Politics Coronavirus

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's NHS direct cost but there's a load of other indirects that show overall it's a massive societal burden.

Can't remember the study, think it may have been the bmj or something. But meh.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The cost of smoking to the UK Government is approximately £12.6 billion a year, made up of £1.4 billion spent on social care for smoking related care needs, £2.5 billion spent on NHS services and £8.6 billion of lost productivity in businesses*

8.6 billion to business is the biggest loss, it would be interesting to know how that figure is arrived at, seems a lot of days on the sick just for having a fag.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'd like to know the stats for:

Money lost on smokers who take breaks every two hours - AGAINST - Money lost on people who abuse sick leave policy.
Money lost on low performing people - AGAINST - Money lost against high performing smokers (So stats based on throughput etc) (And the reverse)

Shitty maths below:

Assume you go out for 10m every two hours, 30m of loss a day.
2 1/2h a week.
10h a month, 120h a year.

That's (for the sake of rounding) 1 day per month of time smoking instead of working. Assume the average salary is 30k a year here. Also assuming the average working year is 255 days...

So £30,000 / 255 days = £120 (day/rounded up). Add an average of 2 days sick leave per month: 120 + 120*2 = £360.

To clarify, that's a potential of 3 working days at £360 in terms of monetary loss of hiring a smoker.

An average person takes 2 days off a month (minimum) sick leave, so it's a £120 (£360-£240) a month difference between a non-smoker and smoker in terms of time loss.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You can't just look at figures like what smoking and obesity costs to treat. You have to also consider what it costs society to have skilled people, who might otherwise be healthy, productive individuals, die prematurely.

For example, how many grandparents look after children while their parents are working? And what does that save the taxpayer in childcare? They can't do a very good job if they're dead now can they?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Who the fuck is taking 2 days off a month sick leave?

I don't know many people who take that many a year.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Not contractors, that's for sure.

I haven't had 2 days off sick in the last 10 years.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

Do you work in NGO/NFP/Public sector? (Ex. Teaching) - It's more common than you think. That's why there's such a thing called "sickness policy" for full time staff.

JBP|

Part of the furniture

I've had 3 days off sick this year due to spazzing my back and waiting 40 minutes for an ambulance to come and scrape me off the floor. Prior to that my sick days for the previous 10 years has been 0.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Do you work in NGO/NFP/Public sector? (Ex. Teaching) - It's more common than you think. That's why there's such a thing called "sickness policy" for full time staff.
Ive worked in Employment Law in local government. A few wastes of space going on long term sick would not bump the average up to 2 days a month for everyone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not contractors, that's for sure.

I haven't had 2 days off sick in the last 10 years.
Yep. I've had precicely 2 in the last decade.

Friend of mine went permie yesterday. First question I asked him: "when you going on the sick"? :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Considering it kills 50% of people who partake do you think death is the only problem smoking causes?

Good news is the other 50% go on to live forever, so as long as you're happy with those odds smoke away I'd say.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Good news is the other 50% go on to live forever, so as long as you're happy with those odds smoke away I'd say.
You literally can't help yourself can you :)

Lets face it, the other 50% go on to have the same level of mortality, but a generally a much lower standard of all-round health and much higher disease burden than non-smoking population.

But whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel good...

Bodhi

You literally can't help yourself can you :)

Lets face it, the other 50% go on to have the same level of mortality, but a generally a much lower standard of all-round health and much higher disease burden than non-smoking population.

But whatever you need to tell yourself to make yourself feel good...

Well I've had two less sick days than you over the last decade so in comparison to your non-smoking self I'd say my all round health was pretty good tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well I've had two less sick days than you over the last decade so in comparison to your non-smoking self I'd say my all round health was pretty good tbh.
I said "sick days". I never said I was ill ;)

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I agree as I very much doubt spazzing my back is a smoking related injury.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The study concluded that development of lower back pain was significantly associated with smoking history and hypertension, and development of lumbar spondylosis was significantly associated with smoking history, and hypertension and high cholesterol.

Firstly I don't suffer with hypertension, secondly my cholesterol is bob on.
I know this due to having a well man check up with my doctor 3 years ago and he said I'd be dead in 10 years due to a massively high triglyceride count.
He wanted to put me on stating which I didnt take. I had another check up one month later which found all my levels to be bang on range.
How did i achieve this you may ask, I simply changed my diet and cut out processed shite and took vit b12 supplements.
The doctor was amazed at the results and said keep doing whatever it was you did.

So in short no smoking didn't spaz my back but lifting incorrectly did.

Bodhi

Now I'm not a doctor, however I suspect that your back pain was more closely linked to you injuring it lifting weights than smoking.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Didn't really think it was @JBP| - I was simply making the point that smoking is associated with a metric fuckton of disease and illness.

That's the technical term too. :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
You gobshites not taking sick days are the reason seasonal flu spreads so much and kills people. If you are sick take time to rest and recover away from everyone else dont be the dickhead "pushing through the pain", companies have insurance to cover your wages when you are sick it costs them nothing (and if they dont they are idiots). And if you are a contractor well that's part of the deal for earning more than permies no? Deal with it and stop infecting the rest of us

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You gobshites not taking sick days are the reason seasonal flu spreads so much and kills people. If you are sick take time to rest and recover away from everyone else dont be the dickhead "pushing through the pain"
I just don't get sick.

I put it down to eating home cooked food and no processed food ever and riding my bike a lot.

Oh. And not having kids. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom