Politics Coronavirus

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
There is no magic money tree!

Inb4 Boris resigns and gets a nice job for the pharma bros.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The '20 minute test' doesn't exist. If it did, it would be in common use.

Boris Johnson is lying to you.
There was one talked about a few weeks back but it has too many false negatives at the moment. And we all know its not reliable enough to do this kind of thing yet if at all.

i do know.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
100 billion is nearly the annual NHS budget and twice the defence budget. It's a mind-boggling amount to spunk away on wishful thinking. Imagine the tax-payers alliance reaction if Corbyn had proposed it :)

Gwadien

There was one talked about a few weeks back but it has too many false negatives at the moment. And we all know its not reliable enough to do this kind of thing yet if at all.

i do know.

Do you regret voting for him?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Call me Mr Conspiracy, but considering XR have stated they are going to bring Britain to a halt over the winter with disruptive protests.

What perfect timing to bring in new laws and a blanket ban on over 6 people inside or out.

Regardless of wether or not they ignore it, it certainly plays into the hands of the authorities as increased justification to round them all and arrest with public backing.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
To be fair he could cark it tomorrow, then we can have Gove as PM! Think of the possibilities

Wij

I am a FH squatter
To be fair he could cark it tomorrow, then we can have Gove as PM! Think of the possibilities
As he is Murdoch's top fanboy I'd imagine a tax levied on the poorest 40% of the population to ensure they get a copy of The Sun.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Wait...what?

They sort of came as a package.
It was better than corbyn and the labour dudes. If Starma was leader then it might have been a closer thing. But they didnt want brexit. Or didnt support it.

hind sight is always clearer than predicting the future. And i dont think corbyn would have handled this any better than the current mob.
its easy to hate who are currently there if you disagree with the things they are doing. You make a choice at the time with the manifests then.

if we knew there was gonna be a pandemic i think we would have voted a doctor in or someone with medical background.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Corbyn wanted Brexit. Don't you remember him calling for article 50 to be invoked the day after the referendum?

Anyway, I'm not arguing which way you should have voted in 2019. Just to say that saying you didn't vote for Johnson seems a bit weird. Sure he wasn't on your ballot paper but you knew you were getting him.

Gwadien

Also in this country you dont vote for the leader.

That's such horse shit.

The way that the political systems work in the UK vs US, sure, you do vote for the party more than you vote for the leader.

But you clearly vote for the person that is leading the party, how else would you explain that Boris did so much better at the elections compared to May? Because Boris had Cummings. Cummings likes to distort reality :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
Again that is just how shit JC was to the majority that he couldn't beat Boris.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Also in this country you dont vote for the leader.

nintchdbpict000323213499.jpg

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
JC was not great but I still voted Labour as it was the least worse idiot

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If Starmer was in charge at the time I'd have voted labour, but not JC .... :cry:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
That's such horse shit.

The way that the political systems work in the UK vs US, sure, you do vote for the party more than you vote for the leader.

But you clearly vote for the person that is leading the party, how else would you explain that Boris did so much better at the elections compared to May? Because Boris had Cummings. Cummings likes to distort reality :)
most of the leadership changed and the manifesto was different. incase you forgot it was a brexit election and there was only one team for brexit.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Corbyn wanted Brexit. Don't you remember him calling for article 50 to be invoked the day after the referendum?

Anyway, I'm not arguing which way you should have voted in 2019. Just to say that saying you didn't vote for Johnson seems a bit weird. Sure he wasn't on your ballot paper but you knew you were getting him.
Labour were on the fence. Theres a lot of time between 2016 and 2019 dec.

and yes i knew i was getting him and he was a better choice than corbyn. But it was the manifesto and the partys offering as a whole that you vote for not the individual. You vote for an individual in the usa presidential election.

here its the collective as you said its part of a package. You vote for that. Not just for the leader.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Labour were on the fence. Theres a lot of time between 2016 and 2019 dec.

and yes i knew i was getting him and he was a better choice than corbyn. But it was the manifesto and the partys offering as a whole that you vote for not the individual. You vote for an individual in the usa presidential election.

here its the collective as you said its part of a package. You vote for that. Not just for the leader.
It's the same effect. You know that voting Conservative increases the chance of Johnson becoming the leader of your country and voting Labour increases the chance of the other guy.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I dont understand why eveeyones talking about a vaccine that actually has little hope of appearing.
Aids vaccine?
Nope 40 years and counting.
Common cold...aint happening ever.

A major setback announced as volunteer has serious reaction to one of the major frontrunners.

That pretty well ended mass takeup and Im fucked if I'd be rushing down to get a vaccine brought out in sheer panic.

Its just going to burn through and it looks like Sweden got it right.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's the same effect. You know that voting Conservative increases the chance of Johnson becoming the leader of your country and voting Labour increases the chance of the other guy.
Until they get replaced.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
"They opposed the 100,000 tests and did we deliver that? Yes we did"

Fucking liar. For starters, when did Labour oppose more testing? Secondly, the government "delivered" it because a) they pretended that they were talking about testing capacity all along and not actual tests carried out and b) they changed how they counted the tests in the run up to the deadline to include kits they were chucking in the post. And they couldn't even sustain that - they "delivered" it for 1 day before falling well below from then on.

This is probably the single best example of what I said above, about them putting more energy towards looking like they're doing a good job than actually trying to do a good job. They changed how they counted tests and they deliberately sent them out on the day that'd make them count towards the total on the day of the deadline, then they immediately dropped off again afterwards - almost as if they were concentrating all their effort on hitting some meaningless target.

According to their own site, they didn't hit 100,000 actual tests a day until the end of May.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
What I have actually enjoyed about living in Sweden during this time is that they set a strategy made very small adjustments along the way and communicated very very clearly to citizens in all languages (eventually). Where they saw that they had made errors (eg with elderly) adjustments were made. When numbers changed the medicual experts are not running around like headless chickens they are analysing and explaining twice per week. As far as isolation and vacations are concerned the authorities recommendations are not based generally (with in EU) on infection rates but who allowed Sweden to travel to their countries and as they opened up to Sweden, Sweden adjusted their recommendations accordingly. So even though at one point the UKs infection rate was lower the 14 day recommendation for UK travellers is still in place here.

Life here just seems to be so much calmer than the used-to-be "Great Britain" experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom