Dc .6

A

adams901

Looks nice, and im sure I will have fun flying it, also looks like it may be a flying spawn point but I think a Chinook would be a nice addition.

My only complaint is the maps are still to small, you take off in a chopper and are almost garaunteed to meet an enemy plane within a few seconds. As planes only need one missle to kill a chopper it makes things rather short lived. I personaly think maps should be big enough to make you look for an enemy plane and make it less likely for you to fly from one side of the map to the other in less than 10 seconds.

B

Brass Monkeys

Originally posted by adams901
Looks nice, and im sure I will have fun flying it, also looks like it may be a flying spawn point but I think a Chinook would be a nice addition.

That would be a nice addition. Im sure I read somewhere that they were thinking of bringing in "vehicle" transporter helicopters

Possibly:
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/eh101/eh1015.html

or the one used in the film "Swordfish" transporting the coach over the city.

Anyone read this or was I seeing things?

[/B]
My only complaint is the maps are still to small, you take off in a chopper and are almost garaunteed to meet an enemy plane within a few seconds. As planes only need one missle to kill a chopper it makes things rather short lived. I personaly think maps should be big enough to make you look for an enemy plane and make it less likely for you to fly from one side of the map to the other in less than 10 seconds. [/B]

Agreed. The maps should be bigger, especially if jet fighters are involved.

I hate taking off in a blackhawk/apache then getting blown up less than 100ft above ground.

Wonder if they will be bring a "missle lock" warning system? or would that involve alot of programming? [if it can be done?]

X

xane

They need to revise the Helicopter Gunships, they are impossible to kill with an AA gun ! You start shooting them and they simply turn around and missile you, all types of AA gun are way too weedy.

It's been an ongoing problem in BF1942 generally, both in the original game and the mods, the aircraft are way too powerful having far too much damage resistance and almost unlimited bombs. Shooting a plane three times in the front engine should finish it off, yet in a contest between a divebombing Stuka and an AA gun you never seem to win.

Saying all that, why aren't Stingers guided like in real life ?

A

adams901

stingers take out choppers in one shot if they hit the right place, if they dont hit the right place they reduce a chopper to a very low health.

AA guns are being replaced by sam sites, but even so, AA guns take out jet fighters and choppers quite easily depending on where they hit (Cdr will confirm this as he has been victim to my AA fire a few times). Obviously the higher the aircraft is the hard it is to kill them.

Either way stinger more than make up for any weakness.

F

F!nch3

I thought Stinger missiles were meant to be heat seeking anyway???

Or then maybe not!!

I don't know anymore!

T

throdgrain

I thought that too Finche, but there not, they just go off in the proximity , apparently :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Real stingers are indeed seeking of some form of other.

But i dont think its possible with the Battlefield Engine to make them lock on. And if they could they would also need targeting warnings and counter-measures for the pilots.

Getting into flight sim land here :)

L

Looney888

Deadmanwalking is correct, without access to an sdk it's immpossible to code any sort of guidance on to missiles.

Also just looked at the DC site and there are pictures of..... A new Nimtz Aircraft Carrier for .6 :O

A

adams901

it's hard enough to survive a stinger attack as it is, if they introduce guided stingers they may as well remove the aircraft.

I notice they continue to update and improve significant Coalition weaponry and add a token update to the Iraqis. At this rate the game will be so unbalanced everyone will want to play as Coalition (like they do already).

M

Megatron

The game would be much more balanced if they based it on say early 1980's in a fictional confrontation between NATO and the Soviet Union.

You could have such a massive variation in equipment and the majority (if not all) of the equipment currently in the game was present in the suggested time period. While the current USA vs Iraq setting may appeal to the modern day situation, its still not accurate so why not go the whole hog and alter the setting.
Just a thought!

Also id love to see a decent sea based map. Possible the coalition defending an air craft carrier or convoy against enemy subs and ships?

On the above mentions of the stinger, it is indeed a heatseeking missle as far as im aware, but it owns in DC anyway in the right hands ;) You really dont wanna fly around when my clan mates are rpg troopers :D

X

xane

Originally posted by Megatron
The game would be much more balanced if they based it on say early 1980's in a fictional confrontation between NATO and the Soviet Union.

You could have such a massive variation in equipment and the majority (if not all) of the equipment currently in the game was present in the suggested time period. While the current USA vs Iraq setting may appeal to the modern day situation, its still not accurate so why not go the whole hog and alter the setting.
Just a thought!

:clap:

The imbalance comes from the fact that Opposition (Iraq) weaponry is mainly 1980s technology, whereas Coalition is up to date.

Saying that, remember that most of the aircraft are 1970s/1980s anyways, the only thing it would really effect is using the M60 tank instead of the M1, and the M113/M150/M901 APC instead of the Bradley, the Soviet BMP and T72 tanks date from 1970s/1980s.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by xane
:clap:

The imbalance comes from the fact that Opposition (Iraq) weaponry is mainly 1980s technology, whereas Coalition is up to date.

Saying that, remember that most of the aircraft are 1970s/1980s anyways, the only thing it would really effect is using the M60 tank instead of the M1, and the M113/M150/M901 APC instead of the Bradley, the Soviet BMP and T72 tanks date from 1970s/1980s.

Damn ruskie engineering :(

And to be honest with you, i can't actually see any huge disadvantage with the iraq side. Bar of course the Car-15 it is pretty balanced.

A

Ash!

A bad soldier always blames his gun

Or some other meaningless bollox like that.

I would like to see more close combat maps on DC. Nothing like a good skirmish on Lost Village. The only way you can control the map is through good use of light infantry. Desert Shield is good map that utilises Aircraft and Heavy weaponary to great effect

I am suprised that they have not made more of the recent conflicts in Afghanistan for the basis of maps.

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Damn ruskie engineering :(

And to be honest with you, i can't actually see any huge disadvantage with the iraq side. Bar of course the Car-15 it is pretty balanced.

Well, they've balanced the CAR-15 with the Vintorez now. Its pretty balanced tbh - the US gets more variety but there's not much that decisively owns the Iraqis except the Barratt. Can't say I'm hugely impressed with the new maps; the oil rig looks nice but isn't much cop, the dark one is pretty much unplayable (and I HATE maps that are full of dead ends - its just bad level design). The Urban Assault (or whatever) one is OK though.

T

Taymar

Yes Ash - NOW !

Only looked at it, by that I mean I havn't had chance to play online with it yet, all I can say is YES !

Desert Combat - The only way to make a great game even better.

A

Athan

Originally posted by DaGaffer
Can't say I'm hugely impressed with the new maps; the oil rig looks nice but isn't much cop, the dark one is pretty much unplayable (and I HATE maps that are full of dead ends - its just bad level design). The Urban Assault (or whatever) one is OK though.

Main problem with the Oil Rig one is that the 'Interior' flags are down such a convoluted and long route from the outside.

The dark map (Operation Bagg?) REALLY needs a daytime version of it too so you can get used to it. I was merrily trundling along to a base last night and fell down a chasm that I simply could NOT SEE. Also once someone is camped at a base they pretty much have it as even if they fire you can't see where they are (no muzzle flare that I could see).

Not played Urban Assault yet (but then I hate that style of map, if I wanted to play that kind of thing I'd go play CS or Q3 Urban Terror).

-Ath

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Athan
Main problem with the Oil Rig one is that the 'Interior' flags are down such a convoluted and long route from the outside.

The dark map (Operation Bagg?) REALLY needs a daytime version of it too so you can get used to it. I was merrily trundling along to a base last night and fell down a chasm that I simply could NOT SEE. Also once someone is camped at a base they pretty much have it as even if they fire you can't see where they are (no muzzle flare that I could see).

Not played Urban Assault yet (but then I hate that style of map, if I wanted to play that kind of thing I'd go play CS or Q3 Urban Terror).

-Ath

I quite like 'Urban' maps - Basrah's Edge is my favourite; the only problem that I have with the new one is that its so big, with so many objects in it, that it lags badly. I think the devs have pushed the limits of the engine a bit too far with this one.

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Athan

-Ath

heh, as true as that is, I do like flying the 'Littlebirds' down the streets :D

F

F!nch3

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
heh, as true as that is, I do like flying the 'Littlebirds' down the streets
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LMAO Cdr

Tried out DC URBAN SIEGE today on meh own... tbh the map looks good, although we'll have to see how it plays with all those hiding rpg fellas stroking their dirty stinger missiles painting yer name on them then shooting you down just as you thought you escaped the little bastards.

Anyway...

I hope they make the new maps AI compatible, makes good practice if you dont wanna get pwned by other players online!!!

B

bunn

Urban Siege is a lovely map, no noticable lag and the street combat is alot of fun. Does sort of remind me of Salford with all the burned out cars. ;)

The lil choppers fly like a dream and can be thrown about like a rag doll. Nice update :)

A

Athan

I've actually played Urban Siege now, and ok it's not that bad. It IS one of those annoying "I'm here, I want to get there, now htf do I get around all these buildings on the shortest route?" maps though.

Oh, and also apparently the map has some bug with the aircraft carrier where anyone piloting it causes the whole server to lag like buggery. It's not too bad if no-one's doing that.

As for the Little Birds, guess I'll have to practice some offline as *everyone* seems to want to fly them currently so I've been pilot in one maybe 5 times in 20 hours play. And, yes, they ARE damned feisty, should be good once I get a feel for 'em.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread