Daoc - Birthright. An expansion that will never happen

Zede

Part of the furniture
Firstly, have some bizarre plot, which starts with the player in question being " reborn" - im sure some writers could come up with a suitable story.

Basically just some fluff to give both RACE & starting points respec in one go.

Now, the very easy way to say Dyvet.

Make our beloved server a unique server, like they did with classic & pvp.

Ok, Ive been playing a lot of the WoW PvP Battlegrounds - why oh why can mythic not implement something a long these lines ?

It is an absolute FACT - and mythic / goa are so fuckin UNBELIEVEABLY stupid to ignore the simple fact that an awful lot of people across the DaoC universe adore 8vs8 & 1 vs1, 2vs2 etc...basically a fight with equal numbers each side.

Implement DoaC battlegrounds system for 8vs8 , 2vs2 etc..

This is not currently in the mindset of Mythic or GoA, but you know what - I am 100% certain that the population of Dyvet would be 2000 a night if not more should instanced rvr become a reality.

Instances are easy to do these days, and I dont think would be that hard to sort out the coding. heck, it dont have to be 8vs8, could 16vs16 - just make it equal on both sides. Like what happens in an awful lot of other games, Leaderboards could be implemented, special rewards etc... heck im just rambling, but go with me here.

Please give some input here on how, using what is possble...Not to save Dyvet, but transform it and make it something very interesting

The game mechanics of Daoc, to me at least are very special. The competitivness of people that play the game in the 8vs8 setting, 1vs1 etc.. should not be ignored.

Please not fuckin whine here, give some constructive comments - lets show the arses at Mythic & GoA - that us the player base can come up with the ideas to save the server, and maybe the game in the long run.

Who was it that posted on these very boards ( the cabalist, forget his name, remind me !) a year before it happened - about an rvr island sprouting in the middle of the sea ? they might just read this and thing, hmm thats a good idea....

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Changes cost money, why should Ea fork out money when they are taking a gamble with Warhammer Online?

Didnt EA once shut down a mmorpg, even if it had still healthy numbers.? As soon as the profits are so minimal its not worth it, that is when DAOC will die.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Don't mean to sound a **** here but....

Dyvet's fucked mate, really.

GL in trying though! ;)

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
on some of the servers-that-cannot-be-named-in-public-places-for-fear-of-upsetting-GOA you can already do this.

Laddey

FH is my second home
on some of the servers-that-cannot-be-named-in-public-places-for-fear-of-upsetting-GOA you can already do this.

Yeah, although dyvets pop is screwed they're more stable than the servers-that-cannot-be-named-in-public-places-for-fear-of-upsetting-GOA

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
As laddey said Dyvet is dead, its on its back with its legs wiggling waiting for the final few to leave the server and turn the lights off. GOA, Mythic and EA aren't bothered they have plenty of other flourishing servers and WAR is imminent.

Just remember the good days.

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
since very early on in daoc a vast number of ppl found the best experiance in daoc was a 8v8 fight and without adds ..

the buzz of winnning against a team that usually kicked yr ass is great and a nice run that yr grp can take out a few fg's in one run was priceless

im sure many people have been saying 8v8 fair fights by choice would of rocked and instances even though not new in concept didnt exist when daoc was launched (maybe wrong ofc on this aint played every game)

the larger full scale RVR was what daoc was intended for . Relic raids .. 100ppl vs 100ppl at a keep etc .. but most ppl affter a short time found that grp vs grp gave much larger rewards for gameplay experiance.

id love 8v8 instances 1v1 2v2 4v4 and in daoc it would of been the bollox, but the sad truth is that daoc is dead its been so for a while and mythic has nowleft the building, turned most of the lights off and moved to a new house .. WAR

if they opened a 8v8 instance on dyvet my 3 accounts would be opened tommorow as im sure 100's if not 1000's would also be. but the cost to reprogram and add this feature would prolly be more than the revenue then all those accounts being reopened.

sadest thing is im playing wow now but id be back at daoc in a heart beat if i could get decent rvr on an english server ... . roll GER server .. no ty i tryed it and got annoyed at the hours trying to work out quests and item names... roll US no ty 6yrs into my toons i aint starting again

RIP DAOC u will be missed

lets hope WAR is all what we dream it will be

Punishment

Resident Freddy
People would return for afew months and when the fotmness left they would find an excuse ... any excuse to leave (insert random classic ruleset server comment here) :(

There are always people looking for something they cannot reclaim ... aka being a noob etc like the old days , but thats impossible now in daoc as it has developed into a VERY unfriendly game for new players and thats the catch ;)

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm lets see server opens population max at 3500 people.

The rise of the set grps/TOA population plunges. (maybe if the 8v8 grps were pointed towards instances, if they existed the zerg might have lasted longer, who knows)

No idea where you think these 1000's of players would come from, lets be generous and say 10 Fg's from each realm returned thats only 240 poeple, let it go, people got bored of this game period, its old had its day lots of new toys about.

Anyway WAR will have most of the good ideas around atm, instances and open RVR.

As much as it grieves me to say these things my subs for the first time in 4 years run out the other day, This server is totally dead move along.

Eble

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Ive seen this debate before, I cant say I agree with it. Of course this is only my opinion, but there is already a huge bunch of games dedicated to team based or 1v1, both i the FPS and MMORPG genres, from Counterstrike to Guildwars.

DAoC broke boudaries with its RvR system, it still is the best there is. But to me, this games PvP isnt about the individual, its about the realms, doing your part for the good of the lands as opposed to whats best for "me". Sadly the players have turned against this more and more in recent years, gone are the days of "calls to arms" and beating down an entire realm in favour of scratching out that one extra RP.

Another inherant problem with instancing RvR will be the classes, again DAoC has unique classes that will dominate. An FG of Warlocks for example will be tough to beat. Thanes, reavers and most of the hybrid classes wont be welcome in groups, and everyone will roll seers just to get a lookin. I wont even mention stealth classes - especially assasins.

Having played Guild Wars, you then also have to face the uber fixed perma groups, who in rather Gestapo fashion rape anyone who stands before them, boring others out of the competition. People soon stop having fun when they can never win or cannot get a group.

If you made the instances random opponents, SB against a chanter...hmm, Warlock against Cleric...nah. Then what about realmranks, RR10 Warlock V RR2 Cabby or Wizzard, animists wouldnt even get to cast their pets.

Now buffs, do you get them or not, as sadly this game has made them to a degree a competative requirement. Pets, do they port in with you or do you have a cool down to cast, also giving an assasin time to stealth and line up an uber PA on ya soggy caster ass.

To sum up, this couldnt work in daoc due to balance issues. As well as the cost to EAthic in time and resources. You also dont seem to take into account those who are happy with RvR just as it is, or who play classes like Minstrels (to name but one) who would be left even more lonely than they are now.

Sadly the game is dying, not just due to its age, but mainly because the genre has been flooded with similar games, whereas DAoC was once fairly unique. WoW, SWG, UO, EQ2 have all spread the player base around, coupled with Mythic (and especially GOAs) piss poor advertising. Anything done now is too little too late, which is a damn shame.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Ive seen this debate before, I cant say I agree with it. Of course this is only my opinion, but there is already a huge bunch of games dedicated to team based or 1v1, both i the FPS and MMORPG genres, from Counterstrike to Guildwars.

DAoC broke boudaries with its RvR system, it still is the best there is. But to me, this games PvP isnt about the individual, its about the realms, doing your part for the good of the lands as opposed to whats best for "me". Sadly the players have turned against this more and more in recent years, gone are the days of "calls to arms" and beating down an entire realm in favour of scratching out that one extra RP.

Another inherant problem with instancing RvR will be the classes, again DAoC has unique classes that will dominate. An FG of Warlocks for example will be tough to beat. Thanes, reavers and most of the hybrid classes wont be welcome in groups, and everyone will roll seers just to get a lookin. I wont even mention stealth classes - especially assasins.

Having played Guild Wars, you then also have to face the uber fixed perma groups, who in rather Gestapo fashion rape anyone who stands before them, boring others out of the competition. People soon stop having fun when they can never win or cannot get a group.

If you made the instances random opponents, SB against a chanter...hmm, Warlock against Cleric...nah. Then what about realmranks, RR10 Warlock V RR2 Cabby or Wizzard, animists wouldnt even get to cast their pets.

Now buffs, do you get them or not, as sadly this game has made them to a degree a competative requirement. Pets, do they port in with you or do you have a cool down to cast, also giving an assasin time to stealth and line up an uber PA on ya soggy caster ass.

To sum up, this couldnt work in daoc due to balance issues. As well as the cost to EAthic in time and resources. You also dont seem to take into account those who are happy with RvR just as it is, or who play classes like Minstrels (to name but one) who would be left even more lonely than they are now.

Sadly the game is dying, not just due to its age, but mainly because the genre has been flooded with similar games, whereas DAoC was once fairly unique. WoW, SWG, UO, EQ2 have all spread the player base around, coupled with Mythic (and especially GOAs) piss poor advertising. Anything done now is too little too late, which is a damn shame.

ive no idea what your on about - if 8 warlocks was sooo good, people would have done it a long time ago - in fact pip did it with 5 locks and he got wtfpwnd repetedly.

Nothing would change really, the game mechanics would still be the same, only the people playing would be in an rvr instance, say the size of thid. Why does an instance indicate people would change the way set groups have been created over the last 6 years ?

ps. warlock against a cleric is a win win 1vs1 for the cleric, i know...its only class i can beat as a enh/reju cleric. Caba hits BaoD, warlock is severly nerfed, its really not that clean cut as you make out.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Hmm lets see server opens population max at 3500 people.

The rise of the set grps/TOA population plunges. (maybe if the 8v8 grps were pointed towards instances, if they existed the zerg might have lasted longer, who knows)

No idea where you think these 1000's of players would come from, lets be generous and say 10 Fg's from each realm returned thats only 240 poeple, let it go, people got bored of this game period, its old had its day lots of new toys about.

Anyway WAR will have most of the good ideas around atm, instances and open RVR.

As much as it grieves me to say these things my subs for the first time in 4 years run out the other day, This server is totally dead move along.

Eble

Daoc has a worldwide player base of what, 20,000 or something ? The lure of an 8vs8 server would attract 1000s, im sure.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
ive no idea what your on about - if 8 warlocks was sooo good, people would have done it a long time ago - in fact pip did it with 5 locks and he got wtfpwnd repetedly.
I gave a couple of examples and you narrow mindedly took them as gospel. Open your eyes to the big picture eh.

Nothing would change really, the game mechanics would still be the same, only the people playing would be in an rvr instance, say the size of thid. Why does an instance indicate people would change the way set groups have been created over the last 6 years ?
I didnt say that at all, however when you remove adds, traps, terrain and all other random events, you also remove the need for certain spots in the group, more damage output and less healing or vice versa.

ps. warlock against a cleric is a win win 1vs1 for the cleric, i know...its only class i can beat as a enh/reju cleric. Caba hits BaoD, warlock is severly nerfed, its really not that clean cut as you make out.
Again, narrow minded, for every toy a Caba has, a lock has 2, else what the feck have you albs and hibs been whining about for the last 3 years since their introduction? Pff. Again it was purely an example, but to retort, an lock blows his RR5, Purge3, q/cs snare on the pet and you, then torpedos you into the ground, fs, theres so many permutations on both sides who cares, it wasnt the point I was making.

I wont go further now, than just to say if you want this, back to WoW or perhaps you should try Guild Wars, instances of any kind suck IMO, and in DAoC they will remove players fromthe frontiers leaving them even more empty than they are now.

Zede

Part of the furniture
I gave a couple of examples and you narrow mindedly took them as gospel. Open your eyes to the big picture eh.

I didnt say that at all, however when you remove adds, traps, terrain and all other random events, you also remove the need for certain spots in the group, more damage output and less healing or vice versa.

Again, narrow minded, for every toy a Caba has, a lock has 2, else what the feck have you albs and hibs been whining about for the last 3 years since their introduction? Pff. Again it was purely an example, but to retort, an lock blows his RR5, Purge3, q/cs snare on the pet and you, then torpedos you into the ground, fs, theres so many permutations on both sides who cares, it wasnt the point I was making.

I wont go further now, than just to say if you want this, back to WoW or perhaps you should try Guild Wars, instances of any kind suck IMO, and in DAoC they will remove players fromthe frontiers leaving them even more empty than they are now.

Ive still no idea what your on about. I think your are wrong in your conclusions, and some what baised. I cannot fathom for the life of me why playing an instance would mean people would be forced to use different classes. Your totally deluding yourself as to what warlocks are capable of. ANYONE who was involved in the 8vs8 scene would know that warlocks were uttery shite in that senario, so why would anyone want to roll 8 of em in a 8vs8 Bg ? Sorry if im being narrow minded, but its easy to see the gaping holes in your examples. Oh yer, they worked well against zergs and low rr players. Im sure people would agree with me, id take a rr10 caba over an rr10 lock every time.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
People soon stop having fun when they can never win or cannot get a group.

Not that i want to win every fight but when you have spent 10zillion plat on decent equipment, done ML's know what your doing and then some rog caster comes up and WTFPWNS you ALL the time. You get to wonder is it worth it.

I could wait and choose my targets carefully, avoid SM's, Locks, Sorcerers, Chanters etc. But then after 30 mins of waiting around you think what am i doing, its meant to be fun.

So you log an alt, but find because your not rr100 ML69 or a none FOTM spec you end up hanging around another 30mins for a group. Thats an hour wasted of your life.

I like fights that last longer than 5 seconds with some semblance of balance, i dont mind dieing i would just rather enjoy it more...

:m00:

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
What I can never understand is why people claim that things are balanced/fair with even numbers?

Something is fair if both sides have a roughly equal chance of winning after everything is taken into account.

Dyvet is empty, there is nothing stopping 1000s of players coming back and having excellent 8v8, fights without adds if they wanted. If people actually REALLY wanted these fg fights it would be easy to do this without requiring instanced zones.

The fact is Daoc is a MMORPG and one of the main parts of the game is to build and develop your character. This is what the vast majority of old players liked doing and they won't come back because of RvR with even numbers.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
What I can never understand is why people claim that things are balanced/fair with even numbers?

Something is fair if both sides have a roughly equal chance of winning after everything is taken into account.

Dyvet is empty, there is nothing stopping 1000s of players coming back and having excellent 8v8, fights without adds if they wanted. If people actually REALLY wanted these fg fights it would be easy to do this without requiring instanced zones.

The fact is Daoc is a MMORPG and one of the main parts of the game is to build and develop your character. This is what the vast majority of old players liked doing and they won't come back because of RvR with even numbers.
Well said!!

Now I will try and drag you away from the warlock example Zede, as you dont seem to grasp the concept of "example".

If your scenario of "instance RvR bringing droves back to DAoC" was anywhere near true, you would be along side those thousands playing WoW and Guild Wars (the latter is free btw, another bonus to the game!) instead of beating up EAthic with a very worn out stick. But, GW has a moderate playerbase, mainly Koreans, and WoWs playerbase is declining as the cheats and l33ts have been there seen it done it and have started to bore, much the same as DAoC has but in a much shorter timeframe.

As others have said, DAoC is dying, another server type is a waste of every resource EA have, and indeed the players can be bothered with.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
They're going so fast! Mother nature is like "Slooowwww dooowwnnnnnn!"

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Uh, people, please.

DAoC has not best at any category. It's not a RvR game, it's not a RPG, it's not even a MMOG anymore.

It's a leveling simulator and a man to man combat game and it's piss poor at both.

I am for instances. The random 2 vs 2 on free shards made a lot of fun and people played it. The players want it? Give it to them! But spare me with this RvR-bullshit excuse. Better (organized) players exist in every game, be it GW, WoW or DAoC. That's why there should be random arenas, (set) team arenas and bigger battle grounds with some kind of objective.

Laddey

FH is my second home
I did in fact run this a few times :

RR11 Caba x 2
RR10 Caba x 1
RR8 Caba x 1
RR11 Sorc x 2
RR11 Cleric x 2

Unbeatable !

LOL ! You killed DAoC!! :(

Wait, you only killed EU DAOC!!!

The US is still as rife as an english whore house!!

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Keep telling yourself that!

He did, I believe he has now taken up residence with a room that has soft foamy white walls and he's given his meds 3 times a day and a visit to the shrink for assessment once a week :(

Laddey

FH is my second home
He did, I believe he has now taken up residence with a room that has soft foamy white walls and he's given his meds 3 times a day and a visit to the shrink for assessment once a week :(

Dyvet is really fucked eh!

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
rampant said:

We arn't allowed to talk about pendragon now? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom