Decent File Server Case

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Can anyone recommend a decent ATX case to build a file server around? Needs to be able to accomodate 4 drives and a full size RAID card. Looking for one that's not too tall as well if that's at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
Antec cases are good.

I have the PianoBlack mid-tower case and the quality is very good. The case is heavy as it's steel rather than aluminium but I don't see the problem with that as I tend not to swing mine round the room much!

The case has 5 x 5.25" internal, 2 x 3.5" and 2 x 5.25" with faceplates. It's also very quiet.

They also do a variety of other cases for larger applications and perspex sides for those that want to show how ugly the guts of a PC are!

Despite my recent "issues" with them - I'd recommend jumping onto overclockers and looking at the case selections there.... you can always order elsewhere! :)

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Chieftec is always good (and are basicly the same cases as antec but with a lesser price tag )

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
i've picked up a couple of cheap cases from Mplex.com lately which hold up to 6 ide drives no problem.. the Moonlight Black ATX Case is similar to the one i've got for my box "toaster" and the 4 scsi and 2 IDE drives are fine, with space left for a floppy.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Insane said:
i've picked up a couple of cheap cases from Mplex.com lately which hold up to 6 ide drives no problem.. the Moonlight Black ATX Case is similar to the one i've got for my box "toaster" and the 4 scsi and 2 IDE drives are fine, with space left for a floppy.

Looks nice. Does that have fixed drive bays?

The problem I've been finding is that there are not a lot of cases that have the depth to accomodate a full size RAID card. The common problem is that, while the case is physically big enough to accomodate the card, the drive bays are essentially two metal struts that cannot be removed. So, without butchering the case, it leaves me stuck.

The only other option is to go 'full tower' but I hate these cases - Far too tall.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Not considered a pci riser card (90 degree jobby) for the raid card? Oh and i believe lian li and a couple of other like people do removable drive cages which would allow you to be more flexible in card / drive positioning without physically harming the case.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Gurnox said:
Looks nice. Does that have fixed drive bays?
two pieces of metal from under where the standard drive bay cage goes (2x hard drives, 1x floppy) right down to the base of the case, a full length PCI raid card wont fit in as the farthest piece of metal blocks it (i tested it with my old DPT board)

Chieftec/antec are okay cases for standard, but slap 6 drives into one of them and you'll see issues straight away.. their removable IDE cages are great but when you got one fully loaded it can start getting hot in the "sandwich" created.

unless you can lay your hands on one of those really old Compaq Proliant servers from '95 there isnt really any way of easily managing 6 drives in a midi-tower with a full raid array... plus imagine the heat buildup :eek:

what about the Coolermaster ATC-200? its not on the coolermaster site but ebuyer have more details on it.. dont know if they have stopped making it or what tho :(

Will

/bin/su
You could try to get hold of a Globalwin 802 case, maybe on ebay. They have lots of room for drives, and are very easy to work with.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Insane said:
two pieces of metal from under where the standard drive bay cage goes (2x hard drives, 1x floppy) right down to the base of the case, a full length PCI raid card wont fit in as the farthest piece of metal blocks it (i tested it with my old DPT board)

Chieftec/antec are okay cases for standard, but slap 6 drives into one of them and you'll see issues straight away.. their removable IDE cages are great but when you got one fully loaded it can start getting hot in the "sandwich" created.

unless you can lay your hands on one of those really old Compaq Proliant servers from '95 there isnt really any way of easily managing 6 drives in a midi-tower with a full raid array... plus imagine the heat buildup :eek:

what about the Coolermaster ATC-200? its not on the coolermaster site but ebuyer have more details on it.. dont know if they have stopped making it or what tho :(

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions/offers to flog me cases. Appreciated.

Yes, I must admit that the thought of having four drives slowly cooking inside my case does worry me. The idea of looking for an old Proliant, or even an HP Netserver, on E-Bay is a distinct possibility too. Only problem with server grade kit is that people often have pretty over-inflated ideas of what their 5 year old systems are worth. Also, some of the old Compaq/HP kit was pretty non-standard. I want to avoid getting the drill out if I can.

I did find some possibilites from a company called TNC. They do a kind of 'Coffee table on wheels' job that looks as though it might fit the bill perfectly. Dread to think what they might charge for it tho :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom