Crazy crazy puzzle....

D

DApea!

The puzzle is undoubtedly thousands of years old.

O

old.Fweddy

Its easy. I'll let someone who hasn't seen it before figure it out though.

X

xpok

Originally posted by old.Fweddy
Its easy. I'll let someone who hasn't seen it before figure it out though.

Its not that easy surely... :eek:

T

Testin da Cable

it's smoke and mirrors isn't it? you pop the trick question and the guards die or something?

O

old.Fweddy

Ooops, I didn't notice one guard could lie or tell the truth. I know what to do if he always lies, but this I'm not so sure about.

D

DApea!

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
it's smoke and mirrors isn't it? you pop the trick question and the guards die or something?

Lmao :)

And sorry xpok for being such a miserable bastard :)

X

xpok

Originally posted by Testin da Cable

lol!

Remember, you can ask one question ONLY, not one each

W

Wij

"If I asked the other guard whether the door he was guarding was the door to life, would he say yes ?"

O

old.Fweddy

Thats what I was thinking, but it wouldn't work if they might both be telling the truth.

X

xpok

Originally posted by Wij
"If I asked the other guard whether the door he was guarding was the door to life, would he say yes ?"

wp :D

X

xpok

Originally posted by old.Fweddy
Thats what I was thinking, but it wouldn't work if they might both be telling the truth.

it works

EDIT: Although i feel there may have been a typo....

:D

D

danger

that's no excuse ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffssss :eek: :D :p

N

nath

Originally posted by Wij

If you ask that of the liar/truther he'd either say no or yes, depending on whether he was lying or telling the truth. If you asked that of the guy who only told the truth, he'd say no or yes, depending on whether the other guy would tell the truth or not..

O

old.Fweddy

Originally posted by xpok
it works

You sure?

You ask one guard the question, he says yes. if one of them is lying it isn't that door, if they're both telling the truth it is.

If you ask a guard and he says no when one of them is lying then it is that door while if they're both telling the truth it isn't.

D

danger

no in the REAL puzzle... one guard will always tell the truth and one will always lie... I'm sure they've gotten it slightly wrong on reading it closely so that one will always tell the truth the other will lie or tell the truth, so this solution no longer works....

in the REAL one it works thusly
i.e. if you ask the one who's telling the truth "if I were to ask the other one if he were guarding the door to life would he say yes" then if the one you asked is the liar and he says "yes" then you know it's not the door to life because that means the other would tell the truth which would be no.... if he were telling the truth then he would also say yes because the other would say yes however the other one would be lying... see?

N

nath

If I recall, this little puzzle was in the film labyrinth.

O

old.Fweddy

I know it works fine for the real one.

Ooops, I didn't notice one guard could lie or tell the truth. I know what to do if he always lies, but this I'm not so sure about.

see? I said that before anyone said the solution. I was pointing out it won't work for this. I assumed this must be a less well known, more advanced version with a completely diferent solution. Either that or some dumb fuck is posting impossible puzzles.

X

xpok

Stop gang banging up on me :(, i blame Wij tbh :D

EDIT: Ye, there was a typo when i put it together in fireworks

O

old.Fweddy

I win :clap:

You have twelve coins, eleven identical and one different. You do not know whether the "odd" coin is lighter or heavier than the others. Someone gives you a balance and three chances to use it. The question is: How can you make just three weighings on the balance and find out not only which coin is the "odd" coin, but also whether it's heavier or lighter?

T

Tom

My brain hurts from visiting the Donnie Darko website, and now this!

X

xpok

Well ive been thinking for the past 2 minutes and I cant work it out. I give up :(

Users who are viewing this thread