Daoc Europe keep losing players

D

Darq

i left because i got bored.
i didn't want to lvl solo in always the same old same old instances.
leveling took ages, it felt more like a job than a game.
very rarely found any leveling groups, not like it used to be in the the old days.
when i finally got to 50 i very rarely found groups in rvr,
and because i was tired of grinding there was only 1 sollution, to leave.
(left around 1.82)
oh and i didn't like the controls either very much (the route i took was daoc -> swg -> eq2 -> no mmorpg -> wow -> swg (till nge)-> daoc (till 1.82) -> no mmorpg -> eq2 -> no mmorpg , yes there were other mmorpgs before daoc, just started with daoc because , well this thread is abou daoc)

Pohjan Poika

Fledgling Freddie
Do as funcom did with anarchy-online a looong time ago, think it was around the "alien invasion (1 or was it even 2 years ago).

Free game and subscription, but not giving the freebie (fr00bs in AO... wtf?) players access to all of the game. inorder for them to get like ToA/Cata/DR they will have to upgrade the account and start paying the sub, upgrade is free of charge but it adds the 14-15€/month sub cost. Might just boost the player base abit more, with some online adverts (like banners etc..).

Sure, templates will be hard and exping might suck... and for those that already guessed what the thing is about - Getting new players to try DAoC even for afew hours.

Also add something as no /level - whish hopefully will happend soon
Clustered server but you can create cross realm - will require atleast 3 servers in a cluster - but its worth it. This has been talked about alot, players/devs..etc - hopefully we get it! (dont remember if they gave the possibility for the us peeps)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Pohjan Poika said:
Do as funcom did with anarchy-online a looong time ago, think it was around the "alien invasion (1 or was it even 2 years ago).

Free game and subscription, but not giving the freebie (fr00bs in AO... wtf?) players access to all of the game. inorder for them to get like ToA/Cata/DR they will have to upgrade the account and start paying the sub, upgrade is free of charge but it adds the 14-15€/month sub cost. Might just boost the player base abit more, with some online adverts (like banners etc..).

Sure, templates will be hard and exping might suck... and for those that already guessed what the thing is about - Getting new players to try DAoC even for afew hours.

Clustered server but you can create cross realm - will require atleast 3 servers in a cluster - but its worth it. This has been talked about alot, players/devs..etc - hopefully we get it! (dont remember if they gave the possibility for the us peeps)

Totally agree let ppl play for FREE :) It's the best idea by miles - like you said AO did and some others. Just leave the awesome areas (And I do mean AWESOME) for paying ppl- would work wonders. Sadly, M and G lack that kind if imagination BIG TIME.

:(

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Pohjan Poika said:

Totally agree let ppl play for FREE :) It's the best idea by miles - like you said AO did and some others. Just leave the awesome areas (And I do mean AWESOME) for paying ppl- would work wonders. Sadly, M and G lack that kind if imagination BIG TIME.

:(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i had a new player ask me for directions the other day, i almost fell off my chair

Sharaft

Fledgling Freddie
ok i cant blame those, i quitted prydwen/exc cluster due to the shitty hibs that tend to farm everything..

but you say daoc europe is losing players? inst it just the cluster.. i moved to avalon and there is a peak of 1800 peeps online on one server every day.. so no, daoc is not really dying, only the eng servers

Psilocybine

Loyal Freddie
Sharaft said:
ok i cant blame those, i quitted prydwen/exc cluster due to the shitty hibs that tend to farm everything..

but you say daoc europe is losing players? inst it just the cluster.. i moved to avalon and there is a peak of 1800 peeps online on one server every day.. so no, daoc is not really dying, only the eng servers

aww :( you left.....

gonna miss you m8..

And yes Avalon has a nice amount of ppl online, but it's still german.... Fun for a week, but unbearable after...

Psi

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
Darq said:
i left because i got bored.
i didn't want to lvl solo in always the same old same old instances.
leveling took ages, it felt more like a job than a game.
very rarely found any leveling groups, not like it used to be in the the old days.
when i finally got to 50 i very rarely found groups in rvr,
and because i was tired of grinding there was only 1 sollution, to leave.
(left around 1.82)

Absolutely spot on. /level 20 has ruined the game for low levels/new players. The game has been going so long now that it has also become a bit 'leetitst'. I don't mean that as an insult or to offend anyone; what it means is anyone who is a 'casual' player or doesn't have hours to devote to ML raids etc gets left behind. Powerlevelling means that you often have to solo a new character up through TDs. Then, when you get to 50 it's still not enough.
I've lost count of the number of threads on FH where a raid is happening and the requirement is 'must be ML9+' or 'must be RR5+'. I'm neither and I don't have time to be. That's my problem you may say and you're right. But that's also why, after 4 years playing I'm leaving too. And that makes me sad, because DAOC is still a fantastic game. But if I'm going to effectively play a single player game, why pay a monthly online fee? Why don't I just play a single player game and be done with it?
I noticed some RvR threads recently advertising for 'pick up groups', must be RR5+! PUGs used to be a scratch team of hangers around the keeps who got together and had some fun RvR. Now I don't even qualify for that!

So, sadly I've been left behind and I'll amble off when my subs run out in a couple of weeks. Good luck to those who are left. :fluffle:

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Mybuddies said:
Absolutely spot on. /level 20 has ruined the game for low levels/new players. The game has been going so long now that it has also become a bit 'leetitst'. I don't mean that as an insult or to offend anyone; what it means is anyone who is a 'casual' player or doesn't have hours to devote to ML raids etc gets left behind. Powerlevelling means that you often have to solo a new character up through TDs. Then, when you get to 50 it's still not enough.
I've lost count of the number of threads on FH where a raid is happening and the requirement is 'must be ML9+' or 'must be RR5+'. I'm neither and I don't have time to be. That's my problem you may say and you're right. But that's also why, after 4 years playing I'm leaving too. And that makes me sad, because DAOC is still a fantastic game. But if I'm going to effectively play a single player game, why pay a monthly online fee? Why don't I just play a single player game and be done with it?
I noticed some RvR threads recently advertising for 'pick up groups', must be RR5+! PUGs used to be a scratch team of hangers around the keeps who got together and had some fun RvR. Now I don't even qualify for that!

So, sadly I've been left behind and I'll amble off when my subs run out in a couple of weeks. Good luck to those who are left. :fluffle:

Whilest i agree on the "solo" part of the game [alas it could be down to the Guild u are in i dunno], i can't really agree on the "huge amount of time" to get some toons TOAed [MLs wise] or even rr5+, that's 2 things that since last 3 patches are quite easy to accomplish if u focus on few toons.
Ofc u got 9xlevel 50s, that's prolly the problem ^^

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
It's quite easy to get 9 x 50s over 4 years, playing a little at a time.

It's not easy to put aside 3 or 4 hours for a ML raid if you have 2 kids.

You don't know me well enough to make that comment. I put forward my point of view. One person's idea of 'lots of time' is different from another's. It still doesn't change the basic problem.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Mybuddies said:
It's quite easy to get 9 x 50s over 4 years, playing a little at a time.

It's not easy to put aside 3 or 4 hours for a ML raid if you have 2 kids.

You don't know me well enough to make that comment. I put forward my point of view. One person's idea of 'lots of time' is different from another's. It still doesn't change the basic problem.

I dunno i know many peeps who have even 3 kids and they can programatically find the time once in a while to play 4 hours in a row, sad but true every mmporg out in the market right now implies spending some time [and ofc having it in 1st instance], my point was that is half as bad as it was 1 year ago, that it. Don't take it personally oO

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
It certainly is quite empty at low levels (though that'd change if advertising brought in more, as long as it brings more than a handful). I started a new character yesterday, and ran through the fun starter quest (a complete set of 100% level 5/6 kit is nice to start with), and ended up in the BG for 5-9. I thought, hmm, wonder if we could take the keep if I got help, so did /who 5-9. One result - me.

There are new players coming along, though. I think I'll leave my new one in the starter guild for a while so I can help them. They may leave if they don't find a community.

Hmm, mad idea - ask GOA to join the starter guild into one of the friendlier alliances in each realm ?

Darzil

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
Just had a thought: why can't the localization of this game be dynamic?

I mean why can't it be this way: when u connect to a server, the client signature (or something) could tell the server in which language the player would want the ingame texts (descriptions, NPC chit-chat, etc.) be shown out? This way the player would see it all in language he/she has chosen and we could have less servers and more players on servers left alive.

Ofc this change should include combining the character etc. databases so no1 would lose his/her characters/items etc., but would it be too much of work?

...Hope people understand what I mean.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
that sounds alot of work not to mention different languages talking at each other (think classic server)

Wouldnt work imo

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If you own an account with a level 50 you should be able to choose an option on the sub's page, you would have to pay £9.99 to activate the feature but it would create an item on all your characters lvl 40+ (if a char is pre 40 he will automatically receive the item once dinging 40).

This item is a summonded npc who is named after the character but with Buff Bot as the surname. It can give you full buffs much like on the Free Shards.

This is basically a buff bot that can be summoned from anywhere, this is mainly for help leveling or rvr, it cannot be summoned outside a radius range of portal keeps/normal keeps in the frontiers. This stops people from insta rebuffing when they are sheared in the middle of no where.
Players who get buff sheared are able to head to the nearest keep and re-summon, then re-buff however if people storm the keep they can kill your buff bot. It would have a HP of 200hp.

The disadvantages of this buff bot is it does not have 25% toa buff bonus, it cannot be stuck to you, it cannot heal or lay Fonts. It is merely used to buff.

What do you think of my idea? its not 100% original but i've tailored it to how i think it could/should work

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:
I dunno i know many peeps who have even 3 kids and they can programatically find the time once in a while to play 4 hours in a row, sad but true every mmporg out in the market right now implies spending some time [and ofc having it in 1st instance], my point was that is half as bad as it was 1 year ago, that it. Don't take it personally oO

Ah, sorry mate I felt bad after I made that post. I'm just unhappy at giving up the game. No offense taken or meant.

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Daoc WAS a great game, the best online PvP game around in fact. But Mythic took a leaf out of SOE's book in how to ru(i)n online games and introduced gimmicks and changes to enhance players' attributes with the disastrous realm abilities and ToA, overpowering certain stealth classes making them too easy to play thus creating the silly mass stealth wars, moving bind stones to keeps; it quickly lost its appeal, charm and fairness.

I last seriously played DAOC in early 2003 around the time of the first major changes. I've popped back a few times to see the game to try to get back into it but its hopeless. Mythic gilded the lilly for more profits. Sure there will be those players who will argue in defence of Mythic's changes but not many.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Mybuddies said:
Ah, sorry mate I felt bad after I made that post. I'm just unhappy at giving up the game. No offense taken or meant.

Np, am sorry that u can't keep it up :/
Maybe WAR won't be so time consuming as it is Daoc tho! There's hope!

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
Sparx said:
that sounds alot of work not to mention different languages talking at each other (think classic server). Wouldnt work imo

Yeah, some work for code, ofc. I really don't think it's that big deal. IMO new expansions etc are always more bigger deal in general.

But the thing I really don't get is this weird hostility against people who might say something NOT in english. Why is it so hard to cope with? Before I state my opinions on this one, please, reveal me the secret why is it a bad thing sometimes to see (read) something you don't understand?

I don't mean to be blunt towards you Sparx, it's just a question in general...

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
daoc is a dieing game and it has been dieing since since wow came

such a shame since daoc pvp (specially 8v8) is far superior to wow pvp

i can only hope warhammer will be serious competition in terms of playerbase

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
old.windforce said:
such a shame since daoc pvp (specially 8v8) is far superior to wow pvp
But "8v8" is such a tiny part of what RvR was supposed to be. The number of people actively RvRing these days shows how small the percentage of the real playerbase was that wanted "8v8" all the time...the neglect of siege and the realm war as a whole is what killed RvR. DAOC was never, ever, meant to be Team Deathmatch, that's not what we signed up for when we started playing it. The RP-greed of a powergaming minority killed the unique premise of the game for everyone else; it would be very interesting to see how the game would be now if the whole RP idea had never been introduced.
The attitude changed from "All for one, and one for all" to "All for the RPs, and all the RPs for ME"...and that was a disastrous change for the game as a whole.
i can only hope warhammer will be serious competition in terms of playerbase
I have a feeling WAR is going to be massive; whether it will be WoW-massive is anybody's guess, but from looking at what's in the pipeline I really think WAR is the only thing that has a chance of giving WoW a run for its money. Hopefully Mythic will have learned from the mistakes they made with DAOC...and TOA was not their biggest mistake, if it was a mistake at all - their biggest mistake was failing to keep RvR appealing to the vast majority of the playerbase.

pip

Banned
imo folk are getting board of game now, lets face it as been going for long time:( nf don't help much think after 5 mounths with it folk are board of it,and mythic don't seem to be promoting game much anymore:(

Gibs

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
But "8v8" is such a tiny part of what RvR was supposed to be. The number of people actively RvRing these days shows how small the percentage of the real playerbase was that wanted "8v8" all the time...the neglect of siege and the realm war as a whole is what killed RvR. DAOC was never, ever, meant to be Team Deathmatch, that's not what we signed up for when we started playing it. The RP-greed of a powergaming minority killed the unique premise of the game for everyone else; it would be very interesting to see how the game would be now if the whole RP idea had never been introduced.
The attitude changed from "All for one, and one for all" to "All for the RPs, and all the RPs for ME"...and that was a disastrous change for the game as a whole.

I have a feeling WAR is going to be massive; whether it will be WoW-massive is anybody's guess, but from looking at what's in the pipeline I really think WAR is the only thing that has a chance of giving WoW a run for its money. Hopefully Mythic will have learned from the mistakes they made with DAOC...and TOA was not their biggest mistake, if it was a mistake at all - their biggest mistake was failing to keep RvR appealing to the vast majority of the playerbase.

Got it all spot on there svart.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Varmuus said:
Yeah, some work for code, ofc. I really don't think it's that big deal. IMO new expansions etc are always more bigger deal in general.

But the thing I really don't get is this weird hostility against people who might say something NOT in english. Why is it so hard to cope with? Before I state my opinions on this one, please, reveal me the secret why is it a bad thing sometimes to see (read) something you don't understand?

I don't mean to be blunt towards you Sparx, it's just a question in general...

no offenence taken mate.

I remember when the classis server started it was awful! Everyone just insulting each other over all channels French shouting at english and vice versa. Even tho it was an english server ppl were refusing to talk in english and when asked if they could, not cause we were ingnorant it was just when you got 25 ppl talking in French you cant talk to other english ppl cause the channel is being taken up by gobbledy-gook you cant understand. You end up feeling isolated.

And my word the arguements were crazy in the first week alot of DIE IRL rubbish

Ahlgard

Loyal Freddie
Svartmetall said:
. Hopefully Mythic will have learned from the mistakes they made with DAOC...and TOA was not their biggest mistake, if it was a mistake at all - their biggest mistake was failing to keep RvR appealing to the vast majority of the playerbase.

When i had the chance to speak with Mythic at E3 they said something very similair to what you just wrote Svart. And they assured me that they would not make the same mistake again with Warhammer. Time will tell...

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Sparx said:
no offenence taken mate.

I remember when the classis server started it was awful! Everyone just insulting each other over all channels French shouting at english and vice versa. Even tho it was an english server ppl were refusing to talk in english and when asked if they could, not cause we were ingnorant it was just when you got 25 ppl talking in French you cant talk to other english ppl cause the channel is being taken up by gobbledy-gook you cant understand. You end up feeling isolated.

And my word the arguements were crazy in the first week alot of DIE IRL rubbish

You really had it that bad on classic? Never had a single problem tbh. In fact, if I joined a group that couldn't speak English they were polite enough about it - as was I. Even now we all get on fine. I don't care what people say in the public channels - we form guilds to talk to our mates, no?

I saw a few people saying in broadchat that it was an English server so stop speaking that babble but that was always a minority. I mean, who cares? If they're speaking French they're prob talking to their mates :) Live and let live was an outlook people should have adopted for Glast imo.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
If you own an account with a level 50 you should be able to choose an option on the sub's page, you would have to pay £9.99 to activate the feature but it would create an item on all your characters lvl 40+ (if a char is pre 40 he will automatically receive the item once dinging 40).

This item is a summonded npc who is named after the character but with Buff Bot as the surname. It can give you full buffs much like on the Free Shards.

This is basically a buff bot that can be summoned from anywhere, this is mainly for help leveling or rvr, it cannot be summoned outside a radius range of portal keeps/normal keeps in the frontiers. This stops people from insta rebuffing when they are sheared in the middle of no where.
Players who get buff sheared are able to head to the nearest keep and re-summon, then re-buff however if people storm the keep they can kill your buff bot. It would have a HP of 200hp.

The disadvantages of this buff bot is it does not have 25% toa buff bonus, it cannot be stuck to you, it cannot heal or lay Fonts. It is merely used to buff.

What do you think of my idea? its not 100% original but i've tailored it to how i think it could/should work

It's a terrible idea because it is way overdone.

Increase subs to £10 and create buffbots in each portal keep that buffs you till you die.

Sorted.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
RS|Phil said:
You really had it that bad on classic? Never had a single problem tbh. In fact, if I joined a group that couldn't speak English they were polite enough about it - as was I. Even now we all get on fine. I don't care what people say in the public channels - we form guilds to talk to our mates, no?

I saw a few people saying in broadchat that it was an English server so stop speaking that babble but that was always a minority. I mean, who cares? If they're speaking French they're prob talking to their mates :) Live and let live was an outlook people should have adopted for Glast imo.

What realm were you in? I was in Hib and it was very bad in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom