Daoc Europe keep losing players

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
Coldbeard said:
Problem was the stupid easymode rp patch tbh. Removing RAs from the game would be really stupid and be of more harm than good.

Ok so iam a rr3 Inf and loosing al fights against rr5+ even while fully spellcrafted with CL buffs 75 str/con buff, reason is i dont have remedy, bludgeon and the full advantage of 16.5 weapons. So i loose because i missing some key elements rr5+ players have and lower rr's dont have. Nothing to do with skill at all and that sucks.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
RAs were a constant problem before, but since the RVR missions patch you can get some RAs over time and this way you will have access to several important abilities.

Imho lets imporive siege RP and defense RP, and also increase the amount of RP you would get for some missions.

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
RAs were a constant problem before, but since the RVR missions patch you can get some RAs over time and this way you will have access to several important abilities.

Imho lets imporive siege RP and defense RP, and also increase the amount of RP you would get for some missions.

True but an assasionation (sp) gives only 300 rp's, can you imagine howmany missions it takes from rr3 to rr5 just so you can compete abit more in RvR, just more PvE actualy.

The point is the current high rr players started the server they play on from scratch, so their enemies were more equal in rr so the fights were more equal to. So now they eat low rr's. Not a very friendly game for new players if they even manage to reach lvl50, doing their Epic, ML's, Arties, CL's (if they dont give up allready then) and then when they think they are ready for RvR they loose every single fight because the lack of RA's.

I know exactly what iam talking about because i started my SB on Glastonbury from scratch, many equal fights (i dont talk about the adds, thats another story) but now after i returned to Gareth iam to far behind what makes succes in RvR almost impossible.

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
Listerine said:
NPC buffbots value 155 stats in Ligen etc will bring more players back, main reason i play freeshard tbh

i do the same

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
I love how Esselinithia just makes up stats. It's fucking hilarious. Here I will make up some for you Esselinithia!! 99% of my friends list was made up of pvp'ers. About 2 of those people still play - and one cause I lured him back to the game. Entire guilds and alliances have dissappeared from the game and no one has replaced them. My friends that left that I know of left because they got rr10 and then Mythic brought in races/classes that made their beloved char obsolete in pvp 8vs8. Two or three leaders from a guild leave and the guild and alliance crumble because the game is pvp based. The community is pvp based. I have never seen a community like daoc. It comes from people working together, like someone pointed out.

I have been tempted by i50, but I refuse to do it because I really think it kills the game. It's counter-productive to kill a game you want to play (for free) because then you will not have any more updates and the i50 will slowly die aswell. I dont' mind paying my subs. I think people are playing i50 because they can play multiple classes w/o all the work and not because the subs... It's a shame. Maybe we could do that on real server but the char disappears after a week or something silly :)

Yes, the playerbase drops in the summer every year, but not to these levels :( It is really low atm. I was on mid the other night and there were 15 ppl on, 2 were me. That's on both servers. Yes, it was very late at night/early morning, but I have played those times in the past and NEVER seen numbers like that.

The thing is that there are new players out there for the taking. Look how many people are playing the crap that is WoW. For many people it's their first mmorg and they have no idea that the pvp in WoW is just utter shit. Too bad Mythic seem unable to attrack anyone to daoc. I thought maybe EA would inject some advertising $$$, but I guess not. Probably they are concentrating on Warhammer to compete with WoW (stupid imo). I don't agree that the game is lost... This is actually a good time to attract players because people who are playing WoW are bored with it and there is nothing on the horizon except Warhammer...which isn't even in beta.
Maybe us old players should try to find newbies and make them have fun haha... I am sure that would get abused by some old players though!

And to Thorwyn, pvp was always my objective. I remember in the 40s I had to MAKE myself go back to exping because I was having so much fun RvRing... and I remember even in low lvls that was my total motivation. That is why all other games I tried (L2, SWG, WoW, and some others) failed for me cause the PvP is just nothing compaired to daoc.

Maybe one thing to get people playing more would be to make exp in battlegrounds much much better? Especially when grouped or something. I dunno... give Darkfall Online :(

ps... sorry such a long post but 15 players online made me so sad :(

Xxcalibur

One of Freddy's beloved
Asha said:
I love how Esselinithia just makes up stats. It's fucking hilarious. Here I will make up some for you Esselinithia!! 99% of my friends list was made up of pvp'ers. About 2 of those people still play

The same happened with hib / pryd , the old eclipse alliance has like 10 players online in the evening. This game lost a lot of players , at least old players.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
I PvE 90% of the time and still enjoy it very much.

On wednesday nights our alliance group gets together which:

a) started from level 1 (no /level allowed);
b) doesn't permit the use of buffbots;
c) only uses items that are dropped while xping in the group or bought from npc merchants from money that is generated from the xping (i.e. not items or cash transfers*)
d) Xps in classic and SI zones only.

and it's bloody fun

I've also reactivated my US subs and rolled a friar on Gaheris that hit level 50 on Sunday night and having a whale of a time on this co-op server with my guildies there.

"PvE in DaoC is the road to RvR and nothing else" - utter bollocks

* though one member has a suspiciously glowy looking staff :p

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Asha said:
An interesting discussion with opinions from the devs of various genres of mmorpgs...

I think the guy from Eve makes the most sense. Unfortunately, I don't like spaceship games much :(

The guy from Darkfall sounds too good to be true and at this point I just want to see the beta for better or worse. Alll he does is promise the world for 4 years!

Darkfall may very well be very good. But agree they promise much and sound to good hehe.

As for daoc, its natural to loose players, its getting old and expansions cant save it.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Malcolm said:
a) started from level 1 (no /level allowed);
b) doesn't permit the use of buffbots;
c) only uses items that are dropped while xping in the group or bought from npc merchants from money that is generated from the xping (i.e. not items or cash transfers*)
d) Xps in classic and SI zones only.

Even though i love pvp , I'd find that alot of fun if it were with the right ppl :)

Bikkus

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
a) It's in work hours. A lot of people are working and therefore unable to log on!
b) It's only 10:30 in the UK. Kids tend to sleep in late on school holidays!
c) It's bloody hot - people are outside and enjoying the weather.
d) It's holiday season - you can assume a fairly large percentage of playerbase are away on vacation.
e) As people's friends belong in categories a) to d), incentives for logging on are lower - spiral effect.

These excuses are getting a bit old now eggy. DAOC's population has never been this low.

Bikkus

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:
Every year it's the same story.

See you next year with the same posts!

Sigh, anotherone burying his head in the sand.

Azagthoth

Fledgling Freddie
I realy dont think they should make the game more easy than it allready is, thats one of the reasons population is going down.
The game is in some kind of semi easy mode nowdays and it has lost some of its "elite" players, or how I should label em.

Its sad to see that all games like theese goes in the same direction after a few years.
It usually start as a hard game and it takes some time to get to that magic 50 level or whatever but then after a while they start making it more and more easy and the game dies more and more.
First thing the do is usually add some stupid port system so you can port to every inch of the map.
If you do that you loose a very large part of the game and people get boored.
And then they add some dungeons which I will never understand.
Isnt it more fun to be above ground instead of a "doomlike" dungeon?

Bring more people back to daoc?
Easy.
Ditch the port system, yes in RvR to, and add a ton of huge zones above ground with nice drops etc.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
the game is lacking two things, variety for the existing player base. I would love more areas to be brought out in patches with differant mobs. Afterplaying the game so long you to get tired with the same old thing.

the game is also lacking fresh blood, Old players come back, but it seems that very little new players come in. Now Goa will say that they get new subscriptions every week, and i probably agree, but how many of them are new players? There is virtual no marketing for DAOC in Europe, definetly none in the UK.
I disagree with a lot of players leaving, if you look at:

http://daoc.darkzone.net/

You will see that it has roughly stayed the same, most of these though are long term players not willing to give up.

The Two things i really disklike about DAOC is that i hate to powerlevel, i have no choice in most cases as there is not enough low level players to level with. I would rather it take me 3 times as long to level then PL and enjoy myself chatting, then just PL all the way up to 50.. zzz zzz zzzz

And i hate buffbots, i have one, i use it all the while, but i would rather Mythic make it difficult for them to be effective unless actively played, make the buffs group only and a set range. It wont get rid of them being on stick for solo players like horner.

And the other thing while i am ranting, is make a Solo BG where if you group you get ported out. I like to solo now and again if no groups are willing to take on one of my toons, i dont mind losing 1 v 1, i do hate getting mowed down by 3FG on stick :mad: give soloers a place to really solo

:m00:

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
I always get a little sad inside when I see an article about mmorpg addiction and wow's success, stating so so many thousands are addicted by wow, even in Norway etc.

And I'm sure a majority of the 70k norsemen playing wow would've played DAOC instead if they had ever heard of it. There's nothing appealing with wow compared to DAOC when you look at the storylines of each realm actually having real culture. Especially Midgard appeals to all the roots that makes a norseman a norseman. A game as good as this should not be able to die, and would not die if there were some marketing.

In Norway there's even been commercials for WoW in the cinema. If only once a DAOC video (like those Goa and Mythic made) were displayed in the cinema or in TV, people here would storm the shops buying everything clean. No matter how you look at it and how much you twist and turn on it, there can only come profit from this. I know DAOC is older than WoW, why is this a bad thing? Every day I see people grow tired of wow, cause it's just not enough appeal in it - that's DAOC's advantage.

If somehow this message could reach every wow player out there in scandinavia who have never heard of DAOC: Just try it, and it'll make you drop wow within the hour. Even just watching the video on the goa website is enough.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
That's always been the problem really. GOA failed miserably in the launch and continuance of DAoC - no one knows what DAoC is. Even if they do, they think it's an age old game that's just got some sad veterans playing it and its not even updated anymore - hullo? Like two expansions in 18 months is dead?

Sadly, you never read about it. WOW had (has?) television advertising ffs you can't fail to see it. DAoC gets a sad one page ad in a magazine once three years ago. Surprised that anyone still plays it, especially now that "walk in" shopping (like going to the shops) no longer happens a lot.

You know how I got into DAOC? I picked up the box in GAME Ltd. on release day and been playing since. But I no longer GO to the SHOPS - I buy all my stuff online so the lack of awareness is what killed the game. Hell, I reckon if they tried now they could rekinkdle some intererst in the game. Why not send out spam emails like EVE and AO and all the other ageing games do? Free month if you re-open you account now! And all expansions free! And they've got NOTHING to lose doing that.

Everz

FH is my second home
RS|Phil said:
That's always been the problem really. GOA failed miserably in the launch and continuance of DAoC - no one knows what DAoC is. Even if they do, they think it's an age old game that's just got some sad veterans playing it and its not even updated anymore - hullo? Like two expansions in 18 months is dead?

Sadly, you never read about it. WOW had (has?) television advertising ffs you can't fail to see it. DAoC gets a sad one page ad in a magazine once three years ago. Surprised that anyone still plays it, especially now that "walk in" shopping (like going to the shops) no longer happens a lot.

You know how I got into DAOC? I picked up the box in GAME Ltd. on release day and been playing since. But I no longer GO to the SHOPS - I buy all my stuff online so the lack of awareness is what killed the game. Hell, I reckon if they tried now they could rekinkdle some intererst in the game. Why not send out spam emails like EVE and AO and all the other ageing games do? Free month if you re-open you account now! And all expansions free! And they've got NOTHING to lose doing that.

free month would be ace :D

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Eversmallx said:
free month would be ace :D

Exactly and if even 5% came back for good that's 5% in their pocket they didn't have, innit? And a bi-product is a laugh for us all.

FOOLS!!

Rhana

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
the game is lacking two things, variety for the existing player base. I would love more areas to be brought out in patches with differant mobs. Afterplaying the game so long you to get tired with the same old thing.

the game is also lacking fresh blood, Old players come back, but it seems that very little new players come in. Now Goa will say that they get new subscriptions every week, and i probably agree, but how many of them are new players? There is virtual no marketing for DAOC in Europe, definetly none in the UK.
I disagree with a lot of players leaving, if you look at:

http://daoc.darkzone.net/

You will see that it has roughly stayed the same, most of these though are long term players not willing to give up.

The Two things i really disklike about DAOC is that i hate to powerlevel, i have no choice in most cases as there is not enough low level players to level with. I would rather it take me 3 times as long to level then PL and enjoy myself chatting, then just PL all the way up to 50.. zzz zzz zzzz

And i hate buffbots, i have one, i use it all the while, but i would rather Mythic make it difficult for them to be effective unless actively played, make the buffs group only and a set range. It wont get rid of them being on stick for solo players like horner.

And the other thing while i am ranting, is make a Solo BG where if you group you get ported out. I like to solo now and again if no groups are willing to take on one of my toons, i dont mind losing 1 v 1, i do hate getting mowed down by 3FG on stick :mad: give soloers a place to really solo

:m00:

ranged buffs, groups onely buffs. thise things you have on classic..

How ever, the Solo bg wasnt a bad idea... I think all would benefit from this. people driwen away for lack of solo pvp might come back.. others that is on there way to drift off might stay... and all thise people might wants once in a whyle to play RvR aswell.. and they just have to log on proper toons (or just port to NF with there solo toons)

Skip all useless (unused bg's) put in the solo versions instead (keep Thid, can be fun to have 1 place where you can test out your baby toons how they work in groups)... Hell... lvling stealthers is a tidious, boring thing to do.. pvp gives good xp... I bet many stealthers would live in the solo bg's, lvling on pvp alone... and allso come out a bit more competitive with some rp's already earned.

knighthood

Fledgling Freddie
What we shuld do is write off to some computer mags like PC Zone or multiformat mags and tell them that whenether they do a feature on mmorpgs, mention somethibng other than fecking WoW or Everquest. Man i almost temptd to write to Games(tm) and ask them to do a feature on Daoc on the retro section lol. Seriously, no one ever mentions it in mags, man if i could get em to do even a one page feature maybe :)

If GoA wont do it for us, maybe we shuld make our own advertising campaign ^^

Durgi

Fledgling Freddie
:flame:

It's holiday season folks, lets see one could sit behind a puter for 8 hours whining about adds, steam-rolling by rr groups, arguing over camp spots or, sit out in the sun, enjoy a few nice cold beers, do a spot of sun boathing, prehaps a bit of snorkeling or in my case scuba diving. End the day with a pleasant meal, and few beers with a delightful young lady.

Thats my plans for the day, and none of them involve logging onto daoc.

Reason why Mythic aren't overly concerned about daoc... Warhammer online.

D.

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
To be honest, I'm amazed that some people are still surprised our servers are haemorrhaging players...

The reasons are pretty simple...

The community spirit the game once had is fading. Couple that with the utter BS some folk spout about their perceived RvR honour and anyone who doesn't follow their unwritten rules are c&^%s has broken the game...

To be treated like a person, rather than something you'd scrape off of the bottom of your shoe, in this game these days is becomming a rarity :/

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
It's the patching that kills the server.

Look now, no one on at all !

Darzil

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
knighthood said:
What we shuld do is write off to some computer mags like PC Zone or multiformat mags and tell them that whenether they do a feature on mmorpgs, mention somethibng other than fecking WoW or Everquest. Man i almost temptd to write to Games(tm) and ask them to do a feature on Daoc on the retro section lol. Seriously, no one ever mentions it in mags, man if i could get em to do even a one page feature maybe :)

If GoA wont do it for us, maybe we shuld make our own advertising campaign ^^

Ah, underground marketing. There's a lot of that goes on for Firefly (a sci-fi series, one of the best ever imo) when it was cancelled.

Could work if someone came up with a plan :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom