Cs:s

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, be sensible and buy it via Steam not the retail version.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
On a more serious note, don't attempt to use any cracks or patches that claim to let you play HL2 or CS:Source without your retail disc.

Valve don't seem to like it, and it's a pretty trivial thing to have your Steam account banned over.

Clown

Part of the furniture
The Half Life 2 disk that we bought from a shop.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
As far as I understand, which is pretty bloody far in my own not very humble opinion, whether you bought it on a disc , or got it off Steam like I did, the game still has to be linked to your Steam account. And as Steam is always on, you dont need a CD in the drive?

Clown

Part of the furniture
It asks me(us) to insert it(the disk). I haven't really tried to look for a solution but hopefully some of you can help :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Can you download the game from Steam, and use your CD key to activate it that way?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Don't believe the retial version lets you. If you buy the game with the disc, you need to use that disc to play the game.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hmmm, thats unfortunate. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is, since you can't play without authenticating it anyway?

Pinp

Banned
There has to be a way!

Old CS didn't need the cd in :|

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My son has hl2 on the disc, and he definately doesnt have to have the disc in the drive to play css or hl2, its linked to his steam account.
Ive just checked this with my own eyes.

Clown

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
My son has hl2 on the disc, and he definately doesnt have to have the disc in the drive to play css or hl2, its linked to his steam account.
Ive just checked this with my own eyes.
How? What? How?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Simple, he has a Steam account , like all of us I assume, and the game is on his list in the "play games" list , and so he can play it, same as cs or dod or whatever.
You have linked hl2 to Steam have you? You could check by seeing if ur steam id's are the same for all games.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Man, I click the icon and I play the game. I don't know anything else. I haven't even changed my config.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Do you have a Steam icon in the bottom right of your taskbar?
I assume you have.
If so, click on it, then click on "play games". Hopefully a list of games should pop up. Hopefully HL2 and CSS should be among them. Try that mate.
If not click on "Browse games" then click on HL2 and see if it says summat like "you already got this game" then transfers it to your steam list.
Like I said, you can definately play CSS without the disc :)
If that dont work let me know Ill try and think why not.

edit , it will look like this -
things.msnw

Sar

Part of the furniture
There was an update a while back that removed the CD check from the game.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yep the update removed the need for a cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom