DAOC- and its effect on my RL, over 4 years

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
I am writing this while waiting for the condensation to clear away on the mirror, so that i can have a shave before i go out. The reason for writing this is unknown to me, perhaps I would like to see how it has effected other people. I shall start from the beginning, this is a long post.

This will show a past daoc addiction and how it effected my life and how i tried to deal with it and at times subcummed to it, i will try to give a most honest appraisal as possible.

The Beginning

I was 16 years old when i first heard of Daoc, it was about april time during my GCSE's year, i read a review in PC gamer and an article about a persons experience in daoc and he described it as another world set in a fantasy setting. It looked really interesting and thus i bought it. I made an Armsman known as Soulkeeper, i only got to lvl14 (which took about 3 weeks) before i quit as i felt that it could get addictive, and i had important exams coming up.

And so april turned to may, that eventually became october, I got good Gcses's with averages of A. I then moved into my first year of Alevels, at this time I had a good friendship group and was beginning the phase of going to house parties and getting very drunk and the whole girls thing etc. Then in october i probably made the biggest mistake of my life, i had this urge to start daoc again.

The Start of something bad

So i made a charechter called Rdaneel, a wizard, i was in a guild called <The Dragon Fighters> it was probably one of the best guilds of the time for what it tried to do, it had a great atmosphere and everynight would be a diffrent event, focussed around lvling or some kind of epic raid. This is when my daoc time started to rise rapidly, i would start playing 4 hours a night when i got home from school, instead of going out. At this point in december time roughly it wasnt realy noticed to much and i still manged to keep weekends for friends, and my schoolwork wasnt too badly effected yet.

Anyway after some annoying experiences of getting ripped by enemy assasins i decided to make an infiltrator, called Samildanach. I got the char to lvl50 shortly after SI was released. With a total play time of summin like 22 days, which i guess was accumalated over a 4-5 or so month period (pretty sad really). my playtime was maintaned at the same lvl, with prolly about 25-30 hours a week, As the days turned longer it became increasinly sad to be at my home rather than go out with friends.

Around roughly april-may time my teachers noticed a diffrent attitude in behaviour and started getting pissed off at me, Also i began to put on weight, about 3 stone roughly over the year period from when i first discovered daoc, I got more shy around girls and a bit less confident in myself. Ofcourse at exactly the same time i was developing a bigger and bigger ego in Daoc, and becoming one of those classic Ego 1337 twat kids that we see so much.

The Addiction becomes dominant

Around may, my guild <the dragon fighters> disbanded and i joined a guild known as <The Brethren> this was a good guild and focusssed a bit on rvr, which at the time in Albion very few guilds did, I think only BF and FC had any kind of reputation for rvr. My infil became RR6, then i decided to make a grp friendly char for RVR, so i made a reaver, this was fun and it also got to RR6. This is where i probably reached my saddest point in Daoc, by the time i i got rr6 on the infil and had my reaver it was summer time.

For about a period of 9-10 weeks i was on 200krp or more a week, which was quite alot back then, there would be days where ild spend about 12 hours a day on daoc and itld be all ild do. This was during the summer holiday period and slighly before, While many of my friends were going out going to parties ild often stay at home playing daoc. This is not to say that i didnt go out, i still had friends and sometimes went out but nowhere near as much as i culd and shuld have.

After summer, Second year of Alevels-a chance to get away

I realised i had problems with daoc, after being in a perpetual state of Denial for the past 8 months or so, It was early September where i decided to quit daoc, I sold my account for 150 pounds sterling and i stopped playing.....

this lasted for 2 months, the pull was too strong, i came back and i made a cleric. I discovered that my guild <the brethren> had made a PBAOE ice group, that was getting quite well known in the rvr world. I though a cleric wuld be best class to help along with it. The players in the group were already fairly extablished, but by my sheer play time and the fact that i was a good player forced my way into the group.

Daoc was very enjoyable at this time, we started getting a repuation, people knew of me as a good cleric, and as a 17 yr old at the time i loved it, while ofc irl was a bit bit difffrent. I was losing contact with a few friends (though that is regained now) and I was hardly excelling myself or enjoying life to the full. So i contined to play alot, almost everyday atleast 4hours, unless summin really special happened.

Toa got released, and ofc we being any setgrp powered our way through TOA, playing obscene amounts, at this time the 1337 surrounding our pbaoe grp came to a head, and we ended up disbanding The Brethren and made a new guild called <New Order> there was quite alot of press about this at the time on BW/FH. So we got through TOA and played lots of RVR.

July came, i did my Alevels (got pretty bad results) and at the same time we decided to roll Midgard. So we spent much of the summer toa'ing through it, it was faster this time ofc. However i had university looming over me and come september, i left for Uni, with my newly made berserker only at RR5.

A Break from Daoc-Uni

Due to getting much worse Alevels than predicted, i did not do an economics course at Surrey Uni but instead did an Ancient history course at Kent Uni, i always loved History although economics was a more worthwhile degree. At uni there was a firewall, so i was unable to play DAOC. my adddiction was strong and i did yearn for daoc. However i was a good social life at uni, but just the wrong type. As i went through clearing i was a bit unlucky i guess with who was in my house, I got into a bit of a heavy stoner/weed smoking crowd. I did hardly any work and just smoked weed with my mates and didnt really do much else. I got back in December, and was realistic about my future, i decided to leave Uni, this was a really big decision, as Kent is a good uni and i prolly wuldnt have the opportunity to go back to as a good a uni in the future. The motives for my decision was the fact that ild prolly get a crap degree due to lack of effort and my social grp, and the degree wasnt that useful. I think it would be nieve to think that daoc didnt have some kind of influence.

Post University, wondering the unknown
So it was the 12th of januray 2005, exactly 2 years ago. ofc after getting home i didnt really know what to do after Uni, so i looked for a job and started playing daoc again ofc, on my berserker. It was inital with the <Pure Vison> people, who was New Order players from Alb, however in end of jan they decided mainly to go and play WoW, i didnt want to play so i decided to play on. This was in the aftermath of NF, where many of the old guilds had disintegrated or changed. I ended up being reunited with many of the old players form <The Dragon Fighters> i joined the guild <Valravens>. This was fun, we more or less started a group from scratch, and this time i was part of the start, and didnt come in mid way through when it was already extablished. We turned the guild into one of the best in Midgard, Groove was the best, and i think it was VR,VP, and Defiance who were considered a similar standard more or less. People wanted to join our guild and we began to get a reputation, i was realy enjoying this. And the duo of Korgon/Fujiwara was feared and renowned through the server. this period went on from about feb-june.

In january after my guild collapsed i originally wanted to join <Groove> as they were the best guild in the realm/server possibly. However i was turned down as i was only rr5 and didnt have such a huge rep, although i was well known from my Cleric Subedai. However in June i got offered to join groove, in combination with me falling out with the gm i joined Groove with my Zerk friend Fujiwara. We had an awesome group of players and for a period of about 3 months we absolutely dominated RVR, and with our strongest group out were undoubtly the best on the server for a while. I felt at this point i had reached the top of daoc, i was considered 1 of the best players and was in 1 of the best guilds, over 3 years of daoc had come to this. Was it worth it, No not really.

Meanwhile in RL i was still looking for direction, i got a job at my parents soap factory where i was working with my best mate irl, it was i guess, a nice 6 months of my life. Was easy, I went out a bit more, and due to working 9-5 my daoc time was controlled more. However it was still a relatively sad thing for someone who was then 19 to be doing. So it was July the 21st, i decided to log onto the british airways website. I booked myself a flight to Thailand that would leave on 27th september and return just before Xmas.

Travelling an making up for lost time

Booking that flight was undoubly the best thing ive ever done in my life. In 3 months of travelling i forgot about daoc, regained lost social skills and had a fantastic time. I not only went to thailand but decided to travel throughout much of south east asia, this was really fun and at the same time i lost the weight that i had put on through daoc. When i returned in December, i was a diffrent person, but daoc was not forgotten, but it was almost gone.

The Classic Daoc and learning control

So i returned from travelling, with a much greater direction in my life, i was going to be a Foreign Language teacher, this meant i could live and work almost anywhere on the planet and thus be travelling at the same time. However i could not start immediately, as i had to wait till april to do the course. So for 4 months i played on the US classic with old friends from New Order, it was fun but i didnt play much, i could control my playtime alot more, I was learning discipline. Then came April, i had to live in London for 4 weeks, where i was on an intensive course. From may i played a tiny bit of daoc for a month, with a set grp on albion, but that was the last time i played. Come June i had a teaching job in a summer school, it sucked my time away and i had a good social life with the job. Where i forgot about daoc, In September I decidied to live and work in Madrid.

Madrid and away from daoc

So ive lived here for 3 months now, had a great time experiencing a diffrent culture, its been difficult at times as i had to find a job friends and an apartment all at the age of 21. However im beginning to make headway and im really enjoying my life here. Daoc is almost forgotten, i think i wuld maybe play, but its very difficult due to having no freee time, so its best i dont and i doubt i will also. I feel i have recovered from the worst of daoc when i was 17, the friends i knew back then are all fine now and i dont feel difficult around then as i may have back then due to being socially less skillfull.

Overall i feel DAOC has certainly had a negative effect on my life, though not to say i didnt enjoy it, i did enjoy it, i feel there were better paths to take. However it may have led me indirectly to be doin what im doing now, and i do now have clear direction in life.

Anyway thats my life over 4 years of daoc, hope u didnt get too bored.
ciao

Moaning Myrtle

Fledgling Freddie
OMFG! I can't believe you typed all that out. Great post, and you touched on many things all of us have experienced at one time or another playing DAoC.

Personally, my love of the game was partly responsible for my divorce, and has caused many arguments with other partners along the way since. I've tried to quit 5 times now, selling accounts almost every time. When I am not playing it, no other game come close, and I think about it constantly.

It's still a brilliant game.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
It's like that film, "The Breakfast Club". Everyone can connect to something there. :)

I've often thought about selling my PCs to rid myself of the addiction, not just of DaoC but of everything. Maybe keep a laptop for email and google and wiki but eliminate the gaming side. Probably would have been a good move eight years ago, but feel it's a bit late for me now.

Go, my son, save yourself!

Robin the Brave

One of Freddy's beloved
Didn't i see you spamming irc a few days ago begging for a group? ^^

If you enjoyed something it wasnt a waste of time, sure theres always something "better" you could be doing.

Edit: alittle harsh ;p

Unleashed

Loyal Freddie
Moaning Myrtle said:
OMFG! I can't believe you typed all that out. Great post, and you touched on many things all of us have experienced at one time or another playing DAoC.

Personally, my love of the game was partly responsible for my divorce, and has caused many arguments with other partners along the way since. I've tried to quit 5 times now, selling accounts almost every time. When I am not playing it, no other game come close, and I think about it constantly.

It's still a brilliant game.

Cost me my marriage too :( along with a few other things.

Tombha

Fledgling Freddie
daoc caused me to get social anxiety and really fucked me over . it has been fun, but it really really fucked me up aswell :S

- English -

Resident Freddy
Me and Korgon often talk about this stuff frequently. Its mainly why I dont play DAOC anymore, or if I do its under very strict time, (RL ALWAYS comes first). From hearing of his story months and months ago when I met him ingame, I have used his mistakes to my advantage and luckily I came through school / college with good results. It has become quite funny as we taunt each other about the past, and after quiting DAOC some time back - we both are so much brighter and it feels free to not be under pressure of little things such as rushing back from college or eating your food next to the computer to play in your set group.

I think he has been very honest with his mistakes and people should see just as I did what games can do to your life.

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
nice reading, think most people can relate to that aswell, ive lost work+gf etc over this game, tho i did enjoy the time spent and all friends ive made!

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, I feel you. I spent like 8-10 hours a day on DAoC aswell, at some point, and more so during weekends/holidays. Then again, how else does one get 200-300 days /played?
I've gone through my share of shit since starting DAoC, tho it wouldn't be realistic for me to blame it all on a game, addictive or not, as I've always been a bit of a slag and unmotivated at school, aswell as everyday life. I do, however, know it worsened things a fair bit, and can relate to the initial post. I failed school three or four times, and am now at the same level of study as the average 16 or so y/o, while I won't be able to put this shit behind me 'till I'm 19. Missing out on some proper education, as I'll never be able to take the basic way through school, moving through classes with mates, having school parties and graduating together, etc, was probably the worst of it.
The funny thing is, I'm quite a competitive person, and either win or get fed up and quit, yet I never gave up on DAoC, even tho I haven't even been near the top. DAoC's addictive alright :p
Anyway, judging the end of your post, things seem to be going in the right direction. The fact that you're aware of how the game fucked things up for you in the past should be enough to keep you from coming near any MMORPG in the future, which is a good thing.

Ixnay

Can't get enough of FH
Excellent post mate, can relate to it on many levels and im sure most people who've played this game for sometime can relate to it.
I haven't played the game since roughly April '06 and my life has improved big time since, can actually get work done and not constantly reading forums/making templates & thinking about the game. Reclaimed my social life, got fitter and have been in a relationship with a gorgeous girl for the last 8 months. But after saying all this, in the last week or so I've started to have an urge to play the game again, just seems as if the want to play the game has layed dormant for 9 months and is starting to re-surface.
I just hope I can either control my playing time if I start to play again (which if I did, my miss's would definitely keep me on a leesh with regards to how long I play) or just avoid playing it at all again.
I've actually just let the miss's read your post, as obviously this game/world is totally alien to her and she was quite surprised as to what a "game" can do to people.

Cheers, good read and educational to others :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Ixnay said:
. Reclaimed my social life, got fitter and have been in a relationship with a gorgeous girl for the last 8 months. But after saying all this, in the last week or so I've started to have an urge to play the game again, just seems as if the want to play the game has layed dormant for 9 months and is starting to re-surface.

That's cos the "honeymoon" period is starting to end with your current relationship and you're getting a bit bored and settled - then you start looking for other things to entertain :)

Whilst I said I can connect, the thing is I find different is I don't "regret". I don't "regret" making load of new friends, having many interesting conversations and more laughs than I can count but maybe that's because I didn't really lose toucb with my real life to do it? My guild can attest to the amount of times I've flaked on in-game plans, or logged into vent off my face from a night out with real life mates.

As with many things, balance is a big part of it. I've obsessed as much as the next player but I've never had it so bad I couldn't just walk away. Maybe because I've a bit older than the average player? (started when I was 22ish)

Dunno!

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Respect man. Nice post. I totally see your point and can't deny recognizing a lot of it.

But I want to shed light on another side of the story. I've been "clear" of Dark Age for a while of which I'm thankful, my life has improved from not being addicted to it anymore. However I do tend to look back at the period very different then you do.

Going out at 16, getting hammered, spending money on booze. Why is that so normal? Why is getting hammered in a bar and having meaningless flings with women you will probably never see again (or never WANT to see again) worth more then meeting people in a game from the comfort of your home.

I'm blowing it out of proportions I know, but think about it. Why is one thing normal and the other one isn't? Because boozing and meeting people in pubs has been done for decades? And meeting people over the internet is new... is that it?

I met loads of new people through playing Dark Age, a lot of which I now consider close friends. I talk to them nearly daily, we meet often depending on how far apart we live, and my current job I got through people I met in game. They are REAL friends...

Point I'm trying to make (which would be easier if I wasn't hammered right now :p) is that it might not have been a complete waste of time.

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not sure why you're starting again... And I don't think you should totally regret all the time in daoc if you made some real friends. Also if you had some good times, but I think ppl who played as much as we did had alot of "down" time which is regretable... Also you wouldn't be where you are right now (travel, etc.) if you didn't take the path you did.

Glorien

Fledgling Freddie
A nice and very interesting post, certainly makes me think about my daoc time.

Although, as far as I'm concerned DAoC had very little negative effect on my life (don't get me wrong it wasnt perfect but good). I started playing about GCSE's and continued while I was doing A-levels, but I did the work and got where I wanted to go (Nottingham University). I had a good circle of friends, ones who didnt game at all, and I often went out with them.

For me, DAoC was a time-filler, a fun filler but all the same something to do when ive got nothing better to do. Since ive come to uni ive had no time between the odd piece of work and drinking and so ive not played in many months now (like 5/6?). Im sure when i have more free time, during the summer ill play again but when Im back at uni no daoc.

I dunno, I think the point in my post is that DAoC isnt always the negative thing, many people can have a healthy gaming _hobby_. Its just rare anyone talks about it, MMO gaming is always portrayed in such a negative way - hence the stereotype about gamers..

Anyway, this post was a lot longer than planned, and came out like a bit more of a rant so I apoligise for that.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, I'm glad you dont feel it is an addiction anymore, kinda damaging if it is indeed an addiction since any addiction is a bad addiction, well, more or less anyway :)

Perhaps easy to fall into that trap at that age, dunno but I reckon it is a problem for that generation and probably even worse for todays 15year olds with massive games like WoW and others. Loosing identity at 16 is a really really bad thing since we all are so darn easy to affect at that age. The good is, I reckon its better to play (and be addicted) a computergame at 16 rather than beating up old ladies on the streets and steal their things. Its a lesser of two evils so to say.

Gamah

Banned
I started playing Daoc at 16, since then I have had the best time ever. I became a billionare and have no less than 16 ladies to pleasure me at my whim. THANK YOU! Dark age of camelot!

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
I started playing Daoc at 16, since then I have had the best time ever. I became a billionare and have no less than 16 ladies to pleasure me at my whim. THANK YOU! Dark age of camelot!
Oh, makes me feel sorry for not rolling a minstrel :<

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
Mmorpgs are best consumed during age 12-16 :) outside that if you spend too much time on it your bound to miss out. But then again i would say daoc can give very important lessons about interacting with people where the only common you have is a game.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
A lot of good points there, and I'm sure many people (including me) can recognize themselves there, but there's something I'd like to add. Personally I started daoc when I was 21 years old "already". I think I've seen both sides of the coin, and I think you make it sound worse than it is.

During age ~15-19 I didn't even have a computer, and for years I had what most people here call "life". Lots of friends, lots of partying - we could be out drinking 4days a week... I also ended up living together with a (now) ex-gf. It lasted for an year or smth, we were already talking about having kids etc... Luckily that didnt happen (I was 18-19 years old back then, the girl about same) :p

After some years and many changes in my life, I eventually ended up playing daoc quite HC for a while. I barely went out, and played far more than what was healthy. Was my life much better when I didn't play? It was definitely very, very different. But better? I'm not too sure.

Life is never perfect for most people. I've found out that there are usually some problems or issues going on and it's easy to play with the "what if...". I've done it plenty too, and some scenarios which don't involve playing daoc sound scary really. Roughly half of the "gang" I used to hang out with are 100% bums with serious alcohol/drug problem and some have been in jail for robberies, assaults and such. On the other hand some are living happy family life with children. I'm somewhere in between there I guess. If I didnt become a nerd (hi marc), things could be very different, but can never tell if it would be for good or bad.

Playing sure has had its negative effects too, but its not all that black & white. Especially not for people like me (and probably many of the "addicts" here) who sometimes have hard time finding a reasonable balance and tend to go to the extremes.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
DocWolfe said:
Self-control people, its not that hard.

Actually, i think it's one of the hardest things in life to master. If you've read the thread you'll realise other people feel the same way.

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
Nice post subm8.. I agree on almost everything you said tbh.. I used to play alot aswell, with you in odins, with TT in NF. I guess I could have done other stuff at that time. but IMO it was time well spent! I had so much fun, made some friends. Maybe my situation was abit different because I played with RL friends and we would play together etc. Im happy things are working out for you now m8. And I'm happy that I quit playing daoc. It was fun but now Uni + RL has become more important.. (high school is easy tbh.. can easy combine with HC daoc :D)

DocWolfe said:
Self-control people, its not that hard.

Sure it is.

Helme

Resident Freddy
While I can relate to some of the problems(dropped out of school due to DAoC, got right back in the year after tho) I can't but agree with the people saying its not all bad, sure I could have done alot of different things during the time I spent playing DAoC, but really would it have been better? maybe by the 'normal' standard, it would have been but personally I can't say I really missed out much sitting home rather then being out all night drinking etc.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i had a similar experience, quit daoc cos it was affecting my a-levels to an extreme point, got into uni now and occasionally venture into the mmorpg worlds but not much as i simply dont have the patience or desire to play anymore :p

that said though i think i learnt alot from daoc and matured alot faster than i possibly would have otherwise (i was 14 when i started daoc i believe and was hanging aorund with some right morons in school, moved on though :p )

Everz

FH is my second home
I started playing daoc when i was 12/13, at first it wasnt a great thing, wasnt interested and had no care for it, soon became addicted i suppose, made alot of toons, stayed up and played alot longer then usual, however never really did seem to dent my social life.I still talked to mates over msn and at school etc, its only this year with the decent weather that i went out 5-6 days a week constantly.
However it did make one thing somewhat of a let down, that being my schoolwork, i started playing a good year or two before my SATs (which i passed happily a level above what i predicted(6/6/5) and got 7/7/6),but when it came to gcse year it seems like everything that could have gone wrong, has. I seem to panic more in exams on subjects i want to take further e.g. maths, english etc, for example in class/out of school i can solidly produce A standard work, yet when i enter the test i phase out, i cant work out solutions, i cant think because of lack of revision i thought, when the exams came last time, i just played daoc and forgot about them
However i tried it this year to work harder, i dropped daoc and focused to put the effort in to try and make my parents proud and not worry about me failing like last year, so i did even though i was carrying a chest infection i most probably did more work in that one week then i have done over the course, but i still panic'd and feel gutted at the exam, but one great thing has come of it, and that was that i did make my parents proud which makes me happy :worthy:

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:
Going out at 16, getting hammered, spending money on booze. Why is that so normal? Why is getting hammered in a bar and having meaningless flings with women you will probably never see again (or never WANT to see again) worth more then meeting people in a game from the comfort of your home.

I'm blowing it out of proportions I know, but think about it. Why is one thing normal and the other one isn't? Because boozing and meeting people in pubs has been done for decades? And meeting people over the internet is new... is that it?

I met loads of new people through playing Dark Age, a lot of which I now consider close friends. I talk to them nearly daily, we meet often depending on how far apart we live, and my current job I got through people I met in game. They are REAL friends...

Point I'm trying to make (which would be easier if I wasn't hammered right now :p) is that it might not have been a complete waste of time.

bang on. 'waste of time' is extremely subjective

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
When i was 16-17 i smoked lots of weed and skipped school a lot. I had a unhealthy addiction to gamling machines beside that.

If you speak about waisting time thats a classy example.

At 17 i was stupid enough to drive a motorcycle into a car with 85 km/h and walk around with sticks for 2 years becaus my leg fucked up badly.

I think playing games too much, getting fat and fuck up school is bad but there are way worse ways to make a mess of your life.

Good to hear you realised you were doing not so good and found a way out. Usually girlfriend / wife is the way to get guys in line with what is considered normal. So if you have a nice girl, stay loyal to her (not "just" sexual)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom