Politics Coronavirus

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My son's whole class has been sent home. Two kids with delta. Just taken him for a COVID test, and the entire test centre was packed with young kids. Its going through the school system here like wildfire and of course kids aren't on any of the contact tracing apps.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, you are clearly wrong, and they are all faking it, apparently kids can't catch or spread it in schools, the Tories said so.

Touch wood, my wife's school has minimal cases.

It's all very predictable, adult immunity waning, winter on the doorstep, I reckon it's going to be a bit of a shitty Christmas again.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
New lockdown incoming because for some reason the authorities can't accept covid does happen in schools :S

Gwadien

I find it somewhat fitting that my email for my 2nd day results was sent to my spam.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
No, you are clearly wrong, and they are all faking it, apparently kids can't catch or spread it in schools, the Tories said so.

Touch wood, my wife's school has minimal cases.

It's all very predictable, adult immunity waning, winter on the doorstep, I reckon it's going to be a bit of a shitty Christmas again.

The way its reported here if one kid gets covid, and whole family is infected it still only counts as one case in school. And if said kid has been in contact with other kids outside of school who get infected (even if they go to same school) its still only considered 1 case. It feels like a terrible fudge of numbers to make it look better than it is tbh

Gwadien

We're back to business as usual. Face to face learning at university? Yep. Seems sensible. Or they could just record the lectures for one year and everyone could simply watch the videos.

It's obviously going to cause another lockdown though and they'll be the ones with the shortest straw.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So my son's first test came back negative, which means my daughter can go back to school on Monday, but he can't until he's had his second test at the end of next week.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's obviously going to cause another lockdown though and they'll be the ones with the shortest straw.
Everyone's vaccinated who wants to be. No more lockdowns can be justified tbh.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Everyone's vaccinated who wants to be. No more lockdowns can be justified tbh.
They can if the nhs cant handle the numbers.

unless you dump the non vaxxors in a field and just treat the rest.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Funnily enough...
We suspected this would happen ages ago though. So whilst it's welcome (yet predicted) news it's also simply confirmation that, rather than trying to use honest intellectual argument, the tories have lied to try to scare young adults into getting vaccinated because, specifically in developed countries, they're acting like selfish self-entitled arseholes.

But the tories knew all along that it was regressive, authoritarian asshattery and would have set incredibly dangerous precedents - if you can justify this sort of shit then you can justify loads of shit.

I think it's a really bad game for tories to be playing for all sorts of reasons. Not just because hordes of people feel that their innate authoritarian streak is legitimised by the very existence of discussion about illiberal 'punishment' actions.

The problem with authoritarianism is that as a species we're comprised of loads of mini-hitlers and we bring about our own authoritarian nightmares for not being for freedom - we're only really for freedoms that we agree with personally and we want everyone else to OBEY.

What about flying though? Should everyone have to pay up for multiple tests and have to isolate?
Completely different argument than vaccine passports being used interally within a country to coercively remove freedom of choice.

But there are pitfalls here too.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We suspected this would happen ages ago though. So whilst it's welcome (yet predicted) news it's also simply confirmation that, rather than trying to use honest intellectual argument, the tories have lied to try to scare young adults into getting vaccinated because, specifically in developed countries, they're acting like selfish self-entitled arseholes.

But the tories knew all along that it was regressive, authoritarian asshattery and would have set incredibly dangerous precedents - if you can justify this sort of shit then you can justify loads of shit.

I think it's a really bad game for tories to be playing for all sorts of reasons. Not just because hordes of people feel that their innate authoritarian streak is legitimised by the very existence of discussion about illiberal 'punishment' actions.

The problem with authoritarianism is that as a species we're comprised of loads of mini-hitlers and we bring about our own authoritarian nightmares for not being for freedom - we're only really for freedoms that we agree with personally and we want everyone else to OBEY.

Completely different argument than vaccine passports being used interally within a country to coercively remove freedom of choice.

But there are pitfalls here too.
The poison dwarf in scottieland just announced that they will be having passports

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Funnily enough...

What about flying though? Should everyone have to pay up for multiple tests and have to isolate?

They are talking about ditching that too.
Just have a "red" list of countries you can't go to and all others free to go without testing.

And then phase out the red list

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Only works if the rest of the world follow.. the eu require a vaccine passport

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Only works if the rest of the world follow.. the eu require a vaccine passport
Think its for internal purposes. More than external which would need to be global and have all countries agree on which jabs are acceptable. And not just kick back because a batch is made in india even though its the exact same vax

Yoni

The EU have already agreed @Moriath - it does not need to be global in the slightest any country or group can decide who they will allow accross their borders. Even in Europe we abide by the request of the country we are visiting...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Who's got money on various vaccine passport apps not working in various countries as the next almighty clusterfuck? Travelling to the US when we're actually allowed to is going to be hilariously bad.

Yoni

They are working Bodhi in the EU not sure how it works outside - I have not travelled but have a friend who has a house in Spain and my sister lives in Greece 6 months of the year.

Bodhi

Lol. Media matters.

Wouldn't you be better just linking straight to the Democrat Party website?

Anyway, if we look at a slightly more respectable institution's view on it:

For COVID-19, ivermectin has shown promising results as a potential treatment in small studies in humans.

With known antiviral properties, ivermectin has been shown to reduce SARS-CoV-2 replication in laboratory studies. Small pilot studies show that early administration with ivermectin can reduce viral load and the duration of symptoms in some patients with mild COVID-19. Even though ivermectin is used routinely in some countries to treat COVID-19, there is little evidence from large-scale randomised controlled trials to demonstrate that it can speed up recovery from the illness or reduce hospital admission.

So one of our most esteemed research institutions has decided that, despite all the cries of "horse dewormer" from people who should really know better, there is enough promise in IVM to warrant a full RCT on it, the results of which will be interesting. Bearing in mind that the FDA called IVM the third wonder drug after penicillin and aspirin (which has also proved beneficial in small studies), I do find the current narrative that IVM will kill everyone quite bemusing. Especially given the FDA also said back then:

Ivermectin has continually proved to be astonishingly safe for human use. Indeed, it is such a safe drug, with minimal side effects, that it can be administered by non-medical staff and even illiterate individuals in remote rural communities, provided that they have had some very basic, appropriate training.

To make COVID properly go away we'll need both the vaccines and effective treatments, and apart from the monoclonial antibody products, we are very light on the latter at the moment. This is why I don't understand the determination of certain people - well, Democrats anyway - to slate every potential treatment that comes along, and state that it doesn't work when we haven't studied it enough to know that.

tl:dr Stop politicising a fucking pandemic you knobbers.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So one of our most esteemed research institutions has decided that, despite all the cries of "horse dewormer" from people who should really know better, there is enough promise in IVM to warrant a full RCT
Sorry Bodhi. Putting human IVM in for an RCT isn't the same as fox news encouraging the wholesale use of untested horse IVM by retards, whilst discouraging proven safe and effective vaccination.

Randomised controlled trial? Good.
Non-tested horse drugs. Bad.
Anti-vax. Bad.

It's as simple as that.

Bodhi

Sorry Bodhi. Putting human IVM in for an RCT isn't the same as fox news encouraging the wholesale use of untested horse IVM by retards, whilst discouraging proven safe and effective vaccination.

Randomised controlled trial? Good.
Non-tested horse drugs. Bad.
Anti-vax. Bad.

It's as simple as that.

Maybe they wouldn't be trying the horse version if the human version was easier to get hold of? Some doctors in the US will prescribe it "off-label", however with the joys of doctor access in the poorer parts of the US you end up with people going to veterinary stores. IVM is off patent now so there really is no excuse for any supply constraints, it would be easy enough to say "We don't have enough info to tell if it works or not, however if you want to try it, it's available from X and the safe dose is Y, however it won't be as effective as the vaccine, so try that first".

"Get the vaccine Republican horse bothering scum" is a much less compelling argument, and won't change anyone's mind. Also, given people who have been vaccinated are still getting ill and even passing away, seems an effective treatment would still be useful. In fact I think we can say that with both vaccines and treatments, this entire thing goes away.

In fact I note with interest Boris has unveiled our "winter plan" to deal with the virus:

NEW: The Government's Winter Covid Plan in Full

Pharmaceutical interventions: vaccines, antivirals and disease modifying therapeutics

Of which antivirals does he speak? Have we actually found an effective one (Genuine question)?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sorry, but you're just plain old nuts if you take meds because some moron on social media told you so and small scale studies mean dick.

I mean, what is wrong with these people? Vaccine, heavily tested, commonly used with very few side effects, not interested, some random horse drug, oh yeah mate, I'll dose myself up with that!

Fucks sake, this is why Darwinism is a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom