Damn you stubbe for this (About darkfall)

R

rg-zorena

Hello Daoc community, I was Zorena the pac healer on Excalibur but I left because there isn't any
magic left in the game its the same old after a year of playing.

Anyhow I have been asked to recruit people to another game darkfall and clan Shimmergloom for my own concern.
So what is Darkfall, well its a new mmorpg that is said to have the biggest world ever in a online game and it will be
zonefree so its one big world that support upto 10000 players maybe even more.
Well first of all its not gonna be another boring history to level 50 because there are no levels instead you become
better and better by using spells healing or your sword, and unlike daoc someone with alot of skill points trained
in various fighting skills will maybe not be able to win you because the game will be first person, so it will add
some excitement from your ordinary fps game into the mmorpg.

Our development team is made up of gamers, and for years we have been envious of FPS players having combat centered fun in games such as Quake, Unreal, Counterstrike etc. They have had these cool combat systems that are fun and challenging, while we as MMORPG players have felt sold short using turn based simple and boring “click and wait” combat systems.

With Darkfall we wanted to move away from the traditional “select target, hit attack, sit back and wait for the result” combat systems we have seen in other online games. We wanted to include elements such as dodging, evasion, timing, aiming etc. These elements are well known from FPS games, but haven’t really been utilized in MMORPGs before. Darkfall uses a semi-FPS action system, where a typical fight will involve the mentioned elements; dodging, evasion, timing and aiming. Tactical elements also come into play, like using the higher ground, strafing, hiding behind corners, walls and objects, using the right skills or spells at the right time, using the right combinations of skills and spells, countering the enemy’s skills and spells, evaluating the enemy’s equipment, using the right debuffing spells etc.

It might sound complicated when explained on paper, but it flows extremely well in-game, and we are really happy with our combat system. We can’t wait to let our players test it out, and we think it will help push MMORPG combat systems in the right direction, and make each combat situation unique and exciting.

This game have concetrated alot of effort into making RvR a huge part of the game first of all there are 6 races and
basicly they will have differnet enemys but can go to war with each other in a clan vs clan(this is what guilds are called in darkfall) war.
So basicly there gonna be a huge zerg everyone is thinking well maybe and maybe not only time will tell
but im guessing that guilds who gonna have 500 players arn't gonna be as good in fights because they dont
know eachothers tactics when faced to fight equal numbers anyhow anyone who wish to create a clan will
be able to do so with clan stones a special item you require to make a clan.

However there are players like Talivar out there the ones who love to solo im not
sure you will like darkfall at all its anyhow if you wanna play like that require alot of patience.

You could be a lone adventurer, hunting for treasure, magical items and fame, or a mercenary selling your services to the highest bidder. You may choose to play a merchant, setting up caravans and shops in different cities, buying high quality hides from Mahirim hunters and selling them for top prices at Human cities. You could hook up with a few friends and be pirates, sailing your galleon around, plundering merchant ships, or choose to play the Dwarven blacksmith, crafting mighty magical weapons and armor, or perhaps a farmer producing rare herbs and spell reagents. The possibilities are unlimited.

And for those who arn't really into pvp and loves crafting and building houses of course you will be able to do that too
in darkfall you can craft more then any other game, and this will be magical items and armors that players are gonna need
constantly because when they are killed they can be looted, and houses/citys can be placed anywhere on Agon(Darkfall world)
who is a living breathing world grass swaying in the wind. If you kill of goblins in one area they will move to another and
leaved untouched for sometime they will create their own village and create young gobbos :)

Features (copyed from darkfallonline.com)

- Possibly the biggest online game world ever created, with four huge continents to explore, and hundreds of small islands.

- The best quest engine ever seen in a game, with literally millions of interesting and rewarding auto-generated quests to solve.

- The most realistic online game world ever created, with trees and grass swaying in the wind and dynamical clouds generated based on the weather in the area, real world physics, dynamic lighting and shadows, and smooth night/day cycles.

- Advance your player character any way you want, with more than 1000 skills and spells to learn and master.

- Superb 3D graphics, detailed models, smooth life-like animations and amazingly sharp textures.

- Darkfall supports actual ownership of resources and areas, making conquest and warfare an integrated part of the game.

- Exciting action-packed combat situations, with actual player skill and strategy influencing the outcome of the combat.

- The most advanced Clan administration and communications tools ever seen in an online game.

- Endless career opportunities. Be a humble fisherman, a legendary smith, a friendly baker, a trusted hunter, a superb tailor, a mercenary hiring your services to the highest bidder, a magician teaching other players powerful spells of magic, an explorer telling tales of dungeons explored and exotic islands visited, or a fearless clan leader, leading your clan to countless victories over your enemies.

- In Darkfall it's the players that run the world through kingdom building, conquest, diplomacy, strategy, politics, even a player defined legal system.

Anyhow personal feelings about the game atm, Its gonna be great, grafics looks really great
imo and a pvp system that actually gonna meen something for instance if you pk someone near
a town the npc guards are gonna react.
I put myself in the worst shoes atm with the race who is hated by everyone (the evil darkelves)
known as drow in adnd and if you wanna join the clan that is gonna go up on release date who
is gonna focus on pvp and roleplaying then be sure to check the url above. One thing that I've
never seen before is the amount of intrest the developers are listening to common people like
ou and me, their forum is cluttered with stuff that ppl dont like and like and wish to add and
dont want to see and everything is either commented or read by someone developing darkfall.

- Zorena

B

Belomar

So there is some kind of recruitment program in this game where you get money or in-game time to promote the game on other game forums, or what?

R

rg-zorena

Originally posted by Belomar
So there is some kind of recruitment program in this game where you get money or in-game time to promote the game on other game forums, or what?
no this is recruitment to the guild im part of nothing else and no money etc either :p

E

eNzi

Sounds really nice :)
Maybe we're gonna see a MMORPG where people aren't harrassing each other if you are a roleplayer? :) can only hope.

Also, when reading, it sounds a little like Ultima Online, just in 3D and with a lot more features. UO was a great game back in year 98, hope this Darkfall is gonna be "the bomb"

R

Ravenbourne

Sounds pretty good, is it in open beta?

L

Lumikki

Had my eyes on Darkfall a long time, but WoW probably will be my priority n.1 when ever it comes out :)

xx

N

-Nuked-

races look a bit :sleeping: but hey, i am sick of turn based zzzzzz

H

harebear

after looking at it darkfall looks better than wow imo.. but most of meh friends getting wow so i guess i am too :D

T

Teren

imo, darkfall is gonna be the next mmorpg ill play :)

S

Sichama

I will definately check out this game, i am really concerend about how experienced the dev team is, as from what i have seen this far they are still really hooked up on problems the mmorpgs had some years ago and they give too much credit to whiners of games of the past.

I will not join any guild/clan though untill the game comes out and have played it a bit.

O

old.ST200

every mmorpg sounds nice on paper

"Possibly the biggest online game world ever created, with four huge continents to explore, and hundreds of small islands. "

Woohoo! 75% of that will be empty and useless. Or, if all areas are populated, you'll only see another player every few thousand miles :(

The best quest engine ever seen in a game, with literally millions of interesting and rewarding auto-generated quests to solve.

You can't auto generate a "fun" quest. This will be like, bring XX random item to XX random person, kill XX random mob and tell XX random NPC about it? Z Z z z z

The most realistic online game world ever created, with trees and grass swaying in the wind and dynamical clouds generated based on the weather in the area, real world physics, dynamic lighting and shadows, and smooth night/day cycles.

We don't play these games for realism. But either way, this is the darkfall idea of realism? >> http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/albums/album11/Screen03.jpg

lol ;D

Endless career opportunities. Be a humble fisherman, a legendary smith, a friendly baker, a trusted hunter, a superb tailor, a mercenary hiring your services to the highest bidder, a magician teaching other players powerful spells of magic, an explorer telling tales of dungeons explored and exotic islands visited, or a fearless clan leader, leading your clan to countless victories over your enemies.

That's just a long way of saying "you can roleplay". Like, teh wow.

Seriously, everything you just said there is the usual BS every mmorpg maker comes out with. None of them actually tell you how it's gonna play. "Lot's of skills to master!!!!!!!1111" "Master the ways of teh wizard!!!!".

I would put money on the fact that darkfall will fail.

R

Ravenbourne

Originally posted by old.ST200
every mmorpg sounds nice on paper

"Possibly the biggest online game world ever created, with four huge continents to explore, and hundreds of small islands. "

Woohoo! 75% of that will be empty and useless. Or, if all areas are populated, you'll only see another player every few thousand miles :(

The best quest engine ever seen in a game, with literally millions of interesting and rewarding auto-generated quests to solve.

You can't auto generate a "fun" quest. This will be like, bring XX random item to XX random person, kill XX random mob and tell XX random NPC about it? Z Z z z z

The most realistic online game world ever created, with trees and grass swaying in the wind and dynamical clouds generated based on the weather in the area, real world physics, dynamic lighting and shadows, and smooth night/day cycles.

We don't play these games for realism. But either way, this is the darkfall idea of realism? >> http://www.darkfallonline.com/gallery/albums/album11/Screen03.jpg

lol ;D

Endless career opportunities. Be a humble fisherman, a legendary smith, a friendly baker, a trusted hunter, a superb tailor, a mercenary hiring your services to the highest bidder, a magician teaching other players powerful spells of magic, an explorer telling tales of dungeons explored and exotic islands visited, or a fearless clan leader, leading your clan to countless victories over your enemies.

That's just a long way of saying "you can roleplay". Like, teh wow.

Seriously, everything you just said there is the usual BS every mmorpg maker comes out with. None of them actually tell you how it's gonna play. "Lot's of skills to master!!!!!!!1111" "Master the ways of teh wizard!!!!".

I would put money on the fact that darkfall will fail.

Such an optimist :)

Z

zmurf

Originally posted by old.ST200

Why would they claim to have 'the best quest engine ever' if it's gonna be excacly the same as everything else ? fair u wanna flame something(you clearly know nothing about) but atleast do it right ...

O

old.ST200

Well they aren't gonna say "we have the 2nd best quest system ever" are they?

Think about it. Yep thats right, think!

Z

zmurf

They wouldn't state it at all then ...

Not claiming to have the best engine is better than claiming to have it and then be prooven wrong ... follow your own advice ...

L

Legolias

Originally posted by zmurf

Not claiming to have the best engine is better than claiming to have it and then be prooven wrong ... follow your own advice ...

Nah mate, that's the world of marketing.

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by zmurf
rofl

wake up and smell the industry.

Kinda sad that you fell for it, but that's their goal, so - congrats to them.

Z

zmurf

Originally posted by Whisperess
rofl

wake up and smell the industry.

Kinda sad that you fell for it, but that's their goal, so - congrats to them.

'fell for it' gotta be a sucky life with such a pesimistic attitude ... thank god that's not how i feal, would be a pathetic as hell life to live ...

Z

zmurf

Originally posted by Legolias
Nah mate, that's the world of marketing.

The saying - There's no such thing as bad PR - is outdated and, when it comes down to it, JUST a saying, nothing else, study marketing and u will realise this ...

R

Riddler

just to comment on the screenshots etc..those are like 2-3year old pre-alpha SS's, they have changed the game alot since then

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom