DC Maps

D

darthshearer

If you dont have the all the maps a certain server is using, when you connect will it download the maps?

A

adams901

no, it will just disconnect you (well that has been my experiance anyway)

B

Brass Monkeys

no unfortunately not. Thats what I like about Valve's "Steam", downloads the map if you havent got it ..

... could Game.Net do a similar thing?

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Brass Monkeys
no unfortunately not. Thats what I like about Valve's "Steam", downloads the map if you havent got it ..

... could Game.Net do a similar thing?

Thats not steam thats Half-Life ;)

B

Brass Monkeys

errr. yea. DOH :)

Im sure it was Steam, but then I havent used it in ages ...

apologies in advance for mis-information .. I am a demoted back to n00b

D

Deadmanwalking

They are more or less the same thing but half-life has been doing it since... well forever. Along with alot of other games. Q3 and its numerous mods/games.

Anyway that method is pretty useless with all but the smallest maps as you get such slow speeds from direct server download compared to standard FTP/Website downloads.

X

xane

Even Quake II had that facility, for both maps and models/skins, in fact it wasn't until later you could actually disable it, so you didn't have to wait 1/2 hour to play a game whilst the 15 variations on the Cartman skins got on your machine.

C

Cdr

Although it would be nice for the maps to auto-download as in most Quake engine based games, it is however, impractical. Have a look in your DC maps folder, the size of the maps range from a pityful 64kbs up to a huge 94mbs (with the 'proper' DC maps being the biggest). Personally I'd rather not have to download 94mbs of map at each map change - not only would that map be over by the time you've downloaded it, but it'd be pretty boring sat at the map load screen for 30 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread