News Death by Speed Camera

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh well.

He was doing 78 in a 50. He saw the camera, braked and lost control. Whose fault is that then? I'm as anti speed cameras as the next motorist but if he hadn't been speeding (especially if he hadn't been going over half as much again over the limit)...

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Accident investigator PC John Hayward told the inquest that the four-year-old 1000cc Suzuki GSXR sports bike was not fitted with anti-lock brakes.

We've all done it, FUCK A CAMERA and broke heavily but he should not have such a powerful bike for his riding skill. Fuck the ABS, anyone riding that bike should be able to break in a straight line on a motorway/carriage way without locking the brakes. And 70mph? I've emergency braked a lot on Yamaha Nouvo scooter at that speed with out locking the brakes, let alone a GSR.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Nobody's fault but himself I'm afraid nearly 80 mile an hour in a 50 zone? Retard.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm torn between feeling condolences to the family, or just that there is one less twat on the roads.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If he wasn't speeding, he would still be alive.

(probably)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Heh, when I saw the title I thought some nefarious speed camera had gone on some sort of murdering rampage. :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Blame the word limit on titles - its not possible to shorten things without losing info.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm torn between feeling condolences to the family, or just that there is one less twat on the roads.

Both in my case. I feel for the family but i couldn't give a shit about the guy himself...

His stupidity, his responsibility. Just to bad that his family gets to suffer for it.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
78 in a 50 zone is fucking retarded.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I hate that retarded is used so much to describe internet/stupid people. Its insulting to retards.

On topic though; shame, lost life etc, but own fault.

Corran

Part of the furniture
The guy is an idiot, so no loss there. Sorry for family mind you.
If you cant control the vehicle then dont speed in first place . . . cameras are a waste of time (hell this shows you why). . . only slow you for 100yrds if you gonna speed anyways. . . but cant blame the camera. And if such a minor thing caused him to crash then he likely would have crashed and died on the bike at some point anyways. Better to happen because of a camera rather then because of a child crossing the road and him losing control and killing both..

Giving that I saw recently what a bike can do to a living being in recent times (few weeks back a biker hit a sheep up the road from me and literally cut the animal in half) it more important that it wasnt done whilst hitting someone

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lots of people who are ready to denounce the guy as a "retard" or an "idiot" who "deserved it" - it being death for driving over the speed limit.

I mean, if he had kids he may have been a wonderful father, top boyfriend, alcoholic wanker. Who knows? But he deserves death for speeding here:

A338_from_bridge.jpg

Ooooh. This dumb fucker definitely deserved to die for doing 78 on a dual carriageway. :eek:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Oh well.

He was doing 78 in a 50. He saw the camera, braked and lost control. Whose fault is that then? I'm as anti speed cameras as the next motorist but if he hadn't been speeding (especially if he hadn't been going over half as much again over the limit)...

The purpose of the camera van is supposedly to make the roads safer (yeah right, ching ching more like). The motorcyclist reacted to its presence, lost control, and died as a result.

Of course the accident was his fault, but the authorities cannot be allowed to ignore the fact that had the van not been there, he would still have been alive.

Oh and 79 in a 50 is, in many instances, perfectly safe. Calling him a twat for doing that speed is pathetic.

Syri

FH is my second home
If the speed limit is set at 50, for whatever reason, and you flaunt that, it's on your own head that you do so. If you get away with it, good for you, but if you get caught out, the consequences are your own, and nobody else's. If you disagree with the limit, by all means feel free to protest it, but in the meantime, while it's set, you hold ALL responsibility for any consequences of you breaking that limit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If the speed limit is set at 50, for whatever reason, and you flaunt that, it's on your own head that you do so. If you get away with it, good for you, but if you get caught out, the consequences are your own, and nobody else's. If you disagree with the limit, by all means feel free to protest it, but in the meantime, while it's set, you hold ALL responsibility for any consequences of you breaking that limit.

What's the speed limit here?

google streetview

See if you get it right.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Always a shame when someone dies, but if you take those risks...

While I'm not a fan of speed cameras, I can't stand people that race around like morons, ignoring the safety of others.

People can argue as much as they like that its "not that fast" or "but it's a dual carriageway" The fact that he lost control and crashed or whatever shows he wasn't really capable of driving at those speeds.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If the speed limit is set at 50, for whatever reason, and you flaunt that, it's on your own head that you do so.

If the government goes Nazi and the law says burn jews, but you get shot for hiding them from the authorities then it's your fault.

Saying "obey the law" wins all arguments - BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW :eek:

OBEY THE LAW AT ALL TIMES!

FFS. It's obvious that the camera was the cause of the accident. Him speeding just exacerbated the problem - but the problem was created by the camera.

If he can't control his bike on a road that straight, you only strengthen the point about his stupidity.

That's weak Roo. Really fucking weak. Daily Fail weak.

Or do stupid people all deserve to die? I mean, if that's the point you're making....

Syri

FH is my second home
If the government goes Nazi and the law says burn jews, but you get shot for hiding them from the authorities then it's your fault.

Saying "obey the law" wins all arguments - BECAUSE IT'S THE LAW :eek:

OBEY THE LAW AT ALL TIMES!

FFS. It's obvious that the camera was the cause of the accident. Him speeding just exacerbated the problem - but the problem was created by the camera.

That's weak Roo. Really fucking weak. Daily Fail weak.

Or do stupid people all deserve to die? I mean, if that's the point you're making....

If you went against the law, regardless of whether it was morally correct or not, then it was that decision that led to your fate. If you don't agree with the law, there are appropriate avenues to protest it. If you break those laws though, while they are actively enforced, then you are submitting yourself to the consequences of your doing so.
It doesn't matter if you agree with the speed limit at that point, the limit is set though, at 50, and he was clearly in excess of that. Hell, even if it was national speed limit, that's 70, so he'd STILL be speeding. He made a conscious choice to flaunt the law, and it just happened someone was there to enforce it, he panicked, and lost his life from it. You can say it's a tragic loss of life all you like, you can say it shouldn't be a 50 limit until you're blue in the face. The fact is though, it IS a 50 limit, like it or not, he was speeding, he panicked as he thought he'd get points, he lost it, end of.
The camera may have been the reason he decided to brake, but the fact he was breaking the speed limit was the reason the camera made him brake. His choice, his consequences. I feel sorry for his family, but to say the blame lies anywhere but with him wouldn't be right. He took a risk, it didn't pay off.

Whether the speed limit is appropriate, and whether cameras should be used, they are two completely separate matters, and open to their own debates. In this case though, his choice to go outside of the laws in place, and also his inability to control his vehicle braking at speed, led to his death.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy

He wasn't in control of his bike. Therefore he didn't know his own capabilities, the capabilities of his bike when moving at the speed he chose to ride, the road itself, or any combo of the above.

I'm not seeing any mitigating circumstances such as oil on the road, ice, poor driving from other road users that forced him off, etc. Just a day where he was riding without regard, panicked when he thought he was going to get a ticket and got himself killed.

I'm not saying he was a bad person. The kindest that could be said would be that he excercised poor judgement.

I've often enough seen the results of these kind of things that get not only the initiator of the incident killed but other people too.

So yeh. The guy was an idiot.

rynnor

Rockhound
Personally I think Gimmly was probably on the right track about too powerfull a bike for his level of skill but I was also suprised that a 1000cc bike doesnt have ABS - is that common?

If he had ABS he'd probably still be alive.

Soazak

Part of the furniture

Bit far fetched no? Blaming the deterant. Driving anything can be dangerous, he increased his risks, but you can hardly blame the speed camera. Would you have taken the same view if rather than a Gatso, it was an unmarked police car that started flashing him when he drove past?

I'm sure it would have been a different story completely had someone else been hurt as a result of his actions

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Personally I think Gimmly was probably on the right track about too powerfull a bike for his level of skill but I was also suprised that a 1000cc bike doesnt have ABS - is that common?

If he had ABS he'd probably still be alive.
Common on brand new bikes in the last year or so. But still some people don't like it so they have with out too. But if he did lock the brakes, ABS would have saved his life it does work well.

Do you know if he locked the front or the back? Seems a low speed to die at, I'm guessing he locked the front, went over the handle bars and got run over? Or he locked the rear into a slide and let go of the rear brake, aka a high side slide. they can be downright nasty but you get thrown up in the air before you hit the floor at speed.

Either way he had no business on that bike, it's a heavy racing bike and quite an animal. I've had a go on the same bike on a track and slide the back out a little, scared me for sure.

He's got 170mph racing bike and hes braking like a noob at 70mph in a straight line, death trap.

Kryten

Old Cow.
He was a twat, simple.
Yes, he could have been a "wonderful father, etc etc etc" but obviously not wonderful enough to protect his own and other people's lives by driving/riding at or under the speed limit, to the conditions of the road and to his capabilities on the bike. Accidents happen and they are indeed tragic. Breaking the speed limit in that manner is making those accidents far more likely and puts yourself square at fault if something goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom