DaOc -VS- WoW ...

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
If you judged a game based on 2 hours play you would of hardly experienced any of what it has available.Especially a mmorpg anyway.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
tried the h4x0rd version of WoW, no mobs in it really, got bored after 2 hours ;p

faromir

Fledgling Freddie
and the first 2 hours of daoc was fun? get real...

daoc: run around with a sword killing puny skeletons in a land that was lacking imagination, bascically a chat room with gfxs.

wow: enter a rich, vibrant land with intuitive controls and a game that actually felt complete, hell it actually felt like a game!

Granted it may be aimed towards the more casual gamer, but that makes it crap? Just look somewhere else more suited instead of slating a game because it doesnt fit your 'ideal' .

And the history remark? well elements of lord of the rings are supposedly based on Beowulf and other parts of ancient folklore. The tale of Arthur was romanticised in the middle ages by the french. Did 'knights' have full plate armour in the dark ages? Hell could they cast bolts of flaming rock from there wands? Theres debate that Arthur never existed apart from in your head, propaganda created in a time of poverty and war.

Im not slating daoc because i grew to love it, just playing wow i instantly fell in love with it.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
All depends on who you play the game with imo :x
Remember having a lot of fun even in mithra and the likes, as long as you get a decent chat :/
Got rather bored in wow beta even tho it isn't all that bad a game, simply for soloing the entire time and hardly having anyone to chat with :(
Think wow will be quite ok in retail once I run into some familiar people :)

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
WoW is completely different to Daoc in so many ways...its pointless trying to compare the 2 games, i have come to realise this after playing WoW since its US release

While for me WoW is alot more enjoyable and satisfying PvE wise, i do miss Daoc's RvR, though saying that i preferred the "old" RvR before NF. I can only hope that WoW's Battlegrounds and Honour system will give me the same satisfaction as their PvE does.

But and heres the BIG but...rate things are going Blizzard are going to lose alot of their playerbase if they dont start getting their server issues and their Customer support sorted, plus adding more content.

Again for the 2nd week running we was suppose to get a small patch and again it has been delayed, even though just yesterday a GM said everything was gonna run smoothly and as u can imagine he is now getting BBQ'ed on the WoW forums :D

I can put up with the few minor class imbalances as they will get fixed in due course (hopefully) but if Blizzard dont sort their CS and server issues out very soon then it will be time for me to move on again.

Next target being "Mourning" ;)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
you cant judge any game by playing it for 2 hours, you have to play all different elements of the game.
At some point in daoc 3 years ago i got completely sick of it, levelling in a overcrowded dungeon where monsters were aggroing and shooting through walls and the devs did not even have time to itemize the fucking dungeon (and lyoness had practically no mobs)
Then when i went to the mid frontier to see what rvr was like and i found it so enjoyable that i got my motivation back to reach 50 and now ive played it for over 2.5 years or smt. I can only remember the pve as a complete pain in the ass back then, sitting in queus for hours to get in a group and most classes lacked the abilities/items to kill even bluecons efficiently

same with WoW, while the pve is more interesting (and much less frustrating) then daocs pve, its just pve. But when i went to one of the contested alliance areas with 2 other friends (as horde players on the pvp server) I didnt have so much fun in a mmorpg since i stole a relic off a hib zerg with 2 groups 10 meter away from their relic keep, it was bloody awesome!

the point is dont judge too soon, this is also why most reviews about mmorpgs barely make sense

wow isnt that much different from daoc, besically the same stuff: running around, killing monsters, levelling up, collecting stuff, killing players.
I am not gonna give a list of what i find better because thats of no use to anyone, but ill simply give some differences about the pvp instead if anyone wants to know:

-Racial traits/abilities in WoW have more impact on pvp then racial traits in Daoc
-Daoc has more classes but less unique abilities per class. WoW has less classes but more unique abilities per class
-Level difference in WoW pvp is less impacting then level difference in Daoc RvR
-The faction vs faction in WoW more balanced then in Daoc (which is only logical because the classes are more or less the same on each side)
-There is no buffbot class in WoW, and even with buffs specced to max they are not nearly as powerful and Daocs 50 ehance spec buffs
-Framerate drops occur quicker in Daoc then they do in WoW (judging from its textures and # of polygons used the graphics have been designed with framerate in mind)
-In WoW you can only /stick on other members of your faction and have no /face, in Daoc you can both /stick and /face on everyone
-In WoW you have relatively more hitpoints then in daoc
-Daoc has a safezone and a frontier, wow is one big frontier with a small safezone (on a PvP server ofc)
-Killing players in Daoc grants you abilities which have a high impact on your characthers power (realm abilities), WoW has no reward yet
-Daoc has keeps which can be taken, WoW doenst
-group max in daoc is 8, in wow its 5

just a few differences in pvp (facts, not my opinion)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
faromir said:
and the first 2 hours of daoc was fun? get real...
actully i enjoyed the first 2 hours, and you mr. moron, if you stayed with daoc after playing 2 hours of stinking boredom need a life. First time i played it, i was enchanted, ensnared and stunned. I was amazed by the whole mmorpg (my first non-MUD mmorpg)

faromir said:
And the history remark? well elements of lord of the rings are supposedly based on Beowulf and other parts of ancient folklore. The tale of Arthur was romanticised in the middle ages by the french. Did 'knights' have full plate armour in the dark ages? Hell could they cast bolts of flaming rock from there wands? Theres debate that Arthur never existed apart from in your head, propaganda created in a time of poverty and war.
your point being?

(btw, im not saying you have to quit if you get bored _after_ 2 hours, but if you play the 2 first hours of a game, you're an idiot)

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Straef said:
All depends on who you play the game with imo :x
Remember having a lot of fun even in mithra and the likes, as long as you get a decent chat :/
Got rather bored in wow beta even tho it isn't all that bad a game, simply for soloing the entire time and hardly having anyone to chat with :(
Think wow will be quite ok in retail once I run into some familiar people :)

Should have come join'd me Messer and Equendil then ..!!

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
AtilasPally said:
Something Last , also if you finished game by reaching 60 lvl , you don't have to do nothing exept raids in dungeons for items et.c and some clan wars maybe ! And i want ask here if you made raids and take all items you need what you will do next ? , yes i know you will start a new char ....
thats true it suck atm but its not released yet tho
but i m sure they ill add something for pvp reward etc or it ill suck and i come back to daoc ^^

faromir

Fledgling Freddie
why do you have to restort to name calling ? :) yes i did find the first few hours of daoc boring but decided not to judge a game so quickly after it was recommended to me, and i could see it required a bit of time to get the most out of it( the RvR is what really appealed to me). however the point being that wow was instantly gripping and intriging imo from the minute i created a char.

faromir

Fledgling Freddie
Just read your post in full hunting, my point was that someone claimed arthur to be actual 'history', i was just pointing out that this is open to debate. Certainly the 'arthur' of camelot is wrong. However if you find something fascinating, then that is irrelevant, i was just being pedantic :)

Groborthir

Fledgling Freddie
faromir said:
Just read your post in full hunting, my point was that someone claimed arthur to be actual 'history', i was just pointing out that this is open to debate. Certainly the 'arthur' of camelot is wrong. However if you find something fascinating, then that is irrelevant, i was just being pedantic :)
Say it isn't so! Lies! Arthur is as real as Santa!

For King Arthur, Glory and God!

ninaca

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
You do not judge a game after 1-2 hours play.

Its easy to judge it after 1-2 hours if you're willing to die than play another hour of game thats made for 10-12yo kids.
Even tho that it tooks a little more time than 1-2 hours.

Well anyways four of my friends and me pre-ordered wow, and after beta we all changelled those orders.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
ninaca said:
Its easy to judge it after 1-2 hours if you're willing to die than play another hour of game thats made for 10-12yo kids.

It's made that way to aim at a wider audiance, not hard to see that.

I guess most games are aimed at 10-12 year olds in your view then though?^^

ninaca

Fledgling Freddie
I guess most games are aimed at 10-12 year olds in your view then though?^^

You came up with that all by yourself? You have no idea how proud of you I am. :clap:

Altho i think its kind a pointles to disquice about which game is better.
Everyone has theyr own oppionion, so please don't burn your house only because I don't like wow :p

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
ninaca said:

Ah, too bad for you, you'll have to wait a few more years then so you fit in the age category of the game!

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
ninaca said:
You came up with that all by yourself? You have no idea how proud of you I am. :clap:

Everyone has theyr own oppionion, so please don't burn your house only because I don't like wow :p

I didn't come up with it by myself, you did.

Why would i be angry over someone's view on forums at my age? i am not even acting angry here.

But yeah playing game for 1-2 hours and judging it with untrue statements i can see why you act like that. xD

ninaca

Fledgling Freddie
Xeanor said:
Ah, too bad for you, you'll have to wait a few more years then so you fit in the age category of the game!

You're prob funiest person I've ever met.
Well atleast I'm not over 50 living with my parents and playing comp all day long :p way to go :)

ninaca

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
I didn't come up with it by myself, you did.

Yeah, it seemed too smart comment to be yours :p
But getting tired to fight about some stupid games, been really fun tho :p

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
I am glad my comments aren't as smart as yours, i would smash myself in the face with a sledgehammer otherwise.

ninaca

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
I am glad my comments aren't as smart as yours, i would myself in the face with a sledgehammer otherwise.

Oh so sorry, was just leaving but saw your answer so had to answer one more time.. hope you didnt miss me too much :p

This really beats all your comments before, I was totally wrong about you at first, you really are extremely smart, as your reply tells :)
Can't wait to chat with you again :)

By the way, we're going kinda off topic are we not? :p

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
gonna go watch a film now and judge it just by watching the opening credits xD

Killerbee

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
gonna go watch a film now and judge it just by watching the opening credits xD
Most of the time that is enough, unfortunatly :<

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
ninaca said:

"...hour of game thats made for 10-12yo kids." is not a 'oppionion' but a statement :rolleyes:

Path

Fledgling Freddie
Tolkien? Give me a break, the man might've been a great writer but he sure as hell didn't come up with all of his content by himself - if you fail to understand that you should take a look at Norse mythology before you post. As for the comments regarding WoW PvP, most of them are true - it is chaotic, it is unbalanced and there is no reward other than being the victor. Then again, this is hardly different from how DAoC used to be - most of us who played back in 1.36 have mixed feelings associated with our memories of stungard, to say the least.

WoW caters to the casual gamer but also offers a wide range of more intricate abilities - most classes will require finesse to be played well. If you're still enjoying DAoC though, in particular RvR, I wouldn't switch to WoW, since the endgame is far from finished. For the record, I had a 60 rogue in the FB so I did have time for some PvP ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom