - Pre Order! Complete with huge posters and cutouts. That's more advertising than I ever saw in the UK for DAOC :)

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Imagine my suprise at walking into Virgin Megastore in the Diera City Centre Mall, Dubai and seeing Warhammer - Pre Order! Complete with huge posters and cutouts. That's more advertising than I ever saw in the UK for DAOC :)

Or for the UK for that matter!

The staff in HMV are clueless.... nevermind having posters and cutouts!

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
yea theyre clueless the HMV i was in had GTA 4 pre order posters up though even though GTA was already out for some days lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom