Politics Coronavirus

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Hey all, not exactly a political post and I guess coming indirectly related to covid. First heads up this is not a post for sympathy or talking down to anyone at all. Yesterday we got some terrible news that our Young Nephew took his own life aged 13. Nothing covid related in terms of physical health, but I cannot help thinking that lockdown is having such a huge impact on people all across the spectrum. At least as adults (hopefully) we recognise things like isolation, loneliness and raise our hands for help. Kids?!?! what sounding board do they have, what reference point do they have for not having friends to speak to day in day out, teachers, sports coaches. By no means do I think this situation or countless ones like it should be used as means for relaxing social distancing etc, if anything, it's an example where as a nation we should do more for the mental health of our people.

Moreover as a nice request, reach out to someone, especially the young un's who are sat in their bedrooms all day every day. reach out the ones isolated or who dont have the social skills to stick their hands in the air and ask for five minutes of your time. No doubt if the youngs ask you why you asking, they are perfectly fine :)

Anyway, hope you know where im coming from
I absolutely understand were you are coming from and I am so very sorry for your loss :( - I have a lot of employees in my direct reach and during this process my managers have discussions about those that are becoming more introverted and distanced and reaching out - this virus has really changed the skill set required as a manger - even for managers who are already a head of the curve of "new managerial techniques"..

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
In better news, it looks to all intents and purposes as if the "scary new variant" was a bit of a damp squib - seems to have peaked in the south around Xmas, and is struggling to assert much dominance elsewhere.

View: https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1352614271788740609?s=20

Will be interesting to see why, my own hypothesis is that the 70% figure came from a computer model and reality isn't working out the same way - consider me intrigued however.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
So it turns out BAME being more likely to suffer from covid by ethnicity alone is claptrap.
Well thats the latest conclusion.
Though it is emotional, so I'll wait and see.

The University of Glasgow did research on this topic back in Mar-May last year with data from the UK Biobank study covering some 392k people. They stated that socio economic factors alone did not account for the higher instances of infection and related BAME deaths but it was still a factor.

Being Male middle aged and having co-morbitities is still a greater issue, there has been numerous studies on this and anecdotal evidence has proven this time and time again.

Its not claptrap, its just not the only factor. You just need to look at the 200+ NHS workers that have died of covid in the last 10 months, a significant portion of them are BAME.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
In better news, it looks to all intents and purposes as if the "scary new variant" was a bit of a damp squib - seems to have peaked in the south around Xmas, and is struggling to assert much dominance elsewhere.

View: https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1352614271788740609?s=20

Will be interesting to see why, my own hypothesis is that the 70% figure came from a computer model and reality isn't working out the same way - consider me intrigued however.

As the tests used by the public cant differentiate between the strains, what kind of algorithms are they using to guesstimate?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Much of the SE was in lockdown ... tier 4 ... prior to the national lockdown 🤯

Uh-huh. Looking at that "cases" peaked in London around the 27th. It's a minimum of 10 days from infection to testing positive, Tier 4 didn't come in until the 20th, peak infections was around the 17th.

SAGE usually say to allow measures 2 - 3 weeks to show up in the case data, so once more things have peaked before anything was done. Common story this!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Uh-huh. Looking at that "cases" peaked in London around the 27th. It's a minimum of 10 days from infection to testing positive, Tier 4 didn't come in until the 20th, peak infections was around the 17th.

SAGE usually say to allow measures 2 - 3 weeks to show up in the case data, so once more things have peaked before anything was done. Common story this!
Uh-huh.

Well, if you'd actually bothered to go to the ONS website rather than just reading twitter you'd have seen that the data from that graph is the "Modelled percentage of cases which are compatible with the new variant (ORF1ab- and N-gene positive) and other variants based on nose and throat swabs, daily, by region since 6 December 2020, England"

So, they'd been testing, then they got to a point and said "from this data, we reckon this is what the graph must look like" - so it doesn't matter if there's a 2-3 week lag, because that's taken account of in their model.

So, back to my original answer: lockdowns.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker

Have you got an info of that 10 days from infection to testing positive? I've not heard of that before. I read a paper last week in NOVA that quotes Pitzer (Epidemiologist) , Messaoudi (Viral Immunologist) and Lee (Virologist) that you can test positive after just 4 days.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Didnt say how much more tho. Seemingly its a small change 0.3% or so from his example. I think they are just trying to scare ppl to being more compliant.
you can always have a house party and test the theory?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
you can always have a house party and test the theory?
Dont be silly.

the press conference was a farce. It was not enough data, maybe, could be.

the pm opened up with we have been seeing that the new variant is more deadly. And no more details for 5 mins till the scientist explained it.

i am hardly going out and havent been for ages. But what they just did based on ifs buts and maybes was just another way to scare people who are not doing what they should into compliance.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Dont be silly.

the press conference was a farce. It was not enough data, maybe, could be.

the pm opened up with we have been seeing that the new variant is more deadly. And no more details for 5 mins till the scientist explained it.

i am hardly going out and havent been for ages. But what they just did based on ifs buts and maybes was just another way to scare people who are not doing what they should into compliance.

I guess technically, as its more transmissible it will result in higher mortality. Depends how they phrased it, Higher Mortality Rate or Higher Mortality.

After stupid fucking stunts like 400 people at a wedding, they may well have to resort to childish messages to get it across to the fucktards that seem to have ignored the fact were in a pandemic, BUT I never saw it so I don't know the wording used.

Desperate times, desperate measures etc

Job

God god.
Hes hinting at a summer lockdown.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
God god.
Hes hinting at a summer lockdown.
Actually saying this lockdown will probably be extended rather than a different one. They woken up and worked out yoyo isnt good and going for lowest cases is the best thing

Embattle

FH is my second home
Well the main issue is even with case numbers dropping hospitals are still rammed, opening up again quickly isn't possible.

Job

Hospitals are always rammed this time of year.
I took a family member to hospital last week, shes got a lump...needs removing, no chemo needed.
Op booked for next Friday, waited 4 days for test results.

We are one of the highest covid rates in the country...the hospitals are cruising.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I took a family member to hospital last week, shes got a lump...needs removing, no chemo needed.

We are one of the highest covid rates in the country...the hospitals are cruising.

You epic fucking cunt.

(Edited to add 'fucking')

(2nd edit to add 'epic')

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

You're lying again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom